Towing behind 5.0 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2017, 07:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Trail Cruiser 529bh
Towing behind 5.0

Hey guys, thinking of upgrading our 2005 Trail cruise to a full fiberglass. Like many first time owners, we were taken for a ride by a crooked dealership in Ontario when they sold us a water dammaged unit. Made me realize how crappy the comon trailers were built. Anyways, just wondering if anyone has towed behind their 5.0? Looking at towing a 2700 lbs boat. Anyone have modified with a hitch?
Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Welcome...so you want to tow your boat behind an Escape 5th wheel trailer if have got you correct...interesting. How many provinces is this legal to do this in and what would be your tow vehicle?
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:18 PM   #3

It is legal everywhere but BC. As long as you Hauser 75ft or less. Some places, like SK, allow ball to ball. In MB, you need 5th wheel to the vehicle. My Sierra as 9500 towing. So it all fits. My current trailer is too heavy. I don't feel like getting a bigger truck, so smaller camper is the way to go.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Have we heard of anyone doing this with an Escape? I would ask ETI about it as they likely have had that question and know what they think.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:30 PM   #5

Spoke to someone there, all they could tell me was the stock hitch (bike rack) was not strong enough.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:30 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There is a weight limit, I think it is 100# for the rear hitch on Escapes.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
I was told by someone at ETI 150 pounds on the rear bumper, so I mentioned there is already a spare tire mounted there. They asked for clarification on their end and came back saying 150 pounds on the box hitch.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
Hey guys, thinking of upgrading our 2005 Trail cruise to a full fiberglass. Like many first time owners, we were taken for a ride by a crooked dealership in Ontario when they sold us a water dammaged unit. Made me realize how crappy the comon trailers were built. Anyways, just wondering if anyone has towed behind their 5.0? Looking at towing a 2700 lbs boat. Anyone have modified with a hitch?

The hitch on the 5.0 is only suitable for a bike rack or storage box as its only rated for 150 lbs. think you would have to substantially reinforce frame. What would the tongue weight on the boat trailer be ? Wondering what ETI would think about putting that stress on the frame?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:38 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Spoke to someone there, all they could tell me was the stock hitch (bike rack) was not strong enough.
You might ask for an answer specifically from Reace so as not to have them say later that you voided the warranty or some such.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:39 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
150 pounds on the stock 2 inch receiver. I think with the proper re enforcement it would be just as strong as any other RV that had a hitch stuck to it...not that I can recommend it. It will be interesting to see if some one pops up that has done this.
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:49 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
150 pounds on the stock 2 inch receiver. I think with the proper re enforcement it would be just as strong as any other RV that had a hitch stuck to it...not that I can recommend it. It will be interesting to see if some one pops up that has done this.

I wouldn't bet on that, the frame on a 10 or 20k trailer has to be much more substantial than a 5k trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:20 PM   #12

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Humorous ingenuity....

Colorado DOT weight restrictions used to simply be total weight (truck plus load) divided by number of axles. In the 1970's, a savvy freight manager realized his trucks could carry more weight if he would simply mount a ball hitch on the back of his big trucks and have them pull an empty boat trailer to add another axle. The idea spread, and first thing you know, big trucks all over the state were pulling boat trailers behind them and carrying heavier loads. The DOT cried foul, but the laws, as written, were on the side of the truckers. It took a couple years to work through the courts and new legislation, but there was finally a compromise that the state would raise weight restrictions if the trucking industry would stop towing empty boat trailers around. The Mother of invention....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:50 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I would definitely talk to Reace. It may be doable, but I would be that the existing receiver would not be up to snuff, and you would likely need something engineered to work. While Escape says up to 150 lbs of weight is fine, and I bet it could handle a lot more, it is the weight you are pulling that would make the difference. The receiver tube is welded under the 2x3 frame, and a 2x2 cross member 9" back.

Quote:
In MB, you need 5th wheel to the vehicle. My Sierra as 9500 towing..
AB as well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:46 AM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Anyways, just wondering if anyone has towed behind their 5.0?
I'm sure that someone has, but I haven't searched the forum for the discussion yet.

Quote:
Looking at towing a 2700 lbs boat.
A boat is probably the most common second trailer. Rules in some jurisdictions limit the type of trailer in the second position, and a boat trailer is the most likely one allowed.

Here in Alberta, the first trailer must be longer than the second, and that's a reasonable and likely common requirement... so how long is that boat on the trailer?

