Towing and the wrangler unlimited - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2016, 05:54 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Thanks Brian B P for post #17 and thanks to my Dad who told me when I was 14 that "people will lie to you". In October of 2012 Toyota used a 5600 lb Tundra to pull a 292,000 lb. Space Shuttle and trailer across a bridge. Sustained towing, safely, takes plenty of dog and not so much tail. Advertising and publicity stunts, not so much.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:51 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If my FJ Cruiser can tow my Escape 19, I'd like to know if the Jeep Wrangler Limited could, It would look awesome as a tow vehicle.
I understand the comparison - the two vehicles are of a roughly similar size, proportions, and type. They even have about the same size and design of engine, and very similar rear suspensions.

As Robert says, it's a matter of the numbers. I don't know what the GCWR of the FJ Cruiser is, but the 5000 pound trailer rating implies that it must be much higher than that of the Wrangler. DaimlerChrysler (now Fiat Chrysler Automobiles) just didn't do what was needed to get the Wrangler's GCWR as high as Toyota did for the FJ Cruiser (and other vehicles on the same platform, such as the 4Runner and LandCruiser Prado).

Quote:
I'm wondering if standard shift would be better than auto if there is no trans cooler or oil cooler. Any thoughts?
Good point, but:
  1. We don't know if transmission cooling is the limitation.
  2. With a manual transmission the clutch could be just as limiting.

The transmission issue is one example of the problem always faced by anyone looking to go beyond the manufacturer's ratings: we don't know all the factors which contributed to those ratings.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Our option list is without A.C., without microwave, with solar, with dual batteries, with storage box and a u-shaped dinette. Always have been light packers. It's only the two of us. Always been light packers.
A/C and microwave are common and heavy options - this sounds like a reasonable plan.

Quote:
The sales person's only reply was that it would tow the 19 easily...
So, as usual, nothing useful from the sales person. Some of them are focused entirely on engine power, and indeed the Wrangler's 3.6L V6 is probably fine in that one respect if you have reasonable expectations.

Quote:
... the hitch people said that with the class 3 hitch, which will distribute the weights, we wouldn't have a problem as long as we keep everything in proportions.
The hitch class is just a category of capacity, which has nothing to do with weight distribution; assuming the best of the hitch people, they presumably meant a weight-distributing hitch (WDH)... a hunk of hardware which will use up another hundred pounds or more out of the vehicle's capacity (and which is not needed).

All the WDH would do is force the Jeep's front axle and the trailer's axles to take more of the load, and the Jeep's rear axle to take less (as well as keeping the trailer and tug coupling from turning freely). This doesn't change the combined weight rating, so I don't see it fixing anything. "No problem" may just mean that the Jeep's rear suspension doesn't bottom out and the trailer doesn't sway... like having enough power, both are good things to achieve, but not sufficient to declare success.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:49 PM   #24

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
The shorter wheelbase has a choppy ride and is hard on the back. A friend of mine pulled a work trailer and as a passenger it was not a pleasant ride at all . The Longer wheelbase the better .
Old 03-30-2016, 10:43 PM   #25

Wheelbase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
The shorter wheelbase has a choppy ride and is hard on the back. A friend of mine pulled a work trailer and as a passenger it was not a pleasant ride at all . The Longer wheelbase the better .
Absolutely - and both Dave and Marry have not only the current (JK) Wrangler (much longer than predecessors), but the Unlimited (4 door) version of that... which has a 116" wheelbase. That's longer than most SUVs used to tow Escapes.

The JK Wrangler is unusual for vehicles other than pickup trucks, in that the difference between the short and long wheelbases is exceptionally large. While the 116" Unlimited is longer than average, the 95" 2-door is shorter than average.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:50 PM   #26

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Update from my side: I did send an e-mail to Reace to find out what our "dry" weight (trailer with our options) will be. I know we will be pushing the limits, but as long as we can stay within the limits at least all you guys will know it's us driving by:-).
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:14 PM   #27

Our 19 with our options: dry weight 2880 lbs
Old 03-31-2016, 01:28 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
what is your tongue weight?
Old 03-31-2016, 03:29 PM   #29

Trailer: Jeep/Ursa Minor 2013
New member here. I am interested in this thread as I am hoping to use our Wrangler Unlimited as a TV for an as yet to be acquired 17B. Our Jeep is a 2013 Rubicon with 4:10 gearing, auto (w/ trans cooler), tow package and an aftermarket suspension. The load capacity is indeed small ~900 lbs. We have a popup top, stove and fridge mounted in our Jeep so there is not much capacity left after my wife and I get in. Although it would easier with a bigger TV, we like trips to remote locations and hope to use the 17B as a base camp from which we will explore further in the Jeep. Think Four Corners area in US.

