Towing a 19 with a Highlander? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2013, 12:19 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Towing a 19 with a Highlander?

I am looking at a Toyota Highlander - V6 4WD Sport as a tow vehicle for my on order 19. I have no towing experience. I have already read some favorable posts regarding towing with the Highlander, but I am interested in hearing about performance on steep hills (like the Coquihalla in BC) and gas mileage while towing an Escape 19.

The 4Runner is another option, which might be more capable as a tow with larger engine and more torque, but I prefer the Highlander overall, if it can do the job for me.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:26 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Will be anxious to hear the responses. We have a 2004 Toyota Tundra now but are considering adding a Highlander to our "fleet" and would like to be able to use it with our 19'. My husband's research so far indicates that the new Highlander would certainly be up to the task (probably better than our Tundra which is woefully underpowered in the towing field).
Jan & John
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:03 AM   #3

Trailer: No more Escape 21
I have a 2008 Highlander Limited and towed the 19 Escape. No problem towing outside of lower fuel economy. I get 15 (US) mpg overall while towing.

At the first Escape Rally at Merritt, I drove to Merritt from Chilliwack without difficulty. Just slowed down as the steeper areas.

I plan to use the Highlander to pull our new 21 Escape.

Be aware that for US Highlanders, the towing package is not a complete package. You need to purchase a hitch and a wiring kit. And the wiring kit is only a 4 wire setup. You are on your own to add the needed additional wires. I have done this to 4 other Highlanders; it's not a hard task. Just too bad Toyota didn't do it for the Highlander as part of the towing package.

Kirk, I looked at the Toyota site and, for at least US vehicles, the 2013 4Runner is rated for 4,700 pounds towing while the Highlander is rated at 5,000 pounds. Weird
Old 09-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #4

Rick, thanks for the response. On the Canadian Highlander, the hitch and wiring (4 pin onl) are listed as accessories only, not as part of a tow package. The 4Runner comes with the hitch, 7 pin wiring with brake prewire as a standard feature. in Canada, both are rated for 5000 lbs.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #5

Trailer: 2006 17C
We have a 2011 4Runner SR5 and a 17C. This is our first travel trailer and our first year using this set up. So far, we have towed in Alberta and BC a total of 5000 km and it has been a great!! We drive the speed limit and slow down a bit for the steep uphill sections, and we are averaging 13.8 L/100km. (17 U.S. mpg). Without the trailer we are at 13 L/100 km city and 10.5 L/100km highway (18 mpg and 22.5 mpg US).

Travelling in the Okanagan this summer, we spent hours driving in 37C weather while pulling the loaded trailer and the temp gauge never moved!!

With kids, bikes, gear, food, drink, and dog, we probably carry between 700 and 1000 lbs on each trip. I really like the fact that it doesn't feel like the 4Runner is having to work very hard to maintain speed. There is a lot of reserve power and the vehicle does not sit much lower in the back when hooked up. I usually have 290 - 395 lbs on the hitch (including hitch and bars).

I really like the 4Runner besides the fact that it can tow well. We have the 7 seat package so there is lots of room for all the kids. It is quiet and there is good viability. The engine is a bit rough for a modern engine and it does drive like a truck. I like that, but some people don't. We looked at Highlanders as well and my wife preferred it to the Runner. I liked that the Runner is rear wheel drive, ladder frame (opposed to unibody) and more off road oriented. Not that I will ever do much off road driving with a $45000.00 vehicle!! The Highlander was nice and quiet and smooth, especially the hybrid. I really liked that vehicle...

I hope this helps a bit. I am really happy with my set up.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Lost Croz, I also like the 4Runner for the truck chassis which, according to one expert, is supposed to be better for towing. In addition, I have seen some manufacturers say that a Unibody should not have a WDH used with it. We get the same MPG as you for our 19' so I am thrilled with that 17. The 4Runner is also very roomy.

KirkB, you can probably use a Highlander but you need to check all of the numbers: curb weight, GVWR, GCWR, towing capacity that I assume is with towing package added, and look at how loaded up your vehicle will be. If you get the GCWR straight and the other numbers that make it up, you will see exactly what your situation would be. Either vehicle would likely work but they are vehicles with different purposes.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 17B
We recently sold our 2011 Highlander and own a 2012 4 runner. We just put a deposit down on a new 17B so I have not specifically pulled a escape trailer, but have towed other items and prefer the 4runner for towing. The biggest thing is you can add airbags to a 4runner, but can't to a highlander. Once you load down a highlander with gear and 4 people there is no easy way to level the highlander. Certainly a WDH will help a highlander, but you could never install airbags.

The highlander certainly has more comforts. I prefer the seats and steering wheel in the 4runner, but do miss the rear ac vents on the roof.
smilycook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #8

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
We are on our way home after about 2 weeks on the road - our first trip with the 2012 Highlander and 19. We travelled from Vancouver Island, stopped in Kamloops a few days, then several campsites in Jasper, then Dawson Creek and now back in Kamloops. We have averaged 16.8 L/100 km on this trip and our average not towing is around 11 L/100 km. We are running 46 psi in the trailer tires and 36 in the Highlander. I try to travel with empty tanks except 1/3 for fresh water, the trailer is probably a bit overstocked with food, tools, and other stuff.

The Highlander had to work going over the summit of the Coq and the steep stretch before the Icefields Parkway - slowed to about 60 kms/hr over Coq summit. I wasn't pushing it too hard and the engine temp never moved above normal. More torque would be nice but not necessary. I found I was able to keep up to other RV's, perhaps maybe a bit faster. We plan to do this trip every year as well as Alaska and do not plan to replace the vehicle. I think proper maintenance of the tow vehicle for towing is key particularly if towing in the mountains.

I think a WDH/sway is a must to level the vehicle and tow out and reduce sway. You notice the 19 behind you but I found it was always under control. I have tightened the Anderson hitch to 8 threads showing and the tow vehicle is near level. I will post photos when I get home in about 4 days.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I go up the Coq in 4, sometimes it drops down to 3, towing a 17B ( loaded ) with a RAV4 V6. I'm doing 80 kph at the steepest portion.
You must be babying that Highlander.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:12 AM   #10

I think any V6 SUV or small size pickup with a 5k towing capacity will pull the 19 fine with a WDH. The 4 Runner and Tacoma is a 4.0 L versus the 3.5 L in the Highlander. The 4.0 L gives you about 15% more torque so should tow better. We use the Highlander for towing about 25% of the time and do not need a bigger vehicle so it's a good balance for towing and everyday use for us.

Not having towed over the Coq before with this tow vehicle I did not want to overdo it over the last 2 kms before the top of the summit and no one was immediately behind me in the slow lane. Last time I pushed my SUV in the mountains the vehicle ended up in the garage for a week (Jeep CRD Grand Cherokee).
Old 09-14-2013, 12:58 AM   #11

Thanks to all to have replied.

I have guesstimated our travel weights and we should have some spare capacity before hitting the rated weights. It will be my wife and dog, not a SUV full of kids. The GCWR is 9840 lbs, I estimate curb weight 4200, passengers 350 (including dog!), luggage 250, 19' trailer 4000 lbs., leaving 1000 lbs. leeway. I haven't had the luxury of a trailer before, I can't imagine that we will really have any luggage in the TV after packing the trailer.

I plan to get the Andersen WDH with sway control - the HL user manual says sway control is required for towing over 2000 lbs anyway. Gordon indicates the WDH will keep the TV close to level, so I am not worried about upgrades to the suspension.

I do feel that the 4Runner might tow somewhat better, but the Highlander feels more comfortable to ride in.

Interesting that in the thread about TV for the 21, 2 people are suggesting they use a Highlander with the 21, so I should probably not be worried about using it for a 19. I might need to take it easy on some of the nasty hills, but otherwise should be OK with the Highlander.

The RAV4 that Baglo uses for his 17 has the same engine type as the Highlander, although it may have been tweaked in 5 years. Even though the 17 is a few pounds lighter, Baglo must have a light load of beer compared to Gordon's load of food, etc to get a 20 kph advantage on the Coq.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:22 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post
The RAV4 that Baglo uses for his 17 has the same engine type as the Highlander, although it may have been tweaked in 5 years. Even though the 17 is a few pounds lighter, Baglo must have a light load of beer compared to Gordon's load of food, etc to get a 20 kph advantage on the Coq.
Or he used more of the same available power, by driving in one gear lower when at the same road speed, or just by pushing the pedal down further.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:24 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharper View Post
Last time I pushed my SUV in the mountains the vehicle ended up in the garage for a week (Jeep CRD Grand Cherokee).
The myth of the mighty diesel falls?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
When it slowed to 70 kph or nearly, I pressed harder on the gas and it dropped to third, pulling me up to 80. But, I let the auto transmission decide. The one time that I manually selected 3 and booted it up the Coq at 90 kph, the transmission warning light came on. The manual says not to do that, and so I don't, anymore.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #15

I think a RAV V6 and a 17 Escape total weight would be approx 1,000 lbs less than a Highlander V6 and a 19. Perhaps another reason for the V6 RAV/Escape 17 combo doing a bit better on the hills than a Highlander/Escape 19.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:11 AM   #16

I agree that if the two rigs have the same power and one is heavier, the one with the lighter load (the Rav4/17 in this case) should be able to sustain a higher speed with the same amount of throttle. I was just joking about the lack of beer.... But each driver will have his own comfort level about how hard to push (or is it pull) his load up a steep incline.

This might be a good time to ask if any drivers have added readouts to check the transmission temperature or extra transmission coolers? Unless there is a readout on the TFT display, it looks the the Highlander just has an 'idiot' light for the ATF temp.

I guess the simple approach is to not be in a big hurry when tackling the Coq and take your time and enjoy the view.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:59 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You have to remember Kirk, on the thread about pulling a 21' with a Highlander, there are not any 21's out there yet and these statements are what they intend to pull the new 21' with. Let's revisit in a year and see what the results are.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #18

I understand Jim, it hasn't happened yet, but one of the Highlander owners tows a 19 and must think it can handle at least a little bit more.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I feel the FJ and the Escape 19 were a good match, but I think the 19 is the max for the FJ. That extra 300-400 lbs plus the tongue weight in the new 21' is a lot more. I'll try it over a local trip with the FJ, but for interstates I'll probably end up using the Ram Hemi.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #20

We pull our 19' Escape with a 2012 Toyota Highlander and it pulls it very nicely, even up hills. We've been across the Canadian Rockies a couple of times now, and its a great setup - very stable pulling (we have a weight-distributing hitch), but on the other hand, pretty nimble and easy to drive (we can even make it through the Tim Horton's Drivethru without difficulties!).
stevy is offline   Reply With Quote