Towing Mirrors for Tundra pulling 21'? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2019, 11:22 PM   #1

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
Towing Mirrors for Tundra pulling 21'?

Do the stock mirrors on Tundra work OK pulling the 21' (7'4")? The mirrors on Tundra 07-17 the same. Didn't have to use towing mirrors pulling Casita (6'8") since it was the same width as Tundra (2007). Thinking of purchasing the K-Source Snap on Towing Mirrors. thanks
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboscott View Post
Do the stock mirrors on Tundra work OK pulling the 21' (7'4")? The mirrors on Tundra 07-17 the same. Didn't have to use towing mirrors pulling Casita (6'8") since it was the same width as Tundra (2007). Thinking of purchasing the K-Source Snap on Towing Mirrors. thanks
I have a 2017 Platinum Crew Max. I tow a 5.0 which is the same width as the 21’ @ 7’ 4”. I found the stock mirrors were ok but did not allow me to really see cars behind me at a distance. So I bought the K Source KS81300 Snap on mirrors. I was impressed with how they fit on the stock mirrors. Very clean and easy. But they vibrate under way so the image is not clear. I plan on trying to wedge in some pieces of pipe insulation foam on my trip to Osoyoos to see if that helps. Otherwise I like the mirrors.

If I didn’t have a Platinum, I would replace the stock mirrors with the A1 Tow Mirrors. The Tundra Forums say they don’t replicate all the functions of the Platinum stock mirrors. Folks with other trim lines are happy with them. https://www.1aauto.com/2007-19-toyot...=325862&y=2017
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:17 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 - "Here We Go Again"
I may still have a set that I used on a 2008 Tundra. They weren't a snap on type, but fit over the originals so that they didn't appear to be add ons (if that makes sense). I don't recall the brand name - sorry. We're traveling for the next few days, so I can't check to see if I still have them, but I'll check when we get back. If I have them, you are more than welcome to them (free!!!). PM me and I'll send them to you.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:14 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I have used the Milenco on my two Sequoias. They have worked fine but I found them a pain to take on and off. They were also prone to getting knocked off with their long extension. They did not come off while driving but a pedestrian could brush against them. Vibration was present but minimal. I think any attachable mirror will have "issues".

Of late I have stopped using them. The stock mirrors give me good coverage on the lanes - either side. They are hard to see someone directly behind. Something I would consider would be a backup camera that allowed a rear view while driving. Just a thought.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:27 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 - "Here We Go Again"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwvwadc View Post
I may still have a set that I used on a 2008 Tundra. They weren't a snap on type, but fit over the originals so that they didn't appear to be add ons (if that makes sense). I don't recall the brand name - sorry. We're traveling for the next few days, so I can't check to see if I still have them, but I'll check when we get back. If I have them, you are more than welcome to them (free!!!). PM me and I'll send them to you.
These are what I'm talking about. (Like I said earlier, I need to see if I still have them).
Attached Thumbnails
E70C44E9-9331-4DF7-92BB-0FA72004CD58.jpeg  
Old 05-16-2019, 12:39 PM   #6
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
If you are looking to buy some tow mirrors, I use and highly recommend the Dometic DM-2912 Milenco Grand Aero3 Towing Mirrors. They are quick and easy to attach and detach, and have very little, if any vibration on the road and fit most vehicles.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dometic-D...-Pack/54409438
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
We also only have the Stock mirrors and they work OK as others have said.

Have thought to replace them with ones from etrailer/k-source
https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Towi...ID=20144032860

But have opted to install a backup camera for now
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
I got the K Source a few weeks after ordering the trailer and they've been on the truck ever since. I have a RAM 1500 with the fold in mirrors and with the K Source installed they still fold in. There is a little vibration on the K Source but not enough to bother me.