Here is a picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3292.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	15660

It seems like I may be pushing the limits even with the 17B. It will be our first TT, but I have trailered boats around for 40 years.

Thanks for the Escape wisdom!!

Kelly
KellyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:38 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Welcome KellyM to our little world,
You can remove the refer and stove since those will be in the camper. Good luck and try to view an Escape near you.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:58 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyM View Post
I am interested in this thread as I am hoping to use our Wrangler Unlimited as a TV for an as yet to be acquired 17B. Our Jeep is a 2013 Rubicon with 4:10 gearing, auto (w/ trans cooler), tow package and an aftermarket suspension. The load capacity is indeed small ~900 lbs. We have a popup top, stove and fridge mounted in our Jeep so there is not much capacity left after my wife and I get in. Although it would easier with a bigger TV, we like trips to remote locations and hope to use the 17B as a base camp from which we will explore further in the Jeep.
That looks like a slick setup in the Jeep.

It does seem like having RV equipment both in the Jeep and in the trailer is redundant, and so it would be obvious to eliminate one or the other. The popup camper could be removed from the Jeep, or the trailer could be stripped of its kitchen, saving weight either way. On the other hand, I can see wanting to keep the Jeep equipped for select trips without the trailer, or for when further afield than the home base trailer; I can also see wanting to keep the trailer fully equipped so meals could be enjoyed in the comfort of the trailer when at the trailer site. Two refrigerators of capacity would be nice.

The big capacity concern for towing with a Wrangler is with the 19'; it seems manageable to me with the 17B... although care will be needed with tongue weight due to the load already in the Jeep.

In other forums I have noticed that some Jeep TJ and JK owners run into concerns with load capacity even when not towing a trailer, due to the weight of all of the equipment that they carry.

Quote:
You can remove the refer and stove since those will be in the camper.
It appears that this isn't just a refrigerator and stove; it is a camper insert with a pop-up roof... essentially a camper in itself.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:06 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That looks like a slick setup in the Jeep.

It does seem like having RV equipment both in the Jeep and in the trailer is redundant, and so it would be obvious to eliminate one or the other. The popup camper could be removed from the Jeep, or the trailer could be stripped of its kitchen, saving weight either way. On the other hand, I can see wanting to keep the Jeep equipped for select trips without the trailer, or for when further afield than the home base trailer; I can also see wanting to keep the trailer fully equipped so meals could be enjoyed in the comfort of the trailer when at the trailer site. Two refrigerators of capacity would be nice.

The big capacity concern for towing with a Wrangler is with the 19'; it seems manageable to me with the 17B... although care will be needed with tongue weight due to the load already in the Jeep.

In other forums I have noticed that some Jeep TJ and JK owners run into concerns with load capacity even when not towing a trailer, due to the weight of all of the equipment that they carry.

It appears that this isn't just a refrigerator and stove; it is a camper insert with a pop-up roof... essentially a camper in itself.
Thanks, Brian. We like the Jeep a lot. It gets us to some awesome spots, but it is a little tight on multi-day trips for my wife and me, especially when we bring our two Aussie dogs. It was the perfect size, however, for my daughter when she took it for a three month tour of the West by herself.

Actually the top is separate from the fridge and stove. It is a fiberglass replacement for the OEM top. The aftermarket options for Jeep are pretty modular.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1 (6) (2).jpg
Views:	18
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	15663

My wife tells me the fridge is the best mod we have made, and it is hard to disagree. We use it even when we are just doing day trips.

As you guessed, we are hoping to keep the fully outfitted Jeep and the fully outfitted 17B for different types of trips and for a base camp and overnight explore vehicle for some of the more remote places.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:49 PM   #33

Quote:
what is your tongue weight?
According to Sarah it will be about 10% higher then their spec says.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:59 PM   #34

Hi Kelly, it almost seems we are in the same boat. I did see a Wrangler you have myself here at the dealership, awesome!
About your towing package: check which class they put on. It might be the wrong one. We asked our dealer what they normally put on when the Wrangler comes with a towing package, and that one was a class lower then ETI recommends.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:33 PM   #35

Quote:
About your towing package: check which class they put on. It might be the wrong one. We asked our dealer what they normally put on when the Wrangler comes with a towing package, and that one was a class lower then ETI recommends.
There is no purpose in having a hitch which is rated for a much higher capacity (and thus a higher class) than required. The Wrangler's capacity is 3500 pounds, which is the upper limit of Class 2. A 2" receiver box (rather than the 1.25" which is more commonly used for Class 2 hitches) is preferable, but the 2" dimension doesn't make it Class 3.

JK Wrangler hitches designed as Jeep intended consist of a receiver box bolted to the rear crossmember of the Jeep's frame. No matter how you construct that box, it won't change the strength of the crossmember, so there's no point in going overboard. Some people use a receiver built into an aftermarket bumper, and some of them have much higher capacity, and it wouldn't make sense to me to add one of those massive bumpers to get more hitch strength than you can use.

Many people will recommend a "Class 3" hitch when they really mean a 2" receiver.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:19 AM   #36

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Can you get a Class 2 hitch receiver for use with a weight distribution hitch? I think not. So, the reason for getting a Class 3 receiver is get one made for use with WDH.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:53 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Can you get a Class 2 hitch receiver for use with a weight distribution hitch? I think not. So, the reason for getting a Class 3 receiver is get one made for use with WDH.
First, a weight-distributing hitch seems like more of a problem than fix for a Wrangler Unlimited towing anything: it is not a short-wheelbase or lightweight vehicle so it doesn't need help with stability or weight transfer, and it is payload-limited and GCWR-limited so adding a huge lump of steel isn't the best way to fix excessive tongue weight.

The owner's manual says that the hitch weight limit is 350 pounds... WD or not. The manual includes a definition of a Weight-Distributing Hitch - along with a couple of non-vehicle-specific warnings - in the general definitions section, but provides no guidance for WD use specific to the Wrangler, and no suggestion that a WDH would magically exempt the operator from any of the limits. I saw no reason to use WDH with a Wrangler Unlimited before reading the manual, and still see none now.

You can't get a WDH for a 1.25" receiver, so if you do choose to use WD, you need a 2" receiver... which isn't necessarily Class 3. If you are putting a bike rack or other accessory in the receiver, the 2" size is generally preferred... still doesn't need to be Class 3. The aftermarket hitches from Curt and Cequent which bolt on in the method designed by Jeep are the 2" size and do allow WD use (and are rated barely into Class 3 only if using WD). In a quick search of online discussions, it appears that the OEM hitch is also 2", but I didn't see a size indication on the Jeep website.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:57 AM   #38

Mine can with a 2" receiver, although the manual describes it as a Class II. I hadn't heard that a Class II will not work with a WDH. I will look into that. I have no experience with WDHs, as my other TV is a 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban and the heaviest trailer/boat combo I currently have is around 5000lbs.

I will have some additional work to do on the Jeep before doing any real towing -- change the 4 pin to 7 pin, installing a brake controller, upgrading the braking components and perhaps installing a beefier anti-sway bar.

Thanks to all for the thoughts. I has been helpful as I sort through these issues.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:03 AM   #39

Quote:
Hi Kelly, it almost seems we are in the same boat. I did see a Wrangler you have myself here at the dealership, awesome!
Hi Marry - I will be following your progress closely . It would be great if it turns out the JKUR works as a TV for a 19!
Old 04-01-2016, 10:08 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Hi Gbaglo - I was intending to PM you about towing with a RAV4. From what I saw, it looks like the RAV4 is only tow rated for 1500lbs in the US. Clearly I am missing something as there appear to be others using RAV4s as TVs. Can you share your experiences towing the 17 with your RAV4?