Towing Escape 21/23 with 2020 Explorer Platinum? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2020, 11:58 AM   #1

Trailer: None yet
Towing Escape 21/23 with 2020 Explorer Platinum?

2020 Explorer is supposed to be rear wheel biased, and it's towing capacity is 5600 lb. Also equipped with 3L ecoboost, 365HP and 380lb.

Do you guys think this truck will be able to tow either 21 or 23 safely, including Rocky Mountain highways?
yhbae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhbae View Post
2020 Explorer is supposed to be rear wheel biased, and it's towing capacity is 5600 lb. Also equipped with 3L ecoboost, 365HP and 380lb.

Do you guys think this truck will be able to tow either 21 or 23 safely, including Rocky Mountain highways?
With a 5600 lb tow capacity it will be marginal on the 23 as it has a preliminary estimated GVWR of 5500 lbs. Either of the 21's should be fine as their GVWR is 5000 lbs.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 01:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Safely is somewhat relative - a lot depends on you. Do you have experience, and are you comfortable with towing? Do you feel the need to keep up with the fastest traffic, or are you OK being a slowpoke?

But as to what you're probably really asking, I think the 2020 Explorer will be fine towing a 21, as long as you pay attention to weights. It appears the tongue weight limit is 560lbs, which should be easy to keep under, and rated payload limits are in the 1500lb to 1800lb range, depending on options. As long as you keep inside those limits, you should be fine. I would recommend using a weight distributing hitch. The 3.0L EB and 10 speed tranny is a fine power train for handling that load.

As for the 23, since none have been made, nobody knows for sure what the weights are going to be. It will for sure come closer to exceeding the published limits of the Explorer, but I expect it will be possible to keep within them. And it goes back to my first statement - safely is a relative term when it comes to towing.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 02:22 PM   #4

Between this, and a V8 Grand Cherokee, which would you prefer as a tow vehicle? Seems that GC is rated at a higher towing capacity, when properly equipped, but physically, it is no bigger than Explorer.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Between this, and a V8 Grand Cherokee, which would you prefer as a tow vehicle? Seems that GC is rated at a higher towing capacity, when properly equipped, but physically, it is no bigger than Explorer.
The V6 Grand Cherokee at 6200 lbs has a higher tow rating than the Explorer. We tow our 2019 E19 with a 2011 Grand Cherokee that has a lower towing capacity than the new ones, at 5000 lbs . I don't know what all changed but the transmission is one thing, going from a 5 to an 8 speed. Anyway, our 2011 GC has no issues pulling our 19 which has the same GVW as the 21. I have no trouble towing at the speed limit except for very long, steep. hills, and although I sometimes have to slow up a bit in that case it still does okay there, and still passes the semi's and behemouth motorhomes.

We are looking at buying a new TV in the next year or so and are considering the V6 Grand Cherokee (again) with its higher tow capacity, or the Ford Escape ST. What is holding us off is that Jeep is coming out with an all new GCGC, supposedly on a Alpha Romeo platform (verses the Mercedes chassis design it is on now) and I would like to see it. Also if you google "What is wrong with the 2020 Ford Explorer" you will see that Ford has had some significant teething problems with the new product line, and that has us thinking to wait for the 2021 model.

Like all vehicles our GC, which we have owned since new, has had a few relatively minor issues. However I have been very impressed with the mileage and performance of the V6 engine, and as we use the vehicle for more than just towing the trailer we prefer that over the V8. If you feel you must pass everything going up the hill you may want the V8.
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 03:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B1 View Post
T
“If you feel you must pass everything going up the hill you may want the V8.

My 2019 Ram truck has the 5.7 liter Hemi V8 . I bought it because I wanted a V8 and my past bad experiences with owning a V6 truck
The ability or desire to pass everything or anything for that matter had absolutely nothing to do with my decision
I normally travel ( Towing or non towing ) at or below the posted speed limit with a top speed of 64 MPH
I have no desire to be the first one to the top of the mountain!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 03:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
The Grand Cherokee is a very proven tow vehicle, and all the reviews comment on how nice their interiors are. Ford doesn't get near as high marks in this regard. I would also be leery of 1st model years. Of course, the new Grand Cherokee will have the same warning.

