Towing experience with the new 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2014, 01:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Towing experience with the new 21

Hello all, just reporting back as promised.

We just finished our 2014 adventure. We drove from Seattle to San Simeon State Park (4 hours south of Frisco) then up the coast to the redwoods, over to Crater Lake and up to Sisters. We then went back to the coast at Tillamook, over to Mt. Rainier, over to Sequim, and back home to Auburn Washington. In all we traveled 3838.9 miles, used 265.16 gallons of gas at an average of $4.27 per gal (the highest being in California) for a total cost of $1,138.04 and 14.5 mpg. We towed at sea level on up to 7,000 feet. The Ridgline did fine climbing the hills and controlling our descents. If the grade was 6% or less, the engine took care of speed control, while 7% and above required assistance from the brakes. We maintained 55 to 60 most all the way, flat or climbing, if it wasn't too curvy. The engine had to rev up to 5,000 rpm at times on the steeper slopes, but engine temp didn't budge and red line is around 6,500. I didn't feel bad about that at all.

I stopped at multiple weigh stations along the way because of my weight concerns and came up with some interesting numbers. The Ridgeline was almost maxed out in the following categories; rear axle 3245 lbs(GAWR-R), truck 6050 lbs (GVWR), combined 10085 lbs(GCWR), and tongue weight 500 lbs. The Escape 21 was also near its max (GVWR) at 4250 lbs. The trailer GVWR/Tongue weight was 9.39%. I know it’s a little lower than suggested. I don’t know if the Anderson had anything to do with it, but the towing experience was smooth and controlled.

We had a great experience and look forward to many more in the future.

Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Sounds like you have been having way too much fun!
Old 07-24-2014, 05:29 PM   #3

Is there such a thing as having too much fun?
Old 07-24-2014, 05:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Thanks for the update, Tom. I'm glad to hear your Ridgeline can handle the Escape 21. It bodes well for those of us with 21s on order who have vehicles of similar build, power, and towing capacity.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Tom, it sounds like you had a great shake-out trip. Did you run through the CHP trucker's scales to get weighed? How did you calculate tongue weight rolling across a scale? BTW, we really like San Simeon State Park in the remote camping section on top.

Steve
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:11 PM   #6

Steve,
I ran across scales beside country roads in agricultural areas of California and Oregon. They're not manned, but their equipment is left on. I passed by one multiple times. I crossed it with and without a full tank of gas to feel somewhat confident about it's numbers, or at least the change it provided, and then I crossed it with the trailer, I crossed a few more scales to verify the numbers I received from the first, and my cousin did the same with his rig. In fact I crossed so many scales I think it became the joke of the trip. Just have to laugh!! Hopefully they were laughing with, and not at me.
Tom
Old 07-24-2014, 07:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Tom, I found a website for all private scales in California. The one I use in town where I live is on the list. This will be handy while traveling. Is your scale on the list?

CDFA - DMS - Public Scales Listing

Steve
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:01 PM   #8

Sorry Steve, I went over so many and saw many more that I can't remember where they all were. That's quite a website. It will come in handy for all the California folks.
Thanks
Tom
Old 09-01-2014, 02:05 AM   #9

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SOLD , 2008 Airstream 19'
Steve,
I clicked on about 10 counties and all showed no mapable locations. Maybe the site is disabled?
Russ

I used a private moving van company scale in San Marcos to weigh mine.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote