Towing a 5.0 TA with a Tundra Crewmax? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2021, 06:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 5.0TA
Towing a 5.0 TA with a Tundra Crewmax?

Is it practical to tow a 5.0 TA trailer behind a '20 Tundra Crewmax 5.5ft bed?

How much does the Anderson ultimate 5th wheel hitch limit the turning angle? Is it difficult to back into campsites?

I've looked at Pullrite Superglide 3100, but it's 300 lbs, possibly more depending on rails.

Any advice is appreciated!
richm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by richm View Post
Yes, in general, the 5.5 foot bed length of full-size pickup trucks provides adequate length from the cab to the rear axle for a reasonable hitch setup for a 5.0TA.

Quote:
How much does the Anderson ultimate 5th wheel hitch limit the turning angle? Is it difficult to back into campsites?
Appropriately set up, enough turning angle is available (without the front of the trailer hitting the cab) to be reasonable, including for backing into campsites... with any type of hitch. The hitch (fifth-wheel or Andersen Ultimate) doesn't limit turning angle itself, but its position determines the angle you can turn before hitting. As with a conventional ("bumper hitched") trailer, it is possible to jackknife excessively and hit in reverse if you don't watch what you're doing carefully.

Quote:
I've looked at Pullrite Superglide 3100, but it's 300 lbs, possibly more depending on rails.
Lots of people consider using a sliding hitch (include automatic sliders such as the SuperGlide), but very few end up using them with an Escape. They are heavy and expensive, take up more space in the bed, and are not required for practical towing.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 09:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The hitch (fifth-wheel or Andersen Ultimate) doesn't limit turning angle itself, but its position determines the angle you can turn before hitting.
Yes, the limit on the turning angle is what I'm asking about.

From what I understand, the maximum distance from the cab is achieved with the mount and ball-funnel oriented as shown below.

The question is, for those who have tried this on a 5.5ft bed, how much does it limit the turning angle?

Old 05-13-2021, 05:54 AM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
The answer is "just a little". I can get close to a 90° angle, but not quite. And here is another answer. You don't need to turn a 90° angle. The trailer gets very funky with that sharp of an angle. While it is nice to be able to do so (I can't), I find that I never need to do that. The only time I need that is when pulling into my driveway, because everyone owns 3 cars around here and the place is always full of them. It's nuts!

Backing up takes more time and distance then a bumper hitch, because the fulcrum is at the axle, not at the very end of the truck. So it takes a second more to initiate a turn. No biggie. Slightly frustrating.

As a landscape architect, I can tell you not all campsites are going to work for you. Some are so poorly maintained that I would not camp there. Example: Saddlehorn campground in the Colorado National Monument. No planning or land sculpting what-so-ever. Some sites will not work, but they will take your money. Disgusting! And then everyone unloads on the campground host, who is powerless to do anything.

But with a little experience you will be able to pull that trailer to most anywhere. And you already know how nice a Tundra rides, and how long they last. I love the combo. I really do!

One piece of advice. Pack lightly at first. Just to see how it handles. And load up the fresh water tank before traveling. I have never had to load the truck up too much, and it always drives perfectly. The connection is very secure and stable!!!

And wind? Forgetaboutit!

I love mine!

p.s. By the time you read this, I will be deep in the Wind River Range with Zen, my 5.0! And totally out of cell tower range.
Attached Thumbnails
Moodra and Zen-original.jpg   Bouder mountain utah.jpg   anderson offset.jpg   Zen at white river.jpg  
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:16 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Quote:
Yes, the limit on the turning angle is what I'm asking about.

From what I understand, the maximum distance from the cab is achieved with the mount and ball-funnel oriented as shown below.

The question is, for those who have tried this on a 5.5ft bed, how much does it limit the turning angle?

You can set it up that way with the Anderson adaptor in front of the king pin but then you can have issues with the back of the pin box hitting the sides of the pickup bed when you are turned at a sharp angle.

It is really designed to be installed behind the king pin. Like Uncle Tim has his set up.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 04:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
The answer is "just a little". I can get close to a 90° angle, but not quite. And here is another answer. You don't need to turn a 90° angle. The trailer gets very funky with that sharp of an angle. While it is nice to be able to do so (I can't), I find that I never need to do that. The only time I need that is when pulling into my driveway, because everyone owns 3 cars around here and the place is always full of them. It's nuts! ....
UncleTim, thanks so much! The details about turning ability are very much appreciated!

This was the only thing blocking my choice of a 5.0, as opposed to a 21NE.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post
It is really designed to be installed behind the king pin. Like Uncle Tim has his set up.
Wow, I didn't notice the ball-funnel orientation in the photo above before you mentioned it. Thanks for pointing this out DanandDaphne!
Old 05-13-2021, 05:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
No problem. 9K miles and no issues yet.
Attached Thumbnails
8CDC05A9-116F-4799-B112-12EF788E05C6.jpg  
2019 Tundra Crew Max TV
ritacasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:45 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:

Any advice is appreciated!
I see in your info you have a 21NE on order. If your asking about the 5.0TA, call and change your order. We bought the 19 but wanted the 5.0TA. Unable to find a used fifth wheel, we ordered the 19, the 5.0TA was too much of a stretch dollar wise and I wasn't sure if I was going to keep the truck I had at the time.
In hind site, I wish we have had waited and got the 5.0TA.

I like the 5.0TA over the 19 because I find it too long to park and the crawl in bed would have worked out better. Our trailer was an upgrade from a 2007 Escape 17B and the bed seemed easier to get in and out of. Maybe I just need some YOGA.
Old 05-14-2021, 01:28 AM   #10

Hey Doug2000, thanks so much for the advice. I have indeed asked to change my order, well before the start of configuration. For my case, I would have selected about $1000 more in options on the 21NE than 5.0TA, making the total cost almost the same. The hitch costs still differ by about $1000 though.

Those are great points about parking and the bed. In addition, the towing stability looks better, which is what kept me coming back to consider the 5.0.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:28 AM   #11

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA in about a year. Lol
We have a 2021 Toyota Tundra double cab it should be born this month on the 24th and delivered in June
1200bruce is offline   Reply With Quote