Towing a 21C with a BMWx5 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2020, 02:42 PM   #41

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rja52 View Post
I have tried to research this issue with the manufacturer but no luck. Two dealers near me have never heard of WDH. The BMW "Genius" rep I spoke with will only say that "BMW doesn't recommend any particular brand of WDH." When I asked if he could provide me with any documentation (engineering or otherwise) from BMW that says not to use WDH with their X5s, he said he is "not aware of any."

BMW F15 forums are no better. Some people say "don't use them." Others say they have been using them for years without any problems. Some say "you can't use them with a unibody vehicle." Other say "you just can't use them with the BMW OEM hitch" which I"m told is stated in the OEM hitch's manual (I haven't seen this.)
That's precisely the issue I ran into. My X5 is a great tow vehicle based on the (admittedly limited) experience I've had with it thus far. If I were picking a tow vehicle now, I'd never consider the X5 because of the lack of credible (and often conflicting) information available on setting it up and because I have some concerns about getting an X5 diesel repaired in the event of a breakdown in some remote area.

I got the same line from BMW and researching the forums the OEM hitch does not allow for weight distribution, which is made explicit in the documentation that comes with the hitch. I have a copy of it somewhere and will post if I can find it.

Nothing in the documentation for the vehicle, nor any conversations I had with BMW, indicated that there was a problem using weight distribution with a different hitch, provided I stayed within the 600/6000 tow limits.
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:46 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
John,
To me your trailer front appears low. I always thought 19" was the ideal height
According to the specs section for the 21C (https://escapetrailer.com/the-21-escape/), you're correct. Ball height when loaded is 19"
Old 09-07-2020, 02:53 PM   #43

Quote:
I have tried to research this issue with the manufacturer but no luck. Two dealers near me have never heard of WDH. The BMW "Genius" rep I spoke with will only say that "BMW doesn't recommend any particular brand of WDH." When I asked if he could provide me with any documentation (engineering or otherwise) from BMW that says not to use WDH with their X5s, he said he is "not aware of any."

BMW F15 forums are no better. Some people say "don't use them." Others say they have been using them for years without any problems. Some say "you can't use them with a unibody vehicle." Other say "you just can't use them with the BMW OEM hitch" which I"m told is stated in the OEM hitch's manual (I haven't seen this.)
Found the OEM hitch installation instructions that contain the instruction (see page 22)not to use weight distribution: https://rparts-sites.s3.amazonaws.co...structions.pdf. When I asked BMW, they said that if it was a problem with the vehicle rather than the accessory, that it would be in the car manual, which makes some sense. Still, the lack of clarity is concerning.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:41 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effie View Post
My e19 lights are working fine without this gizmo as did the lights on my now sold 2014 e15. On the other hand the backup camera (installed by Escape) does not work, this can be fixed installing a DC filter in the camera 12v supply, there is a thread here somewhere, that I just can't find.
I am using the BMW original towing wiring harness, once installed and programed it adds a function to the rear view camera that's makes hitching the trailer easy, it also disables the rear proximity sensors when a trailer is connected. And FWI, I'm getting about 15a of charge from the car.
I discovered that the adapter intended for German vehicles was messing with my braking (probably not an issue for others as I am using a Prodigy RF, which sat after the adapter in the chain). Brakes would apply, then quickly drop off. Removing the adapter fixed the problem immediately. I really don't care about the lamp out warning light and the adapter got tossed into a drawer at home.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:36 PM   #45

Trailer: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofdestiny View Post
Found the OEM hitch installation instructions that contain the instruction (see page 22)not to use weight distribution: https://rparts-sites.s3.amazonaws.co...structions.pdf. When I asked BMW, they said that if it was a problem with the vehicle rather than the accessory, that it would be in the car manual, which makes some sense. Still, the lack of clarity is concerning.
Also this installation removes and discards existing steel bumper whereas DrawTite hitch is placed between frame and existing bumper which seems like it would be stronger. The DrawTite hitch I ordered is sitting in my garage while I decide if I want to trade in my X5 for a F-150!
rja52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:39 PM   #46

Trailer: Escape 2015 21'
Why tow with your bimmer. Have your Butler tow to your location hook up all services air-conditioning heating etc. and you arrive so you don’t have to worry about towing.
Paceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:28 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paceman View Post
Why tow with your bimmer. Have your Butler tow to your location hook up all services air-conditioning heating etc. and you arrive so you don’t have to worry about towing.
Well, if I was driving one of BMW's other products, a Rolls Royce for example, I might be able to do that.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:31 PM   #48

Quote:
Also this installation removes and discards existing steel bumper whereas DrawTite hitch is placed between frame and existing bumper which seems like it would be stronger. The DrawTite hitch I ordered is sitting in my garage while I decide if I want to trade in my X5 for a F-150!
As I've expressed before, I've got very mixed feelings about the X5, both in general, and as a tow vehicle.