Update Alert!!! In the interest of tow mirror science I went out and torqued down The K Source tensioning screws. Part of my controlled scientific test was tensioning the driver side a bit more than the passenger side. I then went for a test drive. Sorry I did not record the ambient temperature or barometric pressure (mainly cause I was going for ice cream). The results were that there was NO noticeable difference between the driver factory mirror and the K Source mirror. There was a slight difference on the passenger side but remember this was not tensioned as much as the driver's side. I hope this helps.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Milenco flat mirrors is what I'm happy with. Can't stop minor vibration withou stiffening the mirror housing.
I like that I can adjust vehicle mirrors and towing mirrors independently.
Attached Thumbnails
Milenco .jpg  
Old 05-16-2019, 05:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I have a 2018 Tundra Crewmax, After reviewing some of the after market mirrors decided to order OEM Tundra tow mirrors, it comes with LED side marker signal lights that my stock mirrors doesn't have. It was about the same price as some of the aftermarket mirrors easy to install
phsw98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:36 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by phsw98 View Post
I have a 2018 Tundra Crewmax, After reviewing some of the after market mirrors decided to order OEM Tundra tow mirrors, it comes with LED side marker signal lights that my stock mirrors doesn't have. It was about the same price as some of the aftermarket mirrors easy to install
I looked at those but none of the factory tow mirrors preserve the electric folding feature I have on my stock Platinum mirrors. If I didn't live across Puget Sound from Seattle, it wouldn't be a big deal, but folding mirrors make a huge difference getting on and off the ferry.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:46 PM   #12

Trailer: None
Used McKesh tow mirrors on 4Runner towing hi-lo for many miles. NO VIBRATION. PERFECT VIEW. White strap tends to get dirty especially in rain and I twisted strap to get rid of flap. But would buy again in a heartbeat.
Coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:21 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 1721
I use the stock Tundra mirrors and turn on the truck lights so the Escape installed backup camera is active. The camera allows us to see what is behind us.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:01 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
On our 2004 Tundra with our 19' we used the Milenco Grand Aero3 mirrors and found they worked fine. When we got our new Tundra (2018) and our 21', we opted for the Grand Aero again as we didn't feel the stock mirrors allowed good visibility of the back. Unfortunately, while driving down the freeway one day, the driver's side mirror flew off. We purchased another set and so far, so good. The K Source mirrors do look interesting ...

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:14 AM   #15

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
On our 2004 Tundra with our 19' we used the Milenco Grand Aero3 mirrors and found they worked fine. When we got our new Tundra (2018) and our 21', we opted for the Grand Aero again as we didn't feel the stock mirrors allowed good visibility of the back. Unfortunately, while driving down the freeway one day, the driver's side mirror flew off. We purchased another set and so far, so good. The K Source mirrors do look interesting ...
When I ordered the K Source I wasn't sure I would like them. I haven't taken them off except to tighten the mirror tension screws since I first put them on. After this discussion started, I increased the tension on the mirrors and on my last check the driver's side had no vibration and only a little on the passenger. I tightened the passenger side when I got home but haven't re-tested.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:30 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
1A Chrome Towing Mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
If I didn’t have a Platinum, I would replace the stock mirrors with the A1 Tow Mirrors. The Tundra Forums say they don’t replicate all the functions of the Platinum stock mirrors. Folks with other trim lines are happy with them. https://www.1aauto.com/2007-19-toyot...=325862&y=2017

I have the Limited edition Tundra. I replaced the stock mirrors with the 1A chrome towing mirrors. They are the same size as the Toyota towing mirrors at about 1/2 the price and gave me the side blinkers the stock mirrors didn't have. They fit perfectly and installation was easy. The main disadvantage to these mirrors is the passenger side large mirror is flat, not convex, so it has a smaller field of vision. There is a bottom convex mirror, but that mirror is quite small. The towing mirrors extend about 3 inches, but I found that I didn't gain much additional view behind the trailer, so I don't extend them. Overall I am pleased with the mirrors and combined with the rearview camera they give me good field of vision.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:19 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phsw98 View Post
I also bought the OEM tow mirrors and they are great. Easy to mount too, no vibrations at all either....worth the money.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 06:29 PM   #18

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
I have a set of these "clip on mirrors" from etrailer that work well for my 2002 Tundra. About $65 IIRC.

Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:00 AM   #19

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Stock Mirrors

Replaced the stock mirrors on my 2010 Tundra with the stock towing mirrors direct from the dealer for that year. Worked with all the vehicle lighting and heating systems. Much bigger and better. Looked at all the aftermarket ones but original equipment can’t be beat.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote