towing a 19 with the Tacoma 3.5L V6 Engine - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2022, 12:07 AM   #81

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCowboy View Post
We tow our Escape 19 with a 2019 GMC Canyon v6 with no problems
... and made in America.
Toyota trucks - the Tacoma and Tundra - are made in America, too. Due to a high import tariff, all trucks sold in the U.S. are made in North America.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 09:18 AM   #82

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
I am in the market for a new tow Rig. I currently have a 2011 Tacoma with the V6 4.0 engine. It seems to do well unless I am in the mountains out west. most of my towing is east of the rocky mountains. I looking for feedback towing with the newer 3.5 engine. I think they been using it since 2016 . let me know you experiences good or bad.

There is woman, I guess she's over on the fb escape page(since nothing here). Susan Gram? I think she started with a E19 & 2nd Gen Taco. Just went to E21 & 3rd Gen Taco, a few months now. Not sure if anything over lapped. Not quit the same, as your ? I know she is not thrilled with the 3rd Gen Taco. She is out west, dealing with the "real" mountains.

I have the 2014 PreRunner, & stayed with an E19, because I want Taco's reliability. I am putting extra leaf springs on it. I've no problems with Eastern "Mts" been over them 3 times now. BUT...... I'm not in a hurry, stay at 60, taking secondary roads more now, as I hate the semi's & everyone pushing me. Plus finding neater spots for dog walks & all. Small gas tank?, well at my age I have to get out & move & pee around 7/8 gals anyways!!!
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:05 PM   #83

Trailer: 2007 Aliner Expedition
Can you let me know how your Tacoma does with the Escape 19? We have a 2017 Tacoma and we've just ordered an Escape 17B which weighs 2,640 lbs, slightly more than your Scamp. While we continue in the line-up for a production date, we can change our mind and upgrade to a 19 or 21. The sole reason for us choosing the 17B is the weight. We want to keep our Tacoma as we've only got 42,000 kms on it (yes we live in Canada) and we need it for off-roading/back roading. The Tacoma beats all of the other pickups when it comes to off-road characteristics and our passion is exploring the canyons of Death Valley and Utah. As we drive a considerable distance to get into the playground, fuel economy is also a pretty big deal, particularly right at the moment. So...if you have any update as to the Tacoma and the Escape 21...please let me know.

Thanks!!
Dutchie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:12 PM   #84

Trailer: 2022 E19 Escape
We now have our Escape E19 that we picked up 6 hours from home 3 weeks ago. Towed it home and a 4 day camping trip the Tacoma did great. We got between 12 and 14 miles per gallon. No sway or weight hitch on the way home and it was fine. We do have a Andersen hitch that we will use. The truck never went over 4000rpm during the 6 1/2 hour drive. Oh we had a full fresh water tank all the way also from escape we never thought to look. The only thing we did years ago to the truck was add sumo springs to the rear. Our Tacoma is the sport. We can also see around it with out different mirrors.
Ken
KenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:44 PM   #85

Trailer: 2007 Aliner Expedition
Towing E19 with Tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenS View Post
I have a 2018 Tacoma with the 3.5. Before that I had a FJ with the 4.0. I pull a Scamp 16 delux which is 2550 dry. We pack heavy so about 3300. The Tacoma does much better towing with the extra gear. I get between 14 and 18 mpg the FJ never saw that. The FJ was so much cooler. I pick up our new 19 Escape next week in Indy so we will see.
Hello Ken, I received an alert that you responded to my question about towing an Escape 19 with a Tacoma, and while I could read your reply on my phone, I can't find it anywhere on this site. I want to say thank you for responding. Your answer is most helpful. One more thing though, were you able to tow in 5th gear or did you have to go down to 4th?

Thanks

- Dutchie
Dutchie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:19 PM   #86

Towing mostly in 5th but 4th on the inclines.
Old 05-28-2022, 07:59 PM   #87

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenS View Post
We now have our Escape E19 that we picked up 6 hours from home 3 weeks ago. Towed it home and a 4 day camping trip the Tacoma did great. We got between 12 and 14 miles per gallon. No sway or weight hitch on the way home and it was fine. We do have a Andersen hitch that we will use. The truck never went over 4000rpm during the 6 1/2 hour drive. Oh we had a full fresh water tank all the way also from escape we never thought to look. The only thing we did years ago to the truck was add sumo springs to the rear. Our Tacoma is the sport. We can also see around it with out different mirrors.
Ken

Ken whats the weight of your 19 on the build sheet ? Just trying to get a idea compared to mine. I have a f150 on order But the wait time might be to long . I really be happier with a Tacoma for all my daily driving. I know the f150 would do so much better towing,But the rest of my life the Taco would be a better option. Also is your v6 4x4 double cab? do you like the sumo springs? I have air bags on my 2013 . next time around I rather not deal with air if possible.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:04 PM   #88

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Ken whats the weight of your 19 on the build sheet ? Just trying to get a idea compared to mine. I have a f150 on order But the wait time might be to long . I really be happier with a Tacoma for all my daily driving. I know the f150 would do so much better towing,But the rest of my life the Taco would be a better option. Also is your v6 4x4 double cab? do you like the sumo springs? I have air bags on my 2013 . next time around I rather not deal with air if possible.
We too tow our 2016 Escape 19 with a 2017 Tacoma and although we love the Taco you really have to use the gears on steep grades. We also have the blue sumo springs and are glad to have them. I wish the Tacoma still had the 4.0 liter engine the 3.5 runs about 1,000 RPM higher. It’s a joy to drive through.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:16 PM   #89

Newyorkhillbilly. Our shipping weight is 3454lb. our truck is a double cab and I love our Sumo springs.
KenS
Old 05-28-2022, 11:54 PM   #90

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
We have a 2016 3rd gen Taco & tow our 19 with it. It is a 6 speed manual double cab TRD.
The truck pulls the trailer just fine on mid grade pulls & flat land driving. I have added 1 1/2” add a leaf
and blue SUMO springs in the rear as well as new Bilstien 5100 shocks. Gas mileage average range is 10-14 when towing. Some patience is required when pulling steep grades, we’ve pulled several passes in Utah,Montana, Idaho & Washington no issues. Our trailer scales out at about 3800 pounds in ready to camp load out, usually with 1/2 tank water. We use trunion mount Fastway E2 WDH and get no sway. I added the 1 1/2” add a leaf & heavier shocks after towing several thousand miles. The Tacoma leaf springs are notorious for sagging ours were no exception. I would rate the Tacoma as a okay tow vehicle, the payload of the truck is near capacity with 2 adults full fuel & light load of camping gear in bed. If you need to haul toys & more it will be easy to go over. We are good with the truck as we had it before the trailer & load it accordingly with it’s limitations in mind.
Carry extra 5 gallon fuel tank for long trips just in case as we get around 200ish miles per tank when towing. I change the differential gear oil every 30k and it always comes out filthy, maintain your rig on the severe service schedule & you should be good.
Gasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 12:29 AM   #91

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
I tow a e19 with a 2017 tacoma and no problem.
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:54 PM   #92

Trailer: 2022 21NE
2021 ridgeline & 21NE here. Near max GCVWR.

NA 3.5L V6, over 3700 miles towed, 13.8 MPG.

4th gear (0.83 iirc) 55-65 mph
5th gear (1.0 ratio) 65-72 mph ~3500-4000 RPM

Spend most of my time in 5th gear, as long as it isn't like a 6%+ grade you don't even need to downshift I just leave the cruise control on. On steeper grades I go 62 in 4th and it is clearly working, around 5000 rpm. At the highest peaks around 10k ASL at steep grade I dipped into 3rd gear pulling right at VTEC engagement around 5500 but I never had to slow down and was passing motorhomes and semis with ease.

All in all, impressed with the little Honda that could. (Note: only the 2021+ has a factory transmission cooler AFAIK.)
Crazypill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 11:28 PM   #93

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
I am in the market for a new tow Rig. I currently have a 2011 Tacoma with the V6 4.0 engine. It seems to do well unless I am in the mountains out west. most of my towing is east of the rocky mountains. I looking for feedback towing with the newer 3.5 engine. I think they been using it since 2016 . let me know you experiences good or bad.
I have GMC Canyon V6 crew cab. I get around 12-13’+mpg in the mountains and am getting 16+ mpg here in flatter New Mexico pulling our Escape 19 (2600 pounds) with full water tanks. On steep mountain climbs chugged along at around 4000 rpm. Now maybe 1800-2000 rpm on gently rolling roads. Just wondering what others get.

