Towing an Escape 19 with an 08 Honda Pilot - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2017, 10:33 AM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Whereas clearly and frequently stated brand animosity makes ones statements inherently valuable?

Yours could be seen as a quite insulting post. People can differ and have well reasoned decisions that might not agree with yours, but insults have no place here IMHO.
Just be NICE. Please. If you couldn't sit across a picnic table from someone and say "whatever words," they don't belong here either. Remember that.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:56 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
I saw nothing insulting there- just a reminder to verify specs and not take for granted anything. Interesting to me is the 2008 Pilot instructions making the distinction between a boat and a trailer. Possible frontal area concerns? Ya think?
Rossue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:58 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
I saw nothing insulting there- just a reminder to verify specs and not take for granted anything. Interesting to me is the 2008 Pilot instructions making the distinction between a boat and a trailer. Possible frontal area concerns? Ya think?
Ok, I give

I guess there is no way this statement could be insulting to anyone: Brand loyalty and whether a member owns a particular vehicle often taints these threads and sometimes renders their advice useless

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:22 AM   #24

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Ok, I give

I guess there is no way this statement could be insulting to anyone: Brand loyalty and whether a member owns a particular vehicle often taints these threads and sometimes renders their advice useless
I have never , nor will I ever recommend any vehicle based solely on the fact that I own a particular model or the manufacturer of a vehicle.
I own a 2014 Ram 1500 V8 truck and would not recommend it to others as an adequate tow vehicle for either an Escape 19 or 21
My Ram's limited & low payload is a major issue when towing my Casita 17 ft SD .
My point was that if one does not research and take into account all of a vehicle's actual limitations and simply makes assumptions based on anecdotal evidence , one could make a flawed decision.
We like our Ram1500 truck , but to deny our trucks limits and shortcomings is foolish IMHO.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:40 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I will try to explain this one more time.

If you had left off the final sentence :"Brand loyalty and whether a member owns a particular vehicle often taints these threads and sometimes renders their advice useless"
I would see nothing insulting to others in your post.

Many people visit here wanting to hear first hand experience people have had with specific vehicles used as tows. Some good folks here have thousands of miles of actual towing experience with specific trailer/tow combinations and to call their advice useless I consider to be very insulting to them. When I picked a specific tow, I was generously provided with experience report from two very good friends of mine, who I respect very much. Their advice was far from useless to me.

I will again reiterate, everyone here is entitled to their own opinions. Inability to accept others opinions and then demeaning them is insulting and I see it serving no positive purpose here.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:56 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by True North View Post
I have decided to borrow my nephews truck to pick the trailer up, he has a full sized Chevy 1/2 ton that is more than capable.
Brian B-P thanks for the numbers, I see you are in the neighborhood, maybe we can chat trailers sometime over a coffee.

TN ......

We could go through the truck's numbers before the trip, if you would like. Let me know by PM or (even better) e-mail...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:17 PM   #27

Trailer: ISO Escape 19
I suppose I should have just stated full sized pick up, I don't have tow figures for it but my nephew tows a roughly 30 foot trailer with it. Speaking with him the towing capacity is well above 5000 pounds.

TN ....
True North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:08 PM   #28

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
If you look at the design of a boat which is designed to cut through water and is quite aerodynamic, unlike the body shape of many trailers which are definitely not.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:22 PM   #29

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
If you had left off the final sentence :"Brand loyalty and whether a member owns a particular vehicle often taints these threads and sometimes renders their advice useless" I would see nothing insulting to others in your post.
Not trying to reignite anything here but just thought I would add that it all depends on how you read this line. I did not find this offensive, but just a caution that some people who bought an expensive vehicle of a particular brand may not want to admit its shortcomings or are simply ignorant to the actual performance shortcomings versus other competing vehicles. I think about this like a Chevy Camaro vs. Ford Mustang debate. Many are blinded by fierce loyalty and will not concede even in the face of evidence to the contrary.

The best part about this forum is there are people who have an abundance of experience and want to genuinely help others by providing accurate information. Whether that information is useful to the reader and applies to their situation is sometimes subjective and at their discretion.
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:38 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
If brand loyalty taints taints these threads, and renders advice useless, this forum might as well be shut down, as the vast majority of the membership owns an Escape, and I would say majority of those are to some degree loyal to the brand. Sure this earned loyalty makes us bias, but it does not change fact. No different to brand loyalty with vehicles.

