Towing Setup for Rav 4 and 17B - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 17B
Towing Setup for Rav 4 and 17B

Hi All,
We have a 17B on order and own a 2011 Rav 4 V6 with the so-called "tow prep package'(hitch not included)and looks like some of you tow comfortably with the combo and have great information to share.I did take 1st step and install a Class 3 Draw-Tite hitch.A WDH will bring it to 4000 lb towing capacity and 400 lb tongue wgt.
Any recomendations on type,brand or install of:
WDH_brake controllers_mirror extensions_backup camera_airbag suspension?.
We are also considering traveling from Vermont to Chilliwack to pick the trailer up but that'll have wait for another forum topic.
Great Forum! Appreciate any input.
JudyVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Re: Towing Setup for Rav 4 and 17B

While the hitch is rated at 400 lbs, the use of a WDH does not increase either tongue weight or towing weight capacity. You are still limited to 350/3500 lbs.

That said, I've been happy with the combination, although it does take some planning on where you are going to put what to keep the tongue weight under 350 lbs if you have the same options I have - Dual Propane, Front Storage Box & Electric jack. Loaded for a 5 month trip my Escape 17B weighs 3020 lbs without the stuff in the refrigerator (a sad story you can read about on my Web Page) and a tongue weight of 340 lbs.

I installed a Prodigy P3 controller along with a Rear View Safety camera system for both the trailer & the RAV4. I don't have or need air bags - the weight distribution hitch as set up by Reace keeps the rear of the RAV4 within an inch of the unloaded height.

Just a note - here in the US the tow package does not include the wiring for the trailer lights. Toyota sells a "kit" that consists of a 4 way trailer connector, the wiring to run to the front of the vehicle with a connector that matches a receptacle under the steering column. If you can get someone to run a charge line, brake line, and the lighting connector kit for you at any reasonable price, it is worth it. You need to remove & replace all the driver's side paneling, crawl under the dash & hunt for the receptacle, install fused wiring for the charge line & controller, etc.

I did it myself (and ran the video cable for the rear view monitor at the same time) and it is a good day's work.

A web page that I found helpful for installing the controller & charge line as well as a link to Toyota's trailer lighting wiring instructions is here.

As to driving out to pick it up, that's a great idea. I did it last April & continued on for a 18,700 mile trip.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

ditto on what he said.

baglo
Old 04-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #4

Thanks for info. Vermilye and gbaglo . Sure we'll have more questions to follow and really appreciate the input.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #5

Jon may have the skills to wire for the trailer, but I don't. I had mine done as part of having the Class 3 hitch installed at the Toyota dealership. They brought in an independent technician who installed a Class 3 and wired my Prodigy brake controller, with a heavy duty ground.

When I had this done, the Toyota hitch was a class 2, which wouldn't work for the equalizer. The guy they brought in charged $600 for the class 3 and wiring. The "factory" installation would have been over $900 for a class 2 and extra for the brake controller.

You can also check U-Haul where my buddy had his hitch installed. He paid about the same, but he did have to go back to have a wiring problem addressed.

I don't have any rear view camera, but with the tire hanging on the back of the RAV, I might go for it next time. Not so much for hooking up the trailer, but for parallel parking.

baglo

Old 08-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #6

Just wondering what hitch ball mount riser height you guys are using for the Rav 4 and 17b.Our class 3 hitch is 11.5 in. from ground level to center of receiver.Not sure of 17b hitch height -maybe 22 .in.? Our 17b(now in production!) will have high-lift,dual prop.tanks and storage box. Thanks again, Mark
Old 08-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b

We had our electric break box set up by Cap-It.
They're just around the corner from Escape.
Fast, courteous service and no appointment seemed necessary!
Tammy arranged it when she saw we hadn't arranged it ourselves.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyVT
Just wondering what hitch ball mount riser height you guys are using for the Rav 4 and 17b.Our class 3 hitch is 11.5 in. from ground level to center of receiver.Not sure of 17b hitch height -maybe 22 .in.? Our 17b(now in production!) will have high-lift,dual prop.tanks and storage box. Thanks again, Mark
If you are picking it up at the factory, Reace will adjust the WDH. I have the 17B with high lift. There is nothing in play other than the adjustments available on the WDH itself. I presume everything depends on which brand WDH you are using / buying.

baglo
Old 08-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #9

We are purchasing the WDH from Escape and they will install when we pick up the trailer.Guess I did'nt realize the hitch ball mount is integral part of the WDH itself. Thanks again! Mark