Towing a 21 with the Tundra 4.6L V-8 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2016, 03:32 PM   #21

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
All 5.7 come with the tow package, factory brake controller, 38 Gallon fuel tank and at least 9500 tow capacity depending on the cab you get.

Great truck! I know some on here will say it has to be from the big 3.
Not us! I test drove all of 'em (some multiple times) and kept going back to the Tundra. Granted, I've only towed from ETI to home, but I was quite pleased with how the Tundra handled. We got the Crew Max, SR5, TRD. Also added a canopy and other goodies. We got the 5.7 and it'll be nice with the larger gas tank.

This is our 3rd Toyota - 2000 Tacoma, 2010 FJ and now the 2017 Tundra. Our next-door neighbors only have Toyotas as well.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 04:54 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
When did Toyota stop offering the tow package on the 4.6L Tundra? Our 2011 has everything listed above in Brian B-P's post except for the "integrated trailer brake controller," (but it was wired for it). Oh, and the only other difference was the rear axle for the 4.6L tow package was 4.1 instead of 4.3.
It was news to me, but I hadn't looked at this in detail before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I would want to know the reasoning behind offering the tow package with the 5.7 but not with the 4.7. Is it based on a marketing decision , engineering specs or assembly line issues ?
I'm sure it's not a technical issue at all. While a 4.6 L towing an Escape is a perfectly reasonable combination, there are probably relatively few buyers of a truck this large who want it for towing and would not choose the 5.7 L; it's an easy decision to simplify the product line by leaving out an unpopular and unprofitable variant (even if it is the perfect choice for a few people).

The difference in trailer weight rating between the engines seems reasonable based on just the towing package (particularly the transmission cooling), so there's nothing special mechanically about the 5.7 - it's just the engine with which you get a towing package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
Here is a pic of my window sticker showing what was included on the 2013 4.6 tow package...
So the change is recent, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was at the 2014 model year refresh.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 05:49 PM   #23

Trailer: 21' Escape (June 2014)
I'm sorry to hear that it's no longer available with the 4.6, we've been very happy with the combination with our 21' Escape. We have the basic truck with the tow package being the only option, (my wife told me she wouldn't be seen in a truck with "TRD" on the side). With our 4.6L and two-wheel drive we get right at 20mpg doing 70 and 13.5mpg towing the 21' at a steady 65mph.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:22 PM   #24

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
... (my wife told me she wouldn't be seen in a truck with "TRD" on the side).
Too funny! Does TRD stand for something nasty to her? I know what some of the guys called the RT back in the day (mid/late 70's).

I test drove multiple Tundra SR5s with both the TRD suspension and without. I definitely liked the feel and handling of the one with the TRD.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:17 PM   #25

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Too funny! Does TRD stand for something nasty to her? I know what some of the guys called the RT back in the day (mid/late 70's).

I test drove multiple Tundra SR5s with both the TRD suspension and without. I definitely liked the feel and handling of the one with the TRD.
Please lord don't hate me for this. TRD - Acronym for...... think poop.
I'm a Toyota man, really I am
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:28 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
It's just different wheels, painted shocks and a sticker on the bed so they can charge more money.

Toyota Racing Development
Old 01-01-2017, 09:53 AM   #27

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It was news to me, but I hadn't looked at this in detail before.

I'm sure it's not a technical issue at all. While a 4.6 L towing an Escape is a perfectly reasonable combination, there are probably relatively few buyers of a truck this large who want it for towing and would not choose the 5.7 L; it's an easy decision to simplify the product line by leaving out an unpopular and unprofitable variant (even if it is the perfect choice for a few people).

The difference in trailer weight rating between the engines seems reasonable based on just the towing package (particularly the transmission cooling), so there's nothing special mechanically about the 5.7 - it's just the engine with which you get a towing package.

So the change is recent, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was at the 2014 model year refresh.
Thanks Brian BP .
Ram dropped their small V8 a few years back after introducing their new V6 The small V8 had no power or mileage advantages over the V6 The 5.7 Hemi V8 was cheaper to produce than the small V8 and had equal or better fuel mileage.
The sales of the small V8 had dropped to a point where it was smarter for Ram to drop it .
Some people buy a truck just to drive a truck and the V6 works for them , others buy a truck to haul & tow and migrate toward the V8.
My old truck had little trade in value due to two reasons 1) It was 2 wheel drive 2) It had a V6 engine .
In the Northern Midwest , it would be hard to give that truck away.

Many of our acquaintances own large / expensive 5th wheels , Class A motorhomes or tow vehiclrs that sit home idle for years at a time because according to them, fuel costs are too high . ( They averge 6 MPG ) .
Many of the members here seem to have the same phobia / obsession over fuel mileage .
The cost to operate an Escape trailer towed by an adequate vehicle can be calculated up front .
Is 1 or 2 additional MPG's going to be the difference between seeing the country or parking your trailer and staring at your back yard ?. Is 1 or 2 MPG's going to be the deciding factor between buying an adequate or possibly inadequate tow vehicle ?
We have traveled well over 30,000 miles with our FG trailer .
We have made trips of 4000 to 7500 miles . I couldn't tell you with any great accuracy what my fuel mileage averages except for what the vehicles on board computer tells me.
I don't understand why someone would spend $40K /$45 K on a new Escape trailer and then obsess over $100 worth of fuel or 1 MPG on a trip of 5K to 7K miles. It seems out of proportion to reality.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:22 AM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
TRD Off Road package aside from the cosmetic includes Bilstein shocks and struts, progressive rate front springs, alloy wheels, Michelin AT2 tires, metal front skid plate and a plastic skid plate for the gas tank. I also believe that the front sway bar may be different.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:42 AM   #29

Trailer: 21' Escape (June 2014)
With the tow package, our 2011 4.6L Tundra has a tow rating of 8200 lbs. And yes, that was with the SAE J2807 standard.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:32 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My old truck had little trade in value due to two reasons 1) It was 2 wheel drive 2) It had a V6 engine. In the Northern Midwest , it would be hard to give that truck away.

Many of our acquaintances own large / expensive 5th wheels , Class A motorhomes or tow vehiclrs that sit home idle for years at a time because according to them, fuel costs are too high . ( They averge 6 MPG ) .
Many of the members here seem to have the same phobia / obsession over fuel mileage .
(snip)
I don't understand why someone would spend $40K /$45 K on a new Escape trailer and then obsess over $100 worth of fuel or 1 MPG on a trip of 5K to 7K miles. It seems out of proportion to reality.
My dad discovered the same thing when he got rid of his 2x pickup some years back. It was a diesel and he said nobody was interested. He used it as part of a trade in for an old Jaguar. Yeah, good practical car for Brainerd MN - he snowbirds it now with the current girlfriend.

I have a friend with a motorhome that's always bitching about how much gas it takes to go anywhere with it. She just goes to her sister's place at Priest Lake ID, a few hours away from her. She'll never be my camping buddy, as I plan to travel far and wide with my truck and trailer.

And the mileage be damned! I never keep track of that stuff as I just don't care. I fill the tank when I need to and continue on my way. I'm there to enjoy the trip and travel and all that. Least with the 38 gallon tank I won't have to pull over quite as much as with a smaller tank.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #31

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I find as I age, the smaller 25 gallon tank or 300 mile range is just about when I need to stop and get out and stretch, use the facilities, walk the dogs, get some coffee, fill up the tank and get back on the road. That 38 gallon tank is for the younger generation.....
Old 01-01-2017, 12:59 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
TRD Off Road package aside from the cosmetic includes Bilstein shocks and struts, progressive rate front springs, alloy wheels, Michelin AT2 tires, metal front skid plate and a plastic skid plate for the gas tank. I also believe that the front sway bar may be different.
Maybe they use to but not any longer. I have a friend that is our local Toyota service manager and we had this discussion last December when we upgraded our 07 Tundra. Skid plates and hooks come on all 4X4. They are on ours. On the Limited models and above, rims are actually a downgrade from the standard 20" rims.

