towing a 19 with the Tacoma 3.5L V6 Engine - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2022, 10:19 AM   #101

Trailer: 2023 E19
Congratulations on your truck order....

I think there are enough people who tow a 19 with both second and third gen Tacoma's to prove that the combination is workable. Every tow vehicle represents some form of compromise. Worst case scenario is if you find the capabilities of the new Tacoma to fall outside of your comfort zone, you can always upgrade to a full size truck at a later date without much (if any) financial hit. The resale value of these trucks is amongst the highest of all vehicles.....even prior to today's crazy market.

In terms of downgrading to a 17....I guess it all depends on what you require for a trailer. In my case, I want a 19 specifically because of the tandem axles, decent headroom, 80" long bed, and the fact that it is the largest small trailer (or smallest large trailer) available that I would consider pulling with a Tacoma.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 10:30 AM   #102

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
When Reace was pondering the design of the 19, he considered single axle ( because that's all it needed for the weight ), but went with tandem axle because of market demand. Buyers think it's better to have tandem axles.
Old 06-03-2022, 10:48 AM   #103

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
When Reace was pondering the design of the 19, he considered single axle ( because that's all it needed for the weight ), but went with tandem axle because of market demand. Buyers think it's better to have tandem axles.
Tandem axle trailers definitely tow better than single axle units......
Old 06-03-2022, 11:43 AM   #104

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
I have a Tacoma 4.0 and a Tundra, when going uphill you will wish you had a bigger boat…
The 4.0 does not concern me as I have that in my 2013, My big concern is with 3.6 and newer six speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
Congratulations on your truck order....

I think there are enough people who tow a 19 with both second and third gen Tacoma's to prove that the combination is workable. Every tow vehicle represents some form of compromise. Worst case scenario is if you find the capabilities of the new Tacoma to fall outside of your comfort zone, you can always upgrade to a full size truck at a later date without much (if any) financial hit. The resale value of these trucks is amongst the highest of all vehicles.....even prior to today's crazy market.

In terms of downgrading to a 17....I guess it all depends on what you require for a trailer. In my case, I want a 19 specifically because of the tandem axles, decent headroom, 80" long bed, and the fact that it is the largest small trailer (or smallest large trailer) available that I would consider pulling with a Tacoma.
The reliability and resale was a big part of my decision. My 2013 I paid 22,000 for used with 2,000 miles on it. They give my 15,000 for it with 135,000 miles. all i did was oil changes,tires and brakes at 80,000. I looked at a few used ones 2020 and up and they where all prices higher than the 38,000 new.also dealer threw in a 100,000 mile power train warranty. honestly its hard to compare the taco to f150. The tundra would be more apples to apples.I probably only have the truck 3 yeas . I thinking of the 2024 with the 4 cyc turbo. depending on specs I might go for one of these in the spring of 2025. let them get the bugs out the first year. I know some think I crazy picking Tacoma over f150 .I try it this season and see how it works out. Like you say its not to hard to get rid of a Tacoma.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 12:23 PM   #105

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
The 4.0 does not concern me as I have that in my 2013, My big concern is with 3.6 and newer six speed.

The reliability and resale was a big part of my decision. My 2013 I paid 22,000 for used with 2,000 miles on it. They give my 15,000 for it with 135,000 miles. all i did was oil changes,tires and brakes at 80,000. I looked at a few used ones 2020 and up and they where all prices higher than the 38,000 new.also dealer threw in a 100,000 mile power train warranty. honestly its hard to compare the taco to f150. The tundra would be more apples to apples.I probably only have the truck 3 yeas . I thinking of the 2024 with the 4 cyc turbo. depending on specs I might go for one of these in the spring of 2025. let them get the bugs out the first year. I know some think I crazy picking Tacoma over f150 .I try it this season and see how it works out. Like you say its not to hard to get rid of a Tacoma.
I don't think you're crazy at all, I also seriously considered an F-150 but really, really didn't want to drive a full size pickup. I ultimately chose a Chevy Colorado with the diesel simply because I fell in love with it when I test drove it. At the time, it also cost quite a bit less than the 3.5 Ecoboost F-150 I was looking at. It has proved to be a fantastic tow vehicle for my 19, with plenty of power, payload, and of course great mpg.

But, as someone else mentioned, choosing a tow vehicle is always a series of tradeoffs. The Colorado is notorious for reliability issues, particular the emissions system for the diesel, although I've had no problems with mine YET. Currently, the biggest tradeoff is the cost of diesel! Yes the truck gets fantastic mpg both towing and not, but it still costs the same to fill it up. Which is a lot at $5.60+ a gallon!!

Even so, I have no desire to get rid of it. If I was, I'd be looking hard at the 2023 Colorado (gas engine only) and Ford Ranger. Both are coming in with great payload, torque, and tow weight capacity.

Best of luck with your new truck, hope it works for you!!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 12:33 PM   #106

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Tandem axle trailers definitely tow better than single axle units......
This hasn't been my experience at all. The word "definitely" is misplaced IMO. I've had no issues or bad experiences with the single axle trailers I've towed, and I have towed a bunch of them. (Well, I did have one bad sway experience with a 4x8 utility trailer when I was young and inexperienced; I'd loaded it with negative tongue weight!)
Old 06-03-2022, 12:37 PM   #107

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
This hasn't been my experience at all. The word "definitely" is misplaced IMO. I've had no issues or bad experiences with the single axle trailers I've towed, and I have towed a bunch of them. (Well, I did have one bad sway experience with a 4x8 utility trailer when I was young and inexperienced; I'd loaded it with negative tongue weight!)

