Towing in the Frontier - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2019, 08:57 AM   #61

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Paul,
Both of our Highlanders have been AWD XLE models. The Weight Distributing Hitch, properly mounted and consistently adjusted before heading out is an important part of any towing in my opinion. We experienced heavy rain and very wet ground at Ontario Bolerama this year. The Highlander locked in AWD and with steady pressure on the throttle backed the 21 about 150 feet through standing water in grass that had snagged a couple other vehicles in the CG. I will say my daughter’s Nissan Pathfinder did an excellent job also. The main components are good tires, the ability to sustain backing up without stopping and a steady pressure on the foot feed. I’ve not seen too many Sequoias like yours pulling trailers but know them to be very competent also. I’m pretty sure they would drag the Highlander down the street backwards Iif chained together. ( we used to do that in our younger days). Then fix things for the rest of the week. ( can you spell pressure plate)? See you in about a month.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-25-2019, 09:08 AM   #62

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybee View Post
Good topic..we are awaiting our new E-21, and have already sold our 17'Casita Independence. Camperless is killing us, but we are also awaiting a new grandchild next week and so we're gonna be staying home this fall anyways..so here goes: We towed our Casita for two seasons, easily, with our 2017 Frontier Dbl Cab, long-bed 2wd V6 truck. WE bought the long bed for the extra 14" of wheelbase and longer bed..our is covered w a bak-Flip for security. AS I said..the Fronty was decent at hauling the 17' Casita, and during that time we ran into several E21 campers who were towing with various rigs..Ford F150s, Tundras, Frontiers AND EVEN A TOYOTA HIGHLANDER. Nobody we talked to complained about their tow vehicles. I guess we're going to just try the Fronty..we hate to part with it bks we got a real deal on it from a friend [who is a Nissan Dlr!] and it hauls a buncha stuff in that long bed, and still has room for 2-3 in the rear seat. My ?? is..are we going to be OK with the V6 Frontier or will it be overwhelmed with a 21'?
Hi: Hollybee... Here's a few pic's of our 2010 Fronty pulling our 5.0TA. The little engine that could, and did, for 8 years. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040198.jpg   P1030713.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:24 AM   #63

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I test drove a Highlander awhile back and recently took a new Hyundai Palisade for a test drive, both are really nice vehicles.That is the problem with retirement, you have time to take test drives during the afternoon sales lull.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #64

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
FWIW. Friend of ours recently came to a halt on the Coquihalla. Ram had blown water pump. Tow truck driver hooked up the Ram and gave them a ride. Driver ( who occasionally appears in Highway to Hell ) named the two broken down vehicles that he encounters most often in his job.
Hyundai and Kia.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:52 PM   #65

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Interesting, but with a 10 year warranty it may be my last hurrah.....
Old 08-25-2019, 01:58 PM   #66

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Might as well go out with a bang.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-25-2019, 10:57 PM   #67

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Hollybee... Here's a few pic's of our 2010 Fronty pulling our 5.0TA. The little engine that could, and did, for 8 years. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Thanks for the pix and reply. Annd that sure looks like a long bed model..like we have. We really like the extra room in back and longer wheelbase
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:03 AM   #68

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We pull our 2015 21' with a 2010 Nissan Frontier 2 wheel drive. Average 13-14 mpg, no issues so far, but haven't tried the Rockies yet as we just got the Escape this spring. Seems to handle fairly steep hills in the Ozarks just fine, has a 6300 tow rating and we travel loaded at about 4300 with our bikes on the back. We may go to a full size truck for comfort on long trips and larger payload when this one wears out, but so far so good. Do watch payload and hitch weight no matter what you decide!
Treblemaker is offline   Reply With Quote