We've had general issues with the emissions equipment on the diesel for years. As a tow vehicle, it is unusual enough that you end up spending a lot of time fiddling with things that should be easy, and probably are on most vehicles.

For instance, the issue with the brakes and the prodigy RF is back--it turned out to have nothing to do with the German vehicles lamp out adapter.

Apparently it is related to the solar installation--if the battery is partially discharged, it is pulling from the tow vehicle, and all is well. If it is fully charged via the solar, then intermittent braking issues. The day I had it working reasonably, the battery happened to be less than fully charged and I was playing with running the refrigerator on battery. I'm seeing some references to this issue with the prodigy RF on the BMW and Airstream forums.

I'm probably going to wire in a Prodigy P2 or try to track down the rebadged BMW version which is not longer made but included a wiring harness, but it seems like everything related to this vehicle is a bit of struggle.

That said, I've had it over multiple mountain passes, one where we picked up about 2500 feet of elevation in a little over 20 miles and the vehicle handled the trailer at the speed limit without any excessive downshifting or struggles.

Since we own it, I'm going to take the time to sort out the issues and get it dialed in, but I wouldn't select the X5 as a tow vehicle if I were looking one now. I think they've dropped the diesel, so I wouldn't have that option anyway...
Old 09-14-2020, 06:30 PM   #49

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
An honest evaluation. There are lots of stories about Mercedes Sprinter emissions problems too. Also, if you're out there in the hinterland who is going to help fix it should a problem arise? A friend recently sold his Sprinter due to emissions. He told me the Mercedes dealer in San Luis Obispo only has one diesel mechanic and it can be up to a month to get an appointment.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:58 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
An honest evaluation. There are lots of stories about Mercedes Sprinter emissions problems too. Also, if you're out there in the hinterland who is going to help fix it should a problem arise? A friend recently sold his Sprinter due to emissions. He told me the Mercedes dealer in San Luis Obispo only has one diesel mechanic and it can be up to a month to get an appointment.
You'd think that Mercedes would be inclined to get the Sprinter sorted out given the fact that it's a commercial vehicle at heart. It think the underlying issue is that the emissions rules have become so stringent that companies either need to cheat (VW, Ram) or apply expensive and unreliable exhaust treatments to clean the engine up.

The worry about being stranded in search of a mechanic has definitely crossed my mind. It's had near-constant issues but never left us stranded. It is amazing how the little issues become much more tolerable when the car is paid off.

We were all over the state in it even before buying the Escape, but the presence of a trailer with dog, kid and gear clearly complicates things--one of the first things I did was to upgrade towing coverage to include the trailer, but I think one remote breakdown on a camping trip will probably induce a rethink of our tow vehicle selection.

Not sure that the next vehicle will be a diesel of any type, especially since I was lucky enough to get lightweight escape.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:27 PM   #51
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
You'd think that Mercedes would be inclined to get the Sprinter sorted out given the fact that it's a commercial vehicle at heart.
I think thats the issue, Mercedes USA is not setup for commercial vehicles at all, their bread and butter is high trim luxury cars. I note the same cars are sold in Europe in much more basic configurations, hand crank windows, vinyl or cloth seats, no climate control, etcetcetc, often with 4-cylinder motors and stick shifts, the E series are basically taxicabs over there.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:30 PM   #52

Trailer: Escape 19 2020
We are newbies. We are expecting delivery of a new E19 in April 2021. We will towing with a 2018 x5 35i with the OEM F15 hitch 2inch coupler. I’ve read quite a few comments on the Escape and Bimmer forums about the X5 D but few on the 35i. At this point, my only concern is sway control. I understand how loading the vehicles and travelling velocity are factors as well as road conditions. Replacing the vehicle is not an option at this time but replacing the hitch to another brand to accommodate sway control could be. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Don
FauMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 12:55 AM   #53
Site Team

I know this thread has been beat to death, and I'm not going to re-read all 3 pages worth, but let me say this about that....

a BMW X5 (and other similar high end luxury/performance vehicles) are expensive. they are capable of towing a fair bit, but towing is hard work, and will put a lot of wear and tear on the vehicle. if you are just towing a few 100 miles a few times a year, thats no big deal, but if, like my wife and I, you go on 3000 mile road trips multiple times a year, you're going to beat up that nice BMW and incur a lot of expensive repairs sooner rather than later. Even if nothing actually breaks, you'll be beating up a lot of expensive suspension bushings, and drive train parts making the vehicle ride and handle a lot sloppier, and it costs $1000s to bring that stuff back up to like-new. worse case, you damage transmissions, differentials, CV joints, etc, even more $1000s. a vehicle like a truck, with crude leaf spring live axle rear suspension can tow 5000 lb trailers all day long every day and shrug it off, there just aren't that many expensive parts in the rear suspension

one side of the rear suspension on a X5 (not sure the year)...

