towing capacity question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2021, 01:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 4wheel / 2019 E19
Question towing capacity question

Have an E19 @ 3000lbs? and 900lb pop up on a 2014 Ram 1500 8cyl.
Dont know how to calculate if Im gonna be stressing out the truck in any way going over Mtn passes. tow weight ? load weight? tongue weight?

thumbs up or down is fine too.
bozbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Where do you get 3000 lbs. for a 2019 Escape 19? Try closer to 4000 loaded.
Old 07-28-2021, 02:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My 2009 17B is 3,200lbs. loaded.
Old 07-28-2021, 02:41 PM   #4

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
towing a 19 or 21 in Co.

I grew up in Co. so we visit frequently. My sisters family lived in Leadville for 40 years and we had to visit. We towed the 19 and the 21 over just about every paved pass in Co. with Jeep, Durango and now a Ram, but each one had the Hemi engine and no problem anywhere.
AZjack
P.S. we'll be in Grand Junction Oct. 6th to 11th for a reunion
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 2022 E19
Thumbs up

In general, you should be

But, you will generally run out of available payload before reaching the supposed/mythical/marketing ploy towing capacity with a light duty pickup.

Depends on many factors. You state you have a V-8, but what rear axle ratio? Loaded with options? (more options mean more weight and less payload)

Check your driver's door frame for the "Tire and Loading" sticker for your actual vehicle's payload value.

Subtract the weight of all occupants and cargo carried on/in the vehicle. This includes the tongue weight of the trailer.

ETI specs the tongue weight of a 19 at around #300 - I'd add #100 to be conservative.

Though I doubt it will be a factor for a 2014 Ram PU, cross reference your truck's configuration (body style, bed length, engine and axle ratio for the max trailer weight)

Notice it states max trailer weight..............you will normally run out of available payload before getting anywhere near that.

Truck tires good?

Limitations for the different types of hitches apply as well.
Hopefully you have a receiver hitch setup and not just a ball mounted on your bumper.........
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 03:21 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozbie View Post
Have an E19 @ 3000lbs? and 900lb pop up on a 2014 Ram 1500 8cyl.
Dont know how to calculate if Im gonna be stressing out the truck in any way going over Mtn passes. tow weight ? load weight? tongue weight?

thumbs up or down is fine too.
from what Iím reading, you got a 900 lb pop up truck camper in the bed of a 1/2 ton truck, and now you want to add a Escape 19 on the hitch. Is that correct? If it is your going to be way over your payload. IMO. Look at your door sticker, it will tell you your payload limit.
So the pop up weighs 900 lbs, plus add 200 lbs for food, clothes , etc. the 19 loaded tongue weight going to be around 400 lbs or more. Plus you and the wife. I wouldnít do it. Buts thatís just me.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
from what Iím reading, you got a 900 lb pop up truck camper in the bed of a 1/2 ton truck, and now you want to add a Escape 19 on the hitch. Is that correct? If it is your going to be way over your payload. IMO. Look at your door sticker, it will tell you your payload limit.
So the pop up weighs 900 lbs, plus add 200 lbs for food, clothes , etc. the 19 loaded tongue weight going to be around 400 lbs or more. Plus you and the wife. I wouldnít do it. Buts thatís just me.

My bold and underline added above.

If this is the case, a #900 pop up in the bed, and want to tow a E19 in addition to such, I will retract my "Thumbs up".
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 17A
When in doubt, take your trailer to a public scale and weigh it.
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I assume that what the truck is carrying is a Four Wheel Pop-Up Camper.

If you already have the trailer and the pop-up camper is already sitting in the truck, you can skip any calculations and just drive (carefully) to a scale to see if the rig exceeds any limits (as it almost certainly will).

Get the weight of the entire rig (truck, pop-up, trailer loaded for travel, cargo, passengers) and compare that to the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR). The GCWR should be in your owner's manual, and it will depend on the engine, transmission, axle ratio, and perhaps whether or not you have a factory towing package.
If it isn't in the manual, check this 2014 Ram 1500 Towing and Payload chart; GCWR could be from 12,100 to 15,650 pounds depending on transmission and axle ratio, and the combined weight of the loaded truck plus trailer shouldn't be even close to that.
Get the weight of just the truck (total of both axles) while the trailer is attached - again everything loaded as you would travel - and compare that to the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). The GVWR should be on a sticker or placard on the driver's door or door frame; it will depend on the cab type, box length, various options, and likely on whether or not you have a factory payload package.
The same chart shows that this will likely be between 6,350 and 6,800 pounds, and the loaded truck plus trailer will almost certainly exceed that. The empty truck by itself likely weighs over 5,000 pounds, so it may be overweight with the camper, passengers, and cargo... even without the trailer.
Compare the weight on just the truck's rear axle - again everything loaded as you would travel - and compare that to the Gross Axle Weight Rating for the rear (GAWR-Rear). The GAWRs (front and rear) should be on the same sticker or placard on the driver's door or door frame as the GVWR; it will depend on the cab type, box length, various options, and likely on whether or not you have a factory payload package.

My guess: you'll be okay for GCWR and perhaps GAWR-Rear, but over the GVWR (meaning that you have exceeded the truck's payload capability).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:04 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 4wheel / 2019 E19
Talking Towing capacity

Thanks for all the ideas. A lotto digest, but I have tomorrow to weigh and calculate all variables.
Now all I need is a translation from Greek to English! Ha ha!
Thank you all
bozbie is offline   Reply With Quote