Towing escape 5.0 with Toyota tundra - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2015, 02:44 PM   #41

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
here's another option, no idea how practical it is though.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:17 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhead View Post
A question for those with a 5.0TA and short bed pickup tow vehicle -- is anyone using a standard fifth wheel with slider option? Or not using a slider and wish they had a slider? I am still undecided between a standard fifth wheel hitch (with or without slider) and the Andersen Ultimate, I have read the comments here and all I can say is that I now feel strongly both ways between the Andersen and standard fifth wheel hitch. Thanks for your help.
Hi: oilhead... We tow the 5.0TA now and had a 5.0 previously. We've towed both with a Husky EZRoller slider and have never slid it. The Nissan Frontier longbed is only 6' 1" but we have managed almost all turns without sliding the hitch. The 5.0 pin box was shorter and I did mark the truck cab with it. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
It'll buff out.jpg   P1020904.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:27 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I don't buy the sales pitch for the Sidewinder that the weight is still over the axle, and the pivot point is 22" back. This definitely shifts the center of force back, and the Sidewinder is now acting as a lever, with the load pushing down behind the axle, and as a resultant, weight will be removed from the front wheels.

It does look handy, but the loading effect would be no different than with the sliding mount.

I would think a hitch that slides the weight back only for when needed, mostly parking the trailer.

Am I missing something?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:53 PM   #44
xyz

Trailer: nunya
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: oilhead... We tow the 5.0TA now and had a 5.0 previously. We've towed both with a Husky EZRoller slider and have never slid it. The Nissan Frontier longbed is only 6' 1" but we have managed almost all turns without sliding the hitch. The 5.0 pin box was shorter and I did mark the truck cab with it. Alf
Thanks for posting those photos! You chimed in on the thread I created o Club Frontier when I was shopping for my truck. I knew my Frontier had the rails on the floor of the bed, but I didn't realize those could be used for a gooseneck hitch. Very cool!

I wish I liked the 5.0TA more, but we're getting a 19, and the Fronty is definitely ready to pull something!
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:55 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridaynext View Post
Thanks for posting those photos! You chimed in on the thread I created o Club Frontier when I was shopping for my truck. I knew my Frontier had the rails on the floor of the bed, but I didn't realize those could be used for a gooseneck hitch. Very cool!

I wish I liked the 5.0TA more, but we're getting a 19, and the Fronty is definitely ready to pull something!
Hi: fridaynext... I don't think the tiedown rails would be strong enough for a gooseneck hitch. I haven't even used the tie downs for their intended use.
You are right about the Fronty being ready to tow though!!!
BTW welcome to the escape forum. Alf
Old 08-25-2015, 04:57 PM   #46
xyz

Trailer: nunya
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: fridaynext... I don't think the tiedown rails would be strong enough for a gooseneck hitch. I haven't even used the tie downs for their intended use.
You are right about the Fronty being ready to tow though!!!
BTW welcome to the escape forum. Alf
Oh - I saw your photo wrong. I thought you were using the Utili track system to mount it, which I read was only good for about 200lb of weight, but I can now see the bolts going through the end of the mounting brackets. Did you drill holes through the truck yourself?
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:25 PM   #47

Hi: fridaynext... No I had a local RV shop R&R the hitch from a GMC short box to the Frontier. He used all the same frame brackets and box rails. Here's a pic of one of the frame rail brackets under the truck box. Alf
Attached Thumbnails
P1040200.jpg  
Old 08-25-2015, 06:26 PM   #48

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
I picked up my 5.0 last week and 'love' my Anderson hitch. I did a lot of research and wanted: light hitch, easily detached, ability to have the bed of my truck totally flat when not using the hitch. I have a Toyota Tundra 1794 edition which has a short bed. Here is what I got and love it:Aluminum Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:10 AM   #49

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I don't buy the sales pitch for the Sidewinder that the weight is still over the axle, and the pivot point is 22" back. This definitely shifts the center of force back, and the Sidewinder is now acting as a lever, with the load pushing down behind the axle, and as a resultant, weight will be removed from the front wheels.
I disagree. The horizontal axis of rotation between the trailer and truck is still the head of the fifth-wheel hitch, so the vertical load is still carried there. If you look at the system two-dimensionally in side view, it is no different from any other pin box, except that it's long (which will slightly reduce the pin weight, increasing the trailer axle load an equal amount). The front axle won't be pried up.

Only the vertical axis of rotation between the trailer and truck is relocated rearward, by locking out rotation at the pin with a wedge into the opening in the hitch plate, and including a hinge point in the Sidewinder. If you look at the system in two-dimensions in plan view, it just looks like a fifth-wheel with the pin back under the trailer. This means the rotation point is moved back and clearance to the cab will be better... but lateral force on the truck by the trailer in turns is moved back as well, which is a bad idea for stability just as it would be if a conventional trailer had a shortened tongue and the ball was on an extended ball mount.

The combination of putting lateral load further back on the truck while leaving the vertical load (which provides traction) where the hitch is located is just about the worst thing anyone could design for stability.

I would not want use the Sidewinder, especially with a short trailer, due to the stability issue; it is counting on the fifth-wheel trailer rig being very stable before this stuff messes with it.

Sidewinder components at Reese
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:17 AM   #50

Trailer: 5.0TA
MacMan, Is your Tundra the CrewMax version or the Double Cab? As I understand it the Andersen Ultimate hitch has two pivot points, one at the trailer hitch pin and one at the 2-5/16 hitch ball - how does that work when backing? Wouldn't the pressure on the hitch allow the connector between these two pivot points to swap ends?
oilhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:19 AM   #51

My Tundra 1794 is a CrewMax. The Anderson Ultimate hitch,theoretically, has two pivot points but not in practicality. The only one that rotates when turning is the one connecting the trailer to the Anderson hitch. The other one (connecting the hitch to the truck) is, in essence, fixed as it never rotates. Actually, Reece was the one who put me on to this one when he visited the Bluebonnet rally in Bandera a few months ago. He had a demo with him. I liked it, went home and studied it, and decided to get it. Dennis at Escape who installed it for me said that mine was the first one he installed...but he liked it. Hitching is just like hooking up a trailer: you have to align the ball and hitch, then lower the 5th wheel onto the ball. Actually, quite simple.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:45 PM   #52

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The original Andersen Ulitmate 5th Wheel Solution is unique among commercially produced systems because the ball is at about the height of a fifth-wheel hitch head. I see that they now offer extended coupler tubes so the coupler can be used with a ball mounted down at bed floor level - there are many brands of hardware to do the same thing.

I notice that they also offer safety chains, which is relevant to earlier discussions: yes, safety chains are required with any ball hitch in many areas (provinces and states). I wouldn't use their mounting system, since it seems to me that in the unlikely case that the coupler fails to stay attached to the king pin the safety chains won't help, because they're attached to the same hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhead View Post
As I understand it the Andersen Ultimate hitch has two pivot points, one at the trailer hitch pin and one at the 2-5/16 hitch ball - how does that work when backing? Wouldn't the pressure on the hitch allow the connector between these two pivot points to swap ends?
No, and no...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
The Anderson Ultimate hitch,theoretically, has two pivot points but not in practicality. The only one that rotates when turning is the one connecting the trailer to the Anderson hitch. The other one (connecting the hitch to the truck) is, in essence, fixed as it never rotates.
I'm not sure that was clear - try this:
The coupler which is part of this system is clamped rigidly onto the trailer's pin, so there is no movement between them; it converts the pin box to a coupler-equipped tongue and the pin is no longer relevant to how the hitch works. The only pivot point is the 2-5/16" hitch ball, so there's no problem pushing or moving in any direction.

Quote:
Actually, Reece was the one who put me on to this one when he visited the Bluebonnet rally in Bandera a few months ago. He had a demo with him. I liked it, went home and studied it, and decided to get it. Dennis at Escape who installed it for me said that mine was the first one he installed...but he liked it.
The Andersen Ultimate has been discussed in this forum as early as April 2014 (in 5th wheel hitch) and perhaps earlier. Perhaps that's how Reace heard about it?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:38 PM   #53
T&R

Trailer: "Olaf" 2015 21'..... 2015 Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by T&R View Post
MacMan, I'm thinking you have the 5.7 which is rated 13/17 so I feel 15 on the road towing is not bad at all! I'm picking up my 21 in four weeks and will report my mileage for comparison.