There can be other requirements as well. For instance, in Alberta the first trailer must have tandem axles; that's not a problem for the 5.0TA, which is what I assume is being considered, but the earlier fifth-wheel Escape had a single axle. Another requirement here is that the first trailer must use a fifth-wheel (pin and plate) hitch; that's what a 5.0 or 5.0TA has, but it means that here you could not use something like the Andersen Ultimate system which is popular with 5.0TA owners. There's usually an overall length limit, which one might think would not be a problem with the relatively short Escape, but might be an issue in some areas with an unusually long truck and a long boat.

Quote:
Anyone have modified with a hitch?
The hitch receiver, which Escape refers to as...
Quote:
2″ Bike Rack Receiver (150lb Capacity)
... is currently standard equipment.

The weight limit probably has more to do with stability than strength, but I agree with the advice to consult with Escape... and specifically with Reace.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
How many provinces is this legal to do this in ...
Quote:
It is legal everywhere but BC.
That might be true, but I wouldn't bet on that. The published collections of towing rules are usually full of errors, but the ones that I have seen show that 3-unit rigs (tow vehicle plus two trailers) are not allowed in at least half of the provinces and territories.
Towing Rules and Regulations Throughout Canada
Towing regulations
Summary of Provincial RV Regulations
British Columbia (which definitely does not allow this), New Brunswick, Newfoundland & Labrador, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Prince Edward Island, and Yukon seem to be consistently listed as "no". Ontario, Quebec, and Nova Scotia show up with both "yes" and "no" in the lists. Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba are all "yes" (with conditions). To be fair to the people who assembled the lists, regulations do change sometimes, and are sometimes not very clear.

Of course, in addition to what regulations allow on the road and what Escape Trailer Industries allows for the trailer, there's the question of what constitutes a stable and safe rig... and that would not likely include a trailer of any significance behind an Escape. Yes, commercial trucks do this routinely, but they are proportioned and equipped very differently from a travel trailer.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:26 AM   #16

From a previous discussion, regarding towing a smaller boat trailer behind a 5.0TA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunBound View Post
I managed to get through to Escape Trailers in BC about an hour after I made my post. The lady who answered the phone, who sounded well versed about the Escape 5.0TA, said the 2" receiver was rated for 150 lbs. of tongue weight. Although she didn't give a maximum tow weight, she felt very confident it was strong enough to tow a jetski on a trailer (1000-1100 lbs). According to her a number of Escape 5.0TA owners had towed small boats behind their Escape 5.0TA.
This is well into the thread, which had been mostly about the Andersen Ultimate hitch, but discussion of the boat trailer resumed after this post (#38).

This current discussion is about a much heavier (and longer) boat and trailer, magnifying the concerns raised in the previous discussion.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:57 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Just think what 500# on the rear would impact the pin weight and tow experience? May not be the best way to bring all your toys with you. There is a reason these are known as lightweight trailers.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:06 AM   #18

Thanks for all the feedback. I never thought about the second trailer being longer, it might be, barely, but I think it would be. I would have to weigh the tongue, but I can lift it with reasonable effort. While we drive our trailer over long distances, this would just be for the odd weekend trip to the lake, 1-2 hours down the road. Thanks for your help. I will try to go view one around Winnipeg, it might clarify some things. We are worried about downsizing with two kids, but I will post another thread about that.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:34 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape
Someone pulled a Jeep Cherokee behind a 16' Casita from Denver to Austin. He used a bolt on receiver. He reported no problems. Law enforcement showed no interest. The regs were ambiguous but nothing said specifically no so he did it.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
The 2 inch receivers on the back of Escape trailers, welded to 2x3 frame components, all have a 150 lb. limit. It's pretty clear that this is way under what it will actually support.
The unknown is the amount of lateral load (side-to-side) that the frame supporting the receiver will withstand. The worst lateral loads would typically be in driving situations with sudden side to side movements such as avoiding errant other drivers. There, your boat (or other) trailer wants to continue one direction, while your tow vehicle and Escape trailer are trying to go another. There is no diagonal framing bracing, so those lateral loads are resisted by and transmitted by only the rigid weld connections from frame member to frame member, and the bolted-on trailer body itself.
I can understand why ETI has wisely greatly limited the allowed value to 150 lb. in an abundance of caution to protect the integrity of their product.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote