Towing Escape 21 with Nissan Armada - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2020, 04:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 19’
Towing Escape 21 with Nissan Armada

Anyone else’? We tow our 2019 Escape with a 2018 Nissan Armada SL. We think it works great. Plenty of power and great handling. We use the E2 FastWay WD w sway control. Makes the unit ride smooth and very stable. Gas mileage is not great probably average 12 mpg with high around 14 and low 9, mostly depending on wind driving 60-65+. Lots of room for two and our lab. We load the vehicle fairly full and heavy keeping most weight in front of the rear axle. We live to move around, camp and explore on lots of gravel side roads. The Armada is great off road too, but we take it slow and avoid really bad roads and trails. Not towing we get 19 or better on highway at 65-70 mph. Purchased our 21 one year ago and love it. Got the Frameless Thermal windows extra insulation, power awning and standard dinette (not u-shaped. Purchased our 21 one year ago and put on over 13000 miles without any problems except for the sail switch lint once. The Armada has performed as well as hoped. I would highly recommend this as a great match for the 21. The indoor storage is large and beats a pickup topper IMO. WE also have Thule topper from past travels, don’t need it but with that we take an inflatable boat and gas motor (Scout 365 and YAMAHA 4 hp) on our fishing trips like to northern Sask and locally.
Love to hear from others on the Armada and E21. Glad to answer questions and give polite suggestions. Good travels to all.
Ksambor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 08:37 AM   #2

Trailer: 2020 21NE
Hitch drop?

I have a 2020 Armada SL for my TV, and an Escape 21' NE shipping to me in a couple of weeks. As I'm getting ready to pick it up from the shipping destination, I'm working on my hitch. Did you put in a hitch drop? I do want to get a WDH, but wondering if it needs a shank with drop?

Thanks
HANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 08:51 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by HANK View Post
I have a 2020 Armada SL for my TV, and an Escape 21' NE shipping to me in a couple of weeks. As I'm getting ready to pick it up from the shipping destination, I'm working on my hitch. Did you put in a hitch drop? I do want to get a WDH, but wondering if it needs a shank with drop?

Thanks
Hello Hank
I think you will find that many of the weight distribution hitches are set up with an adjustable
“Tower” which allows an adjustment height of several inches. Both of the hitches we’ve had were adjustable for both height and (probably not a word) verticality. Couple breaker bars and sockets or flat box end wrenches or an impact wrench and 20 minutes and you’ll be good to go. Don’t forget you can turn the tower over for additional choices.
Good luck in your travels and GO BUCKS!
Iowa Dave
Old 01-20-2021, 09:23 AM   #4

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I second that many, but not all, WDH have vertical adjustability. I have an older Equalizer similar to the E2 and it does, so likely the E2 does also. Most of the E2 pictures show that adjustability. Just for Dave, GO PACK GO!
Old 01-20-2021, 10:06 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
I second that many, but not all, WDH have vertical adjustability. I have an older Equalizer similar to the E2 and it does, so likely the E2 does also. Most of the E2 pictures show that adjustability. Just for Dave, GO PACK GO!
Hi Randy
I knew better than to say “all” hitches were adjustable. On our 2010 the previous owner meticulously adjusted the ETI “Pro Tow” for me before we got in the road. And we did the same on the Anderson which came with the 21. So I have experience with those two, and I know some EZ2’s are also
adjustable. I have come to believe through considerable towing experience that adjustment of the WDH, proper tire pressures, and judicious setting of the brake controller work in concert for a safe, enjoyable towing experience.

My last director when I worked for the city was from Fond-du-Lac. She was a big Packers Fan. I had a fellow who was a retired Federal Meat Inspector who worked as a seasonal employee for many years. He had 4 season tickets on the 35 for many years. Also a standing hotel reservation in Green Bay. He told me once that he worked all summer to pay for his football season and the cost was well worth it. I saw A. J. Hawk play several games as a Buckeye but not as a Packer.

My son and youngest daughter are both Ohio State grads as is my son in law, hence the support for the Buckeyes.
Have a great day.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-20-2021, 12:18 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hello Hank
I think you will find that many of the weight distribution hitches are set up with an adjustable
“Tower” which allows an adjustment height of several inches. Both of the hitches we’ve had were adjustable for both height and (probably not a word) verticality. Couple breaker bars and sockets or flat box end wrenches or an impact wrench and 20 minutes and you’ll be good to go. Don’t forget you can turn the tower over for additional choices.
Good luck in your travels and GO BUCKS!
Iowa Dave

Thank you for the help. My math is saying about a 7" drop. The top of my hitch receiver is 23.75". And per Escape, the top of the ball is 19", so after taking out the height of the ball, I'm coming up with 16.5" to the bottom of the coupler. 23.75" - 16.5" = 7.25" is my drop, I think. Unless I'm missing something...? I'm picking up in Indianapolis, roughly 2 hrs from Columbus (Go Bucks!). So I'd like to be ready with my hitch. If it's not perfect, I'll be ok, flat drive and all. But, I'd like to get it right if I can.
HANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by HANK View Post
My math is saying about a 7" drop. The top of my hitch receiver is 23.75". And per Escape, the top of the ball is 19", so after taking out the height of the ball, I'm coming up with 16.5" to the bottom of the coupler. 23.75" - 16.5" = 7.25" is my drop, I think. Unless I'm missing something...?
That's all good, but unless it has air suspension the Armada will drop a bit under the load of the trailer, reducing the amount of drop needed in the ball mount. Even with a weight-distributing hitch, if it is properly adjusted, the rear of a vehicle without self-leveling suspension will sit a bit lower with the trailer hitched, and passenger and cargo weight in the vehicle will lower it further. Stand on the rear bumper, bounce up and down a bit to settle the suspension, see how much your weight lowers the hitch to get an idea of how much difference this will make.

Also, if you ordered the lift kit the trailer will sit 2.625" higher than normal.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 07:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksambor View Post
Anyone else’? We tow our 2019 Escape with a 2018 Nissan Armada SL. We think it works great. Plenty of power and great handling. We use the E2 FastWay WD w sway control. Makes the unit ride smooth and very stable. Gas mileage is not great probably average 12 mpg with high around 14 and low 9, mostly depending on wind driving 60-65+. Lots of room for two and our lab. We load the vehicle fairly full and heavy keeping most weight in front of the rear axle. We live to move around, camp and explore on lots of gravel side roads. The Armada is great off road too, but we take it slow and avoid really bad roads and trails. Not towing we get 19 or better on highway at 65-70 mph. Purchased our 21 one year ago and love it. Got the Frameless Thermal windows extra insulation, power awning and standard dinette (not u-shaped. Purchased our 21 one year ago and put on over 13000 miles without any problems except for the sail switch lint once. The Armada has performed as well as hoped. I would highly recommend this as a great match for the 21. The indoor storage is large and beats a pickup topper IMO. WE also have Thule topper from past travels, don’t need it but with that we take an inflatable boat and gas motor (Scout 365 and YAMAHA 4 hp) on our fishing trips like to northern Sask and locally.

Love to hear from others on the Armada and E21. Glad to answer questions and give polite suggestions. Good travels to all.
An old thread, I know, but I picked up a used low mileage Armada in September. It took me a couple trips to get the equalizer WDH dialed in, but once configured, it towed our 21c beautifully.
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 12:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 21' Escape Trailer (June 2018)
I have had a similar experience with a Toyota Sequoia 5.7 V8 and a 21' Escape.
Bob in Bend is offline   Reply With Quote