Trenton
Fuel mileage report:

2015 Tundra CrewMax 4wd 5.7 w/tow package & 4.30 axle.

Between two trips we've towed our 21 about 1,500 miles so far and have averaged 12 mpg (calculating by hand). Sometimes we got 11.8 & other times 12.2. On-board computer says I was getting 13.4. So MacMan if you're basing your 15 mpg on the computer I'll bet in reality you're not getting that. But I'm in the Pacific Northwest where everywhere is up and/or down and I don't exactly take it easy going up the mountains.

The "miles to empty" indicator is just as inaccurate as the fuel mileage. When it says I have zero miles remaining I fill up and it takes just under 20 gallons (towing or not). Gas tank is 26.4 gallons. One tank on the last trip I went about 40 miles after reaching zero miles and it took 22 gallons. I understand they're typically a little conservative but 25% is ridiculous.

Otherwise the truck does great and is definitely more than I need. But I knew that from the beginning which is why I bought it as I'd rather have too much truck than "just enough".
T&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:04 PM   #54

T&R, sounds like you are satisfied....despite the mileage issue. Yes, I based my mileage on the Tundra's automatic calculation it gave me. That's good enough for me as I'm not too anal about that kind of stuff: it is what it is.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:26 AM   #55

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Digging up an old thread here, but I have an important related question that was touched upon here.

Just purchased a ESCAPE 5.0 (first gen single axle) with the axle rise option.

Anyone here pulling it with a second gen tundra (2007 and later) with 4wd?

I am looking to buy a 2017 Toyota Tundra SR Double Cab 5.7 V8, 4wd. I am not concerned about the power, there is plenty of it.

Does the vehicle in question clear the fifth wheel height OK? That is, the bed rail height.

Thank you for your help!
TwoPlusLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:18 PM   #56

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA Tundra 1794 2017
MacMan, oilhead and any other Tundra short bed drivers with the 5.0TA..... Are you happy with the Anderson set up? Any regrets? Any times on backing up or otherwise where you almost hit the cab or rails? I have a 2017 Tundra 1794 and will be picking up 2018 5.0TA....I am liking the Anderson set up.... what say you after a few years of experience? Thank you.

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time" JT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TlAD-b7yew
Honair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:03 PM   #57

Honair, yes, I am very happy with the Anderson hitch. And, knock on wood, have not yet either backed into the hitch or pulled away with the tailgate still up. That has been a fear (nightmare) of mine but to date I've not made that stupid mistake.
My wife is super with her hand signals: she never says a word when I am backing up to hitch-up or pull away.
If I had to do it all over again - I would do it just the same. I love it. I can't tell you how many people in the RV parks that have come along and thought it was pretty slick. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:06 PM   #58

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA Tundra 1794 2017
Quote:
Honair, yes, I am very happy with the Anderson hitch. And, knock on wood, have not yet either backed into the hitch or pulled away with the tailgate still up. That has been a fear (nightmare) of mine but to date I've not made that stupid mistake.
My wife is super with her hand signals: she never says a word when I am backing up to hitch-up or pull away.
If I had to do it all over again - I would do it just the same. I love it. I can't tell you how many people in the RV parks that have come along and thought it was pretty slick. Let me know if you have any other questions.
You drive with the tail gate down? Seemingly I do not yet understand the process.

Separately, which Anderson do you have and how is attached to the bed of the truck. Rails or bed level gooseneck ball? I saw 5.0TA two weeks ago with a Tacoma.... and the Anderson was just on rails.... no goose neck ball at all.

Trademasters has recommended a B and W gooseneck under bed ball.... and the Anderson 3220.

Thank you for your time and information.

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time" JT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TlAD-b7yew
Honair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:26 PM   #59

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honair View Post
You drive with the tail gate down? Seemingly I do not yet understand the process.
He is referring to when hitching up or parking. The tailgate has to be open when backing in off pulling away from the pin.

I have had the same worry myself.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:51 PM   #60

I have the Anderson 3220 (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Andersen-...&wl13=&veh=sem). Yes, I have the gooseneck ball.
Obviously I don't drive with the tailgate down. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. Sorry about that.