Towing an Escape 17' with Toyota 4Runner? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2020, 09:11 AM   #1
Bar

Trailer: n/a
Towing an Escape 17' with Toyota 4Runner?

I have a 5th gen Toyota 4Runner, 6 cylinder that can tow up to 5,000 pounds. I know there are other factors to consider when towing but am wondering if any of you currently tow your escape with this vehicle... and if so, what has been your experience with tow ability? I'm not convinced this would be a safe combination. Thanks!
Bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:40 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
We towed our 2014 21' Escape around 20,000 miles with our 4th gen 4Runner V6.

It was, let us say, adequate. I never felt unsafe, but enjoy the pickup much more. Probably around 50,000 miles so far with the truck. It is in the "can barely tell it's back there" category.

The new model 17 would be much easier to tow, but I would never counsel someone to tow with a certain vehicle, if you already think it might not be safe. Do what you feel is safe, not what others might tell you.

Blow outs happen, deer jump out, wheels fly off semi's, all those things actually happen.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:13 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar View Post
I have a 5th gen Toyota 4Runner, 6 cylinder that can tow up to 5,000 pounds. I know there are other factors to consider when towing but am wondering if any of you currently tow your escape with this vehicle... and if so, what has been your experience with tow ability? I'm not convinced this would be a safe combination. Thanks!
Just bought a 2020 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad in July and since then have towed both our 15B and our 19' with it. Prior to the 4Runner, my FJ Cruiser was used to successfully tow our Escapes since 2013. Based on what I have experienced so far towing in the prairies, Jasper, and Banff, the 4Runner seems just as capable for towing the Escape as was the FJ. You should have no issues at all towing a 17 with your 4Runner.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:00 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 Escape 17B
We tow our 17B with a 2018 T4R (4WD) with Prodigy P3 brake controller and Andersen WDH/sway. Checked the scales a few weeks ago on our way to Sequoia from coastal California with a FULLY loaded trailer including all water/propane (empty grey/black tanks); and the T4R with full fuel/fluids, two adults, two medium dogs, and some miscellaneous stuff...total weight 8,760#, which is 78% of the vehicle's GCWR.

Our T4R impressions after traveling from sea level to our camp site at 7,800 feet fully loaded...no problems!! Pulled true then entire way across the central valley with no sway when passed in the opposite direction by semi trucks along the two-lane SR41 towards Fresno. Pulled the steep hills east of Fresno into the Sierras better than I expected and comfortably, only initial lags when taking off from a complete stop at a pullout back onto the steep incline of SR 180. So what about fuel economy…we average 19mpg normal driving and 14mpg towing at 60-65mph (55mph is the legal towing limit here in CA but we don’t want to piss off other drivers, otherwise I like driving at 55mph).

Would we like more power? Who would not! But we do not find the T4R lacking the necessary power/stability/safety towing our fully loaded 17B to consider purchasing a full size pickup or SUV. Especially given the mid-sized T4R works perfectly for us when unhitched and exploring the forest roads of California, where larger vehicles would just get scraped up and are more difficult to maneuver the back roads.

Bottom line, we feel safe towing our 17B with our T4R because both vehicles are within 80% to 90% of the manufacturer’s limits for axle, tongue, and gross weights.

Happy trails.
gdmrce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I wrote this review a while ago, I look back, it may have been a bit harsh. I don't like pushing my tow vehicles too hard, it affects long term reliability.

Your tow vehicle choice depends on your destination. Around Ontario, the 4Runner was awesome, up in the mountains of Colorado, I would look for something with a Turbo, the air gets too thin. For every 1000' of elevation, you lose 3% horsepower. I am still a decade from retirement but if I was closer I would flip a coin on one of the 3.0L diesels from the big 3. I don't think one is better than the other. I wish Toyota would bring out a diesel Tundra. I am a Toyota guy.

If I planned to stay around the Great Lakes with an elevation of 800', I would be OK towing our 19 with a 4Runner. I never ever felt unsafe with the 4Runner at all. Under powered at upper elevations, yes, unsafe no. At times I forgot the trailer was back there.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...nce-13422.html
Old 09-14-2020, 07:15 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 19'
I tow a 2017 17b with a 2012 4runner srv about 29000 miles now. It works for me. I use “s” on up & down grades. It may be sluggish going up but can still keep up. Installed air bags to the rear & don’t have wdh. Pretty pleased with the combo BUT if I ever upgraded to a 19 would consider another tv.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:01 PM   #7
Bar

Trailer: n/a
Thank you everyone for your replies. All very helpful.
Bar is offline   Reply With Quote