Ditto. My single axle 17B is solid with an inexpensive Pro Series WDH without sway control and loaded properly.
Old 06-03-2022, 02:11 PM   #108

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I’ve had single axle trailers exclusively until my E19. I don’t think there’s much difference except they back a little differently.
Old 06-03-2022, 09:04 PM   #109

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:

As I said, I have both. I do tow various trailers with my Tacoma, even a 5th wheel scamp at one time, it wasn’t enjoyable.

I believe towing a camper with anything like a Tacoma, whichever one-that is my favorite vehicle-is a dangerous road hazard.
My Tundra is a completely different story when it comes to towing, you wanted to know.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 09:14 PM   #110

Trailer: 2022 21NE
Quote:
As I said, I have both. I do tow various trailers with my Tacoma, even a 5th wheel scamp at one time, it wasn’t enjoyable.

I believe towing a camper with anything like a Tacoma, whichever one-that is my favorite vehicle-is a dangerous road hazard.
My Tundra is a completely different story when it comes to towing, you wanted to know.
Respectfully I disagree. Towing the 21NE with the Ridgeline at max gcvwr, it is comfortable, stress free, and I still get 12-14 mpg. I would not even remotely describe it as a "dangerous road hazard".
Crazypill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 09:46 PM   #111

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Hey Hillbilly Dude- It's like Reace used to say: "depends on your expectations". That saying used to PO me, yet now it resonates kinda like the builder who says "all houses have problems" after he finishes the job and your unhappy.

My expectations are having a stress free 5K trip that we usually do twice yearly. Just like having air conditioning in a vehicle helps reduce stress as it keeps the cabin quieter with windows rolled up- the same can be said about engine noise.

Huge difference between 2K & 4+K RPM noise in cabin. That Tacoma will be way noisier than my 3.5 and Toyota reliability while significant 20 years ago isn't the same nowadays IMO.
Old 06-04-2022, 06:01 AM   #112

some of the post are getting me concerned. I think I better get me 19 hooked to a 3rd generation and see how it feels . we see how good my sales man is when I tell him I want to try towing my 19 .
Old 06-05-2022, 03:23 PM   #113

well my dealer set me up with a 2021 Tacoma 4x4 off road to test pull my 19 escape.My experience was that the transmission does not seem to be a good match for that 3.5 engine under towing loads. seems that some have said that. I guess I had to see it for my self. as others also said that the taco can do it just seems like it working way to hard for my liking. I guess I am back to f-150 or tundra
Old 06-05-2022, 05:57 PM   #114

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
The Ranger and Colorado / Canyon are smaller than a full size and are quite capable of towing an E19.
Old 06-05-2022, 07:00 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
The Ranger and Colorado / Canyon are smaller than a full size and are quite capable of towing an E19.

I did drive the Colorado and was impressed with the engine and transmission combo . The safety ratings however at least it the one I was looking at where not to good. The ranger was not for me. its nice there is some new choices. what surprised me is the F150 was only about 400lbs heaver than a Tacoma. I think i picked the worst time in history to be truck shopping .
Old 06-06-2022, 10:12 AM   #116

Tacoma owners (3.5 v6) is there a way to lock the auto transmission say into 3rd gear. in my test drive I towed in s mode witch I believe locks out 5 and 6 gears. I just got thinking if there is a way to lock it in 3rd on a climb? In my test drive my big concern was it would shift up to forth and only to downshift to 3rd right after.
Old 06-06-2022, 11:25 AM   #117
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Tacoma owners (3.5 v6) is there a way to lock the auto transmission say into 3rd gear. in my test drive I towed in s mode witch I believe locks out 5 and 6 gears. I just got thinking if there is a way to lock it in 3rd on a climb? In my test drive my big concern was it would shift up to forth and only to downshift to 3rd right after.
if it only does that occasionally, no big deal. OTOH, if you're climbing a long grade and it keeps shifting 3-4-3-4, then yeah, you want to be able to downshift it. my wife's newer car has a 7 speed auto (not toyota), and paddle shifters that put it in pseudo-manual mode (basically they will lock it in a gear but if you leave it in that gear for too long, it will revert to automatic, ditto if you over or under rev it, it will revert to automatic). It also has E and S (Economy and Sports modes), difference is, S tends to leave the RPMs higher, and upshift later, and downshift sooner.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 02:42 PM   #118

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Yes, just put in manual mode and it won’t shift up although it will shift down. I usually climb steep grades like 6% in 4 or even 3. Since it is a short stroke V-6 you need to keep it around 4 grand on really steep grades otherwise you wind up in third gear
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:00 PM   #119

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Test out the Tundra on a steep hill, hit the tow/haul button, then see what you think.
I’m in the Kentucky coal mine hills, Tundra hits that hill like it’s the boss…

As far as gas mileage, keeping track of that is now pointless.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 06:09 AM   #120

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Test out the Tundra on a steep hill, hit the tow/haul button, then see what you think.
I’m in the Kentucky coal mine hills, Tundra hits that hill like it’s the boss…

As far as gas mileage, keeping track of that is now pointless.
Yes, now you have to make sure you have enough money to pay off the credit card bill.......