Towing and spare tires - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2018, 08:19 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Charlies' persuader had a long handle attached to a hefty steel hammer. My new one will be a softer touch though hopefully just as persuasive.
Heck, get one with steel shot inside. Sometimes more than a soft touch is needed.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:17 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
i carry a 6 pound engineers hammer/mallet in my trailers toolbox. its primary use is driving stakes for securing awnings and such, but its good for lots of things that need a stiff whack.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:45 PM   #23

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Just got home from the tire store, buying a real spare tire for my new Ram, and also had to buy a wheel....their "full size spare" is the same diameter but a narrower (translates to lighter and cheaper) wheel so can't mount a matching tire on the spare's wheel. Sigh....would still have bought this truck, but it sure is irritating. When that cheesy flimsy spare came off and I saw it on the ground I was really glad I replaced it, it looked kind of like a balloon with some squiggly very shallow tread lines on it....just enough to get you to a service station, I suppose. The fact that the spare called for 60 PSI tells me that the sidewalls are pretty thin.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:01 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
This hammer might do, if you are worthy
Attached Images

James Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:29 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Gang View Post
This hammer might do, if you are worthy
Probably not, I’ll bet it’s styrofoam 😂
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:35 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
I do rotate my tires twice a year, and they will sometimes (usually) need a good kick after the lug nuts are off to get the wheel off of the hub.
I do that on my truck too, when I swap for the winter tires, and then again when I put on the summer tires.

Using winter tires once daytime temps get down near freezing, and especially on snow and ice, has made a huge improvement on traction, whether towing or not.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:07 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Just got home from the tire store, buying a real spare tire for my new Ram, and also had to buy a wheel....their "full size spare" is the same diameter but a narrower (translates to lighter and cheaper) wheel so can't mount a matching tire on the spare's wheel. Sigh....would still have bought this truck, but it sure is irritating. When that cheesy flimsy spare came off and I saw it on the ground I was really glad I replaced it, it looked kind of like a balloon with some squiggly very shallow tread lines on it....just enough to get you to a service station, I suppose. The fact that the spare called for 60 PSI tells me that the sidewalls are pretty thin.
Were you able to mount the full sized spare underneath? Mine is carried in my bed under the tonneau and I left the spare underneath.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Were you able to mount the full sized spare underneath? Mine is carried in my bed under the tonneau and I left the spare underneath.
Yes, since the factory spare tire was at least the same outside diameter as the regular tires, the real tire fit fine...probably a bit thicker and perhaps hangs down an inch more but not a problem.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:12 PM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
...their "full size spare" is the same diameter but a narrower...
The fact that the spare called for 60 PSI tells me that the sidewalls are pretty thin.
The higher pressure indicates that the spare tire is narrower - that's normal for compact spares, especially if they are small in diameter but even at full diameter. This spare tire is designed for higher pressure (would normally mean a thicker sidewall), but very limited use and light weight. It will have poor resistance to sidewall impacts, and poor ability to handle sustained high speed.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:01 AM   #30

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The higher pressure indicates that the spare tire is narrower - that's normal for compact spares, especially if they are small in diameter but even at full diameter. This spare tire is designed for higher pressure (would normally mean a thicker sidewall), but very limited use and light weight. It will have poor resistance to sidewall impacts, and poor ability to handle sustained high speed.
.....and probably unsuitable to use while towing a trailer!
Old 08-30-2018, 06:43 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes, the wheel the spare was mounted on was too narrow to accommodate a standard size tire, that's why I had to also buy a wheel. If you will be towing, you definitely don't want to be in the middle of nowhere and have to put on one of those temporary spares.