TRD OFF-ROAD PACKAGE — Upgrades standard wheels to 18-in. split 5-spoke TRD Off-Road Package alloy wheels with black accents and all-terrain P275/65R18 tires. Includes trail-tuned Bilstein® shock absorbers, engine skid plate, fuel tank skid plate, front tow hooks (on 4x2 models; standard on all 4x4 models), and bed-side TRD Off-Road decal.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:13 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I find as I age, the smaller 25 gallon tank or 300 mile range is just about when I need to stop and get out and stretch, use the facilities, walk the dogs, get some coffee, fill up the tank and get back on the road. That 38 gallon tank is for the younger generation.....
With over a 400 mile range when towing it also let's you stop at rest areas or attractions for breaks instead of always looking for fuel at stops like we did I our old truck.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:31 PM   #34

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
A 300 mile fuel range works well if the distance between gas stations is less than 300 miles . We have on several occasions while towing in Canada discovered that the distance between gas stations exceeded our vehicles fuel tank capacity. Luckily we had spare gas in our boat tanks .
If you travel the interstates or in highly populated areas , fuel is usually not an issue . The same can not be said for a large part of the US and Canada
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 01:49 PM   #35

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
And the mileage be damned! I never keep track of that stuff as I just don't care.
Well ... Kim and I are both retired without a steady paycheck. We find it necessary to maximize all living expenses at home and while travelling. Nothing we need and like in our lives is denied and are always very comfortable.

It would be nice to not pay attention to what things costs, hence a compromise on an Escape versus an Oliver/Big Foot, etc requiring a beefier tug like a 2500 series with oversized V8 and 4 wheel drive. That set-up would be our number one choice if we were willing to sacrifice all the other things we cherish and countries we want to travel to.

We travel all over the world, on land and cruising, and now adding extensive road travel all over north america, except for mexico of course, and have always managed to do all this simply by being cost efficient.

It's another point of view.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:29 PM   #36
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Well ... Kim and I are both retired without a steady paycheck. We find it necessary to maximize all living expenses at home and while travelling. Nothing we need and like in our lives is denied and are always very comfortable.

It would be nice to not pay attention to what things costs, hence a compromise on an Escape versus an Oliver/Big Foot, etc requiring a beefier tug like a 2500 series with oversized V8 and 4 wheel drive. That set-up would be our number one choice if we were willing to sacrifice all the other things we cherish and countries we want to travel to.

We travel all over the world, on land and cruising, and now adding extensive road travel all over north america, except for mexico of course, and have always managed to do all this simply by being cost efficient.

It's another point of view.
Does not sound like a point of view to me. More like a lifestyle choice.
We could have bought an oliver or bigfoot but chose an Escape 5.0TA fifth wheel due to its ,overall footprint, weight, and customizing not to mention there so dam sexyy!! and the best looking half ton tow-able fifth wheel in the world!
Thats just my point of view.
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 05:39 PM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
It kinda comes down to those who are still using their tow for a daily driver vs. those who primarily tow. For the latter, except for diesels there is not that much difference in mpg towing an Escape and the example by War Eagle about a 7,000 mile trip hit the nail on the head: a couple hundred bucks at most difference(in U.S.). Like my wife says- "can we not afford this?" We can fortunately, and moreover doing so safely is most important.
Rossue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:07 PM   #38

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I agree that safety is important. On the other hand, the choice of engine or final drive ratio in a given truck is not important to safety.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:30 PM   #39

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I agree that safety is important. On the other hand, the choice of engine or final drive ratio in a given truck is not important to safety.
Totally agree Brian. All full size pick up trucks today offer excellent safety, starting with impact related "encounters". Under these circumstances my 1500 V6 is no less safe than a one with a big V8. It more than exceeds capability to tow a lightweight fiberglass trailer. A 12,000 pound Toy Hauler - No !

Aside from external looks of the Escapes, we were attracted to it's smaller size and lighter weight. Small SUVs can tow them as well as cars and minivans with the 17ft Escapes.

You can tow with a large V8 and accelerate with the best of them while towing but it's not going to be safer than a V6 as the chassis and safety equipment is the same.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:36 PM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
It feels good to have enough power to easily merge with traffic from the on-ramp. We have a rest stop near Vancouver with a short ramp that ends in concrete dividers with a large ditch beyond them. Oh, and lots of semis filling the two traffic lanes.