Towing Escape 21 v. towing Escape 5.0 TA - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2019, 07:24 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
... had my chains put on in reverse so they are attached to the bed make hooking them up very easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonCall View Post
For those of us new to towing, can you explain where chains are attached?
This is specific to the Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection system, which converts the pin box of the trailer to a coupler for a ball, and puts a ball on top of a frame in the truck bed. Since this is not a fifth-wheel, in most places at least one safety chain is required. Chotch's second photo shows the loops on the adapter for the trailer's end of the chains; the truck ends of the chains attach to some fitting on the truck, typically attached to hitch structure at the bed floor (Chotch's first photo shows his loop fitting on the forward mounting rail).

The usual way to handle the chains has been to leave them permanently attached at the trailer (top) end, and hook them onto loops on the truck end when hooking up... but that means reaching in and down into the truck box, which is awkward.

The "reverse" method, which has become popular with 5.0TA owners using the Andersen Ultimate, is to leave the chains attached at the truck end and hook them onto the more easily reached trailer end each time the trailer is hooked up. While they are unhooked from the trailer, they can be hooked to storage locations on the inside sides of the box to keep them out of the way and handy.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:39 AM   #42

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
This is how I attached mine. They hook to rings on the pin adapter.
I do the same, probably because I copied Chotch. I had the attachments on the rear rail for a while but ended up moving them to the front rail and prefer them there as I think they are slightly more out of the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

The "reverse" method, which has become popular with 5.0TA owners using the Andersen Ultimate, is to leave the chains attached at the truck end and hook them onto the more easily reached trailer end each time the trailer is hooked up. While they are unhooked from the trailer, they can be hooked to storage locations on the inside sides of the box to keep them out of the way and handy.
I went to this reverse method after a few trips. It just made more sense to me to leave the chains in the truck bed instead of wrapping them around the rings on the trailer pin.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:15 AM   #43

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Just to show how much useable space you have when using the rail mounted Anderson Ultimate 😎
Attached Thumbnails
A29D89B3-0B8B-4D1A-BF0D-ADCB4EE604BE.jpg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 01:01 PM   #44

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
I do the same, probably because I copied Chotch. I had the attachments on the rear rail for a while but ended up moving them to the front rail and prefer them there as I think they are slightly more out of the way.

I went to this reverse method after a few trips. It just made more sense to me to leave the chains in the truck bed instead of wrapping them around the rings on the trailer pin.
I agree with all this. It is much easier with the chains attached to the truck. Another reason is it must be set up this way to use the Fort Knox lock. That's why I changed mine and I like it much better.
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:05 PM   #45

Trailer: none
I have a ram 1500 6.4 box quad , is clearance a problem on the sides and which way do you mount the adapter to the trailer is best with a Anderson hitch
oreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:40 PM   #46

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
I have a quad cab Ram 1500 with the 6-4 bed. I use a conventional hitch, not an Andersen, but with the 6-4 bed you will have plenty of clearance.
Attached Thumbnails
Hitch setup with high lift axle.jpg  
Old 12-19-2019, 06:47 PM   #47

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
dave, you need some chrome wheels to match your trucks........
Old 12-19-2019, 07:00 PM   #48

Trailer: none
Is that
high lift axle trailer ?
oreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:29 PM   #49

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreo View Post
Is that
high lift axle trailer ?
Yes it is - I have 9" of clearance and need every bit of it to go over a hump backing into my driveway.
Attached Thumbnails
Driveway 1.jpg