the entire rear end of a F150 pickup including differential, axle, springs, shocks, brakes (none of which are shown in the above X5 pic)...
Attached Thumbnails
unnamed (5).jpg  
Old 09-25-2020, 08:12 AM   #54

Thanks John. I appreciate the points you make.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:24 PM   #55

As I said up thread, I don't think we'd choose the X5 as a tow vehicle if we were looking for something new. We're at 150,000 miles on ours and intend to drive it into the ground. Agree that will likely happen sooner because we tow with it and I'm fine with that.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:29 PM   #56
Site Team

Quote:
As I said up thread, I don't think we'd choose the X5 as a tow vehicle if we were looking for something new. We're at 150,000 miles on ours and intend to drive it into the ground. Agree that will likely happen sooner because we tow with it and I'm fine with that.
heh, I've had a lot of high mile European cars... my wife is currently driving a 1994 Mercedes wagon, that has 275000 on it, and still rides and drives like a new car, not a single rattle or clunk anywhere in it.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:31 PM   #57

We're hoping to get at least 200k. The diesel is still going strong.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:48 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauMich View Post
We are newbies. We are expecting delivery of a new E19 in April 2021. We will towing with a 2018 x5 35i with the OEM F15 hitch 2inch coupler. I’ve read quite a few comments on the Escape and Bimmer forums about the X5 D but few on the 35i. At this point, my only concern is sway control. I understand how loading the vehicles and travelling velocity are factors as well as road conditions. Replacing the vehicle is not an option at this time but replacing the hitch to another brand to accommodate sway control could be. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Don
Hi Don - as you've read in this thread and likely others on BMW and/or Airstream forums, several people use the X5 as tow vehicles and it's very difficult, if not impossible, to weed through all the misinformation. I am considering buying an Escape and like the 21NE. My 2017 F15 X5 does not have a hitch installed. I have purchased the Draw Tite 75600 and Tekonsha 119190KIT wiring harness but have not installed either.

I am thinking of the Curt Echo Brake controller (it's wireless and doesn't require any wiring into the vehicle.) I also like the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite but it has to be wired into the X5. I've also looked into selling the X5 and getting a 2021 F-150 with the 3.5L twin turbocharged hybrid engine. This truck has all the towing accessories built into it so it's good to tow any of the Escape trailers. High trim levels are very pricey though so for now I will stick with my X5. It's a great vehicle but probably not the best for towing larger trailers.

One more thing - my X5 (I bought it pre-owned about a year ago) has the S8SLA Trailer Coupling Preparation option. Unfortunately, BMW has not been able to tell me specifically what that means. The BMW Genius desk told me that if I have a hitch installed by the dealer it will be easier to do if I have that option - but they didn't know why. Same situation goes with using weight distribution which has also been discussed in this thread. BMW cannot produce a document saying not to use WDH (other than in the BMW E70 hitch installation document cityofdestiny posted) but they (the Genius desk and dealers) say they don't recommend it. So much for the X5 being a Sports Activity Vehicle.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:07 PM   #59

Thanks A lot for your reply.
D.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:23 PM   #60

Quote:
Hi Don - as you've read in this thread and likely others on BMW and/or Airstream forums, several people use the X5 as tow vehicles and it's very difficult, if not impossible, to weed through all the misinformation. I am considering buying an Escape and like the 21NE. My 2017 F15 X5 does not have a hitch installed. I have purchased the Draw Tite 75600 and Tekonsha 119190KIT wiring harness but have not installed either.

I am thinking of the Curt Echo Brake controller (it's wireless and doesn't require any wiring into the vehicle.) I also like the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite but it has to be wired into the X5. I've also looked into selling the X5 and getting a 2021 F-150 with the 3.5L twin turbocharged hybrid engine. This truck has all the towing accessories built into it so it's good to tow any of the Escape trailers. High trim levels are very pricey though so for now I will stick with my X5. It's a great vehicle but probably not the best for towing larger trailers.

One more thing - my X5 (I bought it pre-owned about a year ago) has the S8SLA Trailer Coupling Preparation option. Unfortunately, BMW has not been able to tell me specifically what that means. The BMW Genius desk told me that if I have a hitch installed by the dealer it will be easier to do if I have that option - but they didn't know why. Same situation goes with using weight distribution which has also been discussed in this thread. BMW cannot produce a document saying not to use WDH (other than in the BMW E70 hitch installation document cityofdestiny posted) but they (the Genius desk and dealers) say they don't recommend it. So much for the X5 being a Sports Activity Vehicle.

Good luck with your decision.
That provides a connector to the vehicle's central bus. It's behind the passenger-side trim panel in the cargo area. It allows installation of the tow harness without cutting and splicing. The tow harness is still required, as is programming of the vehicle.

Since I was going to have BMW do the programming, I went ahead and had them install the harness even though I used an aftermarket hitch.