Fred
AZCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 05:43 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCowboy View Post
I have GMC Canyon V6 crew cab. I get around 12-13’+mpg in the mountains and am getting 16+ mpg here in flatter New Mexico pulling our Escape 19 (2600 pounds) with full water tanks. On steep mountain climbs chugged along at around 4000 rpm. Now maybe 1800-2000 rpm on gently rolling roads. Just wondering what others get.

Fred
That is good mileage. I assume the 2600lbs is a typo? what size v-6 is that? also what you payload sticker in do say? just want to get a idea on payload. The Tacoma is very low 990lbs
Old 05-30-2022, 01:35 PM   #95
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
That is good mileage. I assume the 2600lbs is a typo? what size v-6 is that? also what you payload sticker in do say? just want to get a idea on payload. The Tacoma is very low 990lbs
If you get the Taco access cab instead of the crew cab, you gain 200 lbs more payload. I don't know if they still sell the Prerunner, but those had about another 400 lbs of payload... The Prerunner was like a 4x4 in terms of suspension and wheel size, but had no 4x4. Also stick shift Tacos had a little more payload.

Re 2600 lbs for a 19, I seriously doubt that, unless it's a base model with zero options and all tanks are empty, and you have put nothing in it 19s have, I believe, 4500 GWR, and I would always plan around that.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 09:44 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
If you get the Taco access cab instead of the crew cab, you gain 200 lbs more payload. I don't know if they still sell the Prerunner, but those had about another 400 lbs of payload... The Prerunner was like a 4x4 in terms of suspension and wheel size, but had no 4x4. Also stick shift Tacos had a little more payload.

Re 2600 lbs for a 19, I seriously doubt that, unless it's a base model with zero options and all tanks are empty, and you have put nothing in it 19s have, I believe, 4500 GWR, and I would always plan around that.

yes my current Tacoma (2013 4x4 access cab) has 1190 payload, But This time I Be interested in the double cab / witch puts me at 990 paylaod with a 4x4 . I could manage . I would have to be very careful on payload.I have noticed since switching from the 17 Casita to the 19 escape i have a lot less stuff in the truck more items stay in camper or front storage box. F150 supercab 4x4 would have 1669 payload. I having a hard time with this one . One side of the coin f150 better towing and payload may be more comfortable on long trips. Taco would be better for daily driving and more off road priced better and less depreciation. HMMMM
Old 06-01-2022, 10:57 PM   #97

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I think you hit the nail on the head
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 05:53 AM   #98

I ended up buying a Tacoma after all. Unhitch this truck just fits my daily driving needs much better than a full size. I can manage the payload problem.I guess we see how it does towing with my 19' . It seems to be mixed reviews on 19' towing .some happy and others not. I guess its roll of the dice to see where I will be.with 150's taking about a year to get. I cancelled my order.The good news if i decide to sell the Tacoma after a year I can probably get what i paid for it. All the used 2021's i found where priced higher than the new i bought. crazy times out there. I was lucky and was able to buy one on the boat. In fact the ship just ported in New jersey. Shipped by sea from Veracruz Mexico. I should be able to get it by the end of the month . Maybe i should just down size from me 19' to a 17'. Tacoma and 17 might be the perfect combo.
anyways here is what I have coming.

2022 white Tacoma
4X4 6 speed auto

SR5 double cab

V-6 all the v6's now come with tow package.
Old 06-03-2022, 06:57 AM   #99

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think you would be disappointed in the differences between a 17 and 19 footer. I remember towing single axle trailers and the white knuckle experience when passed by larger vehicles. This effect is minimized with the dual axle E19.
Old 06-03-2022, 09:23 AM   #100

Trailer: 2021 5.0
I have a Tacoma 4.0 and a Tundra, when going uphill you will wish you had a bigger boat…
Ooshkaboo is online now   Reply With Quote