I learned to drive on the original, a '68 Jeep Wagoneer, and my father owned Grand Cherokees for another 30 years after that wore out, all of which I drove occasionally. My son and daughter-in-law both work for the local Ford dealership, so I have owned nothing but Fords for awhile. I have allegiances to both makes, but I would lean toward the Grand Cherokee if I was to buy SUV tow vehicle.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:51 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
When the 2020 Explorer was announced as a rear wheel drive platform it sounded very interesting. Went down for a test drive and was a bit underwhelmed. First off- almost exactly a year ago- they were quoting $5K over MSRP! HA- that was rich for sure, yet besides price the touch screen seemed liked a tablet implanted on the dashboard. Also, knew the Pano sunroof was something I did not want so only the ST could be had without one with the 3.0 EcoBoost.

After more research it became apparent that the Expedition wasn't much larger (it is taller) and the MPG is almost identical. Interesting to note the demand this year for the Explorer is negative while the Expedition is up 24%. Love this tug!
Old 07-30-2020, 10:42 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
With a 5600 lb tow capacity it will be marginal on the 23 as it has a preliminary estimated GVWR of 5500 lbs. Either of the 21's should be fine as their GVWR is 5000 lbs.
So it would be marginal if the trailer is loaded to its limit... with 1,700 pounds of options, fluids, and your stuff. Maybe it will be loaded that much, in which case a different tow vehicle would be appropriate.

With a base dry weight of 3465 pounds and a GVWR of 5,000 pounds, the 21' would be carrying 1,535 pounds of options, fluids, and stuff if fully loaded.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:16 AM   #10

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Expedition

We looked at the Explorer when it came with rear wheel drive But the new Expedition is unbelievable getting over 25 mpg at 65 mph and around town (Naples) we get 18-20 mpg and right out of the box it tows 6000 lb We got 14-15 mpg towing a E 21 from Florida to Illinois this Summer .As long as you keep it out of boost it gets Great mpg . Jim W

Also we are waiting for the 23. F-6
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
We looked at the Explorer when it came with rear wheel drive But the new Expedition is unbelievable getting over 25 mpg at 65 mph and around town (Naples) we get 18-20 mpg and right out of the box it tows 6000 lb We got 14-15 mpg towing a E 21 from Florida to Illinois this Summer .As long as you keep it out of boost it gets Great mpg . Jim W

Also we are waiting for the 23. F-6
Which engine did you get with the Expedition?
Old 07-31-2020, 08:39 AM   #12

The width of Expedition is (surprisingly) similar to Explorer at 79.9in vs 78.9in but the length is much longer, at 199.3in vs 210in. I do have a 240in garage but that is larger than any other car I've ever owned in my life.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Which engine did you get with the Expedition?
Only engine available for Gen4 (2018 +) is 3.5 EcoBoost.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:27 PM   #14

Trailer: 2012 E19
I wanted a JGC about 5 years ago and came close to buying one, but wound up finding a nice buy on a used Lexus GX470. It has been very reliable. I keep reading about parts shortages and long wait times to get FCA products repaired. And a couple months ago I saw this video about the Hemi, yikes!
Old 07-31-2020, 11:01 PM   #15

Quote:
The width of Expedition is (surprisingly) similar to Explorer at 79.9in vs 78.9in but the length is much longer, at 199.3in vs 210in. I do have a 240in garage but that is larger than any other car I've ever owned in my life.
Me too- it is 6 inches longer than my previous "short" Yukon SLT. The Expedition Max is even longer by another 10 inches. Given that we tow between 85-90% of the time with our tug the positive characteristics while towing outweigh any other potential downside. Nothing is perfect, yet all the reviews put this SUV at the top of this segment. Also, the Ford Pass app is nice; lets you start the car and lock it from your phone. Also let's you see where it is. Susan went car camping last week with our daughter tent and I could she was at Moraine campground off Hwy 120.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:15 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Susan went car camping last week with our daughter tent and I could she was at Moraine campground off Hwy 120.