Loyalty for me is earned for the most part. Case in point, an email with a three queries on issues that arose with my 5.0TA sent to Reace, was responded to almost immediately, fully satisfying any concern I had, with a few parts getting sent off to me. This is the kinda thing that promotes loyalty for me.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:24 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Anyone making an important decision on a tow vehicle needs to do their own numbers for GCWR, GCVR for trailer and for vehicle and towing capacity, and visit to try out vehicles of interest. One or even several opinions on a forum should only give the person ideas as to how to assess their own needs. They need to do their own figuring and looking. We can tell them much of what to look at but they need to do it themselves anyway. Only they know where they drive, their loads, theirs speeds.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:55 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I find it hard to believe that Steve's Ram Hemi is not enough truck for his Casita. I'm aware that Ram and, for that matter most other standard 1/2 ton trucks have limits on what can be carried in the truck bed, but with judicious loading, it can just about pull any trailer out there.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I have never , nor will I ever recommend any vehicle based solely on the fact that I own a particular model or the manufacturer of a vehicle.
I own a 2014 Ram 1500 V8 truck and would not recommend it to others as an adequate tow vehicle for either an Escape 19 or 21
My Ram's limited & low payload is a major issue when towing my Casita 17 ft SD .
My point was that if one does not research and take into account all of a vehicle's actual limitations and simply makes assumptions based on anecdotal evidence , one could make a flawed decision.
We like our Ram1500 truck , but to deny our trucks limits and shortcomings is foolish IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I find it hard to believe that Steve's Ram Hemi is not enough truck for his Casita. I'm aware that Ram and, for that matter most other standard 1/2 ton trucks have limits on what can be carried in the truck bed, but with judicious loading, it can just about pull any trailer out there.

The Ram websites listed payload capacity for my truck is approx 1600 lbs.
My actual payload capacity is 1280 lbs after subtracting for factory and dealer installed options ( Door Sticker Payload Capacity) .
Now subtract from my actual payload capacity (1280 lbs ) , the weight of my fiberglass topper , bed mat , trailer tongue weight , trailer hitch , wife , dog and myself , and I have less than 100 lbs of remaining payload capacity . Throwing 2 lawn chairs and a couple arm loads of firewood puts me over my listed payload capacity. and my RAWR . Judicious loading does not solve this problem nor does denying the problem exists
Again one is free to ignore their vehicles ratings as I am free to follow them.
I would rather base my decisions concerning my tow vehicle on calculated facts than on conjecture .

Best Wishes
Steve D
Old 02-13-2017, 06:55 PM   #34

This is why I did not purchase a 300# fiberglass topper on my 2014 Ram, I had one on my 2009 Ram and knew it impacted my capacity. But with 1450# available I'm happy with a lightweight tonneau cover pulling my 450 tongue weight trailer, 2 dogs, spouse and 300# in the bed, no conjecture, just the facts. Drop the heavy fg topper and you will be fine.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:09 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
This is why I did not purchase a 300# fiberglass topper on my 2014 Ram, I had one on my 2009 Ram and knew it impacted my capacity. But with 1450# available I'm happy with a lightweight tonneau cover pulling my 450 tongue weight trailer, 2 dogs, spouse and 300# in the bed, no conjecture, just the facts. Drop the heavy fg topper and you will be fine.
Jim , this is going nowhere and has gotten senseless
Let's just agree to disagree and end it there.
We both have valid viewpoints and our continued arguing contributes nothing.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:31 PM   #36

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Jim , this is going nowhere and is gotten senseless
Let's just agree to disagree and end it there.
We both have valid viewpoints and our continued arguing contributes nothing.
okay.....
Old 02-14-2017, 10:34 AM   #37

Trailer: ISO Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Anyone making an important decision on a tow vehicle needs to do their own numbers for GCWR, GCVR for trailer and for vehicle and towing capacity, and visit to try out vehicles of interest. One or even several opinions on a forum should only give the person ideas as to how to assess their own needs. They need to do their own figuring and looking. We can tell them much of what to look at but they need to do it themselves anyway. Only they know where they drive, their loads, theirs speeds.

Float 5 ....

You are absolutely right, as I do my homework and browse through different vehicle specs it surprises me how quickly the weights can put a vehicle over the GVWR. Of course the math has to be done for the the GCWR as well, so one needs to look for a vehicle that is capable, and has a margin of safety you are comfortable with.

Then there is the test drives and the choosing the options, trim levels, personal preferences, and budget considerations.

TN ......
True North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:12 PM   #38

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by True North View Post
Float 5 ....

You are absolutely right, as I do my homework and browse through different vehicle specs it surprises me how quickly the weights can put a vehicle over the GVWR. Of course the math has to be done for the the GCWR as well, so one needs to look for a vehicle that is capable, and has a margin of safety you are comfortable with.

Then there is the test drives and the choosing the options, trim levels, personal preferences, and budget considerations.

TN ......
You look as if you are in good shape. You will get it all figured out well from what you already know.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:57 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017 F250
Honda gas tank size

We own a 2013 Honda Pilot. I used it to tow a small Camplite. I do not remember the tongue weight and payload limits. I checked them and weighed everything and it workrg with a 20% margin. On our first real trip we went to Alaska. We love the car, but it has a 20gal tank. 13 mpg is a good day pulling a small trailer; and in Alaska gas stations can be in short supply. Long story short... on the way home we went shopping for an F150 with a 36 gal tank.
Little Richie is offline   Reply With Quote