Towing a '21' - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2020, 12:16 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape 21C Trailer
At what grade & altitude did the Highlander tow?
steve@umthermoform.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:11 PM   #42

Trailer: 2016 - 21'
Tow Vehicle

I recently sold my 2005 Chevy Suburban for a 2018 Chevy Colorado with the 4 cylinder turbo diesel option. The maximum tow capacity is 7700 pounds.
The Chevy Colorado truck tows better than my previous suburban and towing mileage increased to around 17 mpg verses 11.5 to 12 mpg with old vehicle. This includes traveling in Colorado over 11,000 foot passes. The truck has a diesel exhaust brake and built in brake controller that works much better than my previous controller. When not towing, the vehicle get about 24 mpg around town and around 30 mpg on the open highway. The smaller truck fits the SUV category very well.
Good luck.
bhonisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:06 PM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
You're not kidding! I was shocked when I first weighed our E21 with all our stuff in it at a moving scale last year. It was about 500 lbs over what I was expecting, very close to our limit. Yikes...
What was the weight?
Old 10-28-2020, 10:49 PM   #44

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhonisch View Post
I recently sold my 2005 Chevy Suburban for a 2018 Chevy Colorado with the 4 cylinder turbo diesel option. The maximum tow capacity is 7700 pounds.
The Chevy Colorado truck tows better than my previous suburban and towing mileage increased to around 17 mpg verses 11.5 to 12 mpg with old vehicle. This includes traveling in Colorado over 11,000 foot passes. The truck has a diesel exhaust brake and built in brake controller that works much better than my previous controller. When not towing, the vehicle get about 24 mpg around town and around 30 mpg on the open highway. The smaller truck fits the SUV category very well.
Good luck.
I thought GM had dropped the diesel in the Colorado/Canyon.
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:16 AM   #45

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofdestiny View Post
I thought GM had dropped the diesel in the Colorado/Canyon.
It's still listed for the 2021 model year on the Chevrolet web site.

GM apparently made a deal to sell the factory in Thailand that makes the Duramax 2.8 used in the Colorado/Canyon, leading automotive publications to panic and announce the end of the diesel Colorado/Canyon; however, someone at GM had thought of this (after all, it is their business) and days later this appeared:
Quote:
“We have appropriate measures in place to ensure continued supply of 2.8L diesel engines for global vehicles,” said GM International Director of Communications, George Svigos, in a written statement to GM Authority.
They'll presumably just buy them from the new owner of the factory, and eventually use one of the other suitable diesels in the world of GM and associated companies.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:56 AM   #46

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
No problem - just noting context in case the original poster is still following the discussion, or someone else reads the beginning of the thread and expects to apply information from the end of the thread. Most people don't understand either compression-release brakes or exhaust braking valves, so they might expect them to apply where they can't.
Good point!
Old 10-29-2020, 09:05 AM   #47

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Ford Expedition

Hi there,
We towed the 21’ with our Chevy Traverse first, and found the towing experience to be a bit shaky (capacity 5200#).
Much better control and handling with the Ford Expedition (9000#j.
There was a large difference in maneuverability, and it just felt more solid to us.
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:15 PM   #48

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It's still listed for the 2021 model year on the Chevrolet web site.

GM apparently made a deal to sell the factory in Thailand that makes the Duramax 2.8 used in the Colorado/Canyon, leading automotive publications to panic and announce the end of the diesel Colorado/Canyon; however, someone at GM had thought of this (after all, it is their business) and days later this appeared:

They'll presumably just buy them from the new owner of the factory, and eventually use one of the other suitable diesels in the world of GM and associated companies.
Thanks. That's nice to know. We enjoy a diesel in a less than full sized vehicle and there are fewer and fewer options every year. Nice to know that the Colorado will continue to have one.
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:25 PM   #49
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
What was the weight?
Hey Rossue, I think it was 4950# with the fresh tank 1/3 full, so it went on a big diet. Wasn't hard to do....had a lot of redundant things in it from our previous trailer....and things in the 'might use' but haven't in 10 years, got the boot!

And Artlady, glad you like your new Expedition. We love the control and handling, too! Great combo! However, I'd love to see Ford come out with an Expedition with a diesel engine someday. That would be tempting.... -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:00 PM   #50

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofdestiny View Post
Thanks. That's nice to know. We enjoy a diesel in a less than full sized vehicle and there are fewer and fewer options every year. Nice to know that the Colorado will continue to have one.

The Colorado/Canyon is expected to see redesign for the 2023 model year, and the word is that at that point it will drop to a single engine option.

But who knows, really.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:52 PM   #51

Trailer: 21' 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
Your way safer in a truck. The first near miss you have, you'll thank me for the advise.
We're looking at new vehicles and considering swapping our crewmax tundra for a Lexus GX460 for our TV for our escape 21'. They have almost the same curb weight, but significantly different wheelbase. The GX can tow 6500. Can you help me understand what you mean with regard to safety and near misses? This car swap would suit our family day to day in town but we want to be sure we are safe while towing also!!
SouthernCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 12:51 AM   #52

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
We're looking at new vehicles and considering swapping our crewmax tundra for a Lexus GX460 for our TV for our escape 21'. They have almost the same curb weight, but significantly different wheelbase. The GX can tow 6500. Can you help me understand what you mean with regard to safety and near misses? This car swap would suit our family day to day in town but we want to be sure we are safe while towing also!!
With a modest weight distribution hitch, I see no reason why not. The 21 tows well. I towed for 4 years with a 2004 f150 5.4 , much less hp and torque. It was a good fit however.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 09:54 AM   #53

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
The GX460 will be a very reliable tow vehicle. A lot of people add an additional transmission cooler (like a B&M Supercooler) but this vehicle is a great choice!
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote