Towing speeds? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2020, 10:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Towing speeds?

Hello everyone, Matt from Palacios, TX. I curious how fast different folks drive while on the interstate, and also on two lane smaller highways. I understand different driving conditions and terrain, but on a clear day. We're in the waiting room for a 5.0 this coming March.
Steveanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:29 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
A couple times I've found myself in the fast lane doing 120 kph ( 75 mph ) towing my 17B with my RAV4. Realized how stupid that was and pulled into the centre lane as soon as I could, settling down around 105 kph.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:50 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
I have found that Texas and Georgia are the two fastest driving states, even though some other states may have just as fast or faster interstate speed limits. Going the speed limit can cause dangerous backups behind you.

Several states, notably California, have low trailer-towing speeds, 55mph as I recall. You pretty much have to ignore those low speeds or you're a danger.

We love traveling non-interstate U.S. highways. Many are divided highway four-lanes that are nearly empty, especially of trucks, and provide a relaxed way to travel, with actual scenery, and we realized on our first trip with the trailer that we don't need a rest area. It's right behind us. With the truck we drive, the perfect speed seems to be 62 mph. We could easily go 80mph all day, but we're retired.

Try doing the math sometime on going 10mph faster. What'll it save you, an hour?
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
I generally drive the speed limit on two lane highways - the 5.0TA tows so smoothly that it feels safe driving pretty much normally most of the time. Out west where the interstates have really high speed limits I try to stick to 70 or so....a few times on long driving days in the land of 85mph speed limits I've cruised at 75 and had no problem.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:39 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I also drive the limit on back roads or two lane highways. If not, road rage may result. And like a previous poster, my chosen speed on interstate highways is 62 mph, unless I am needing to pass a driver going under 62 mph (except in California).
Old 09-10-2020, 07:08 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
A couple times I've found myself in the fast lane doing 120 kph ( 75 mph ) towing my 17B with my RAV4. Realized how stupid that was and pulled into the centre lane as soon as I could, settling down around 105 kph.
I found myself doing this too. Maybe a little faster. I just did not realize it and I slowed down once I could get into the slower lane on I-94 coming into Coeur d'Alene.

The 5.0 never even wobbled or flinched once. It was nice and tight to the truck so much that I had to remind myself I was towing it. I am very used to towing a flat bed trailer. But a fifth wheel was new to me. It pulls like a dream.

One of the biggest considerations for determining speed for me is the vertical displacement that high speeds exaggerate. You can get some pretty good bouncing on crappy highways and increasing the speed increases the vertical displacement. Which I hate.

If the 5.0 bounces up, it pulls the truck up too. Just a little, but nobody likes that. The trailer will take almost whatever speed you throw at it, but packing correctly and weight distribution take on additional meaning here. Not to mention payload capacity, which I am already fighting.

A number of people have reported having a tire issue and not even knowing it until the tire was shredded. So lower speeds are better IMHO for a lot of reasons.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:50 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
I typically drive 60-62mph on non interstate and 65 on Interstates. Like others, in limited cases I’ve found myself driving faster just to keep up with the traffic. Most of the time though I just move to the right with the 18 wheelers and let the others rush by.

We also plan our driving days to less than 300 miles per day so there’s no rush to get somewhere before dark. We like to arrive NLT 3pm to relax and enjoy the campground even if we are only staying overnight.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:50 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Our towing speeds are greatly affected by the weather , if their are sites to view along the way . and If I am in a hurry or have time to spare.
When we drove to Iowa last week , we were anxious to get there , so we drove up around 65 mph and our fuel mileage reflected that .
I find as my age goes up , my speed goes down .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:22 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Our towing speeds are greatly affected by the weather , if their are sites to view along the way . and If I am in a hurry or have time to spare.
When we drove to Iowa last week , we were anxious to get there , so we drove up around 65 mph and our fuel mileage reflected that .
I find as my age goes up , my speed goes down .
62 on the US interstates, and four lane divided highway regardless of a faster upper limit
58 on smooth, straight 2 lane highways where the limit is 55
The limit anywhere else where the conditions permit.

Great Smokey Mountains National Park, backside of Clingmans Dome, 27 degrees and black ice: 10 mph on the curves,(which is most of the time) and sometimes less than 10 mph. Second or third gear, on the six speed transmission, don’t touch the brakes.

Couple of shots and a pop that evening. And the recitation of the last line from the classic cartoon Mickey’s Trailer said by Goofy “Well, I brought you down safe and sound!”
Iowa Dave
Old 09-10-2020, 08:33 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Finger limit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I also drive the limit on back roads or two lane highways. If not, road rage may result. And like a previous poster, my chosen speed on interstate highways is 62 mph, unless I am needing to pass a driver going under 62 mph (except in California).
Hi: C&G in FL... Where we tow it seems the Maximum Speed Limit is taken as more of a suggestion!!! Our EcoDiesel likes to stay right around 2,000 rpm's or less, which puts us in the 65-70 mph range. I don't feel its been a good day towing unless I get the finger at least once!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:42 AM   #11

The wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: C&G in FL... Where we tow it seems the Maximum Speed Limit is taken as more of a suggestion!!! Our EcoDiesel likes to stay right around 2,000 rpm's or less, which puts us in the 65-70 mph range. I don't feel its been a good day towing unless I get the finger at least once!!! Alf
When I get the one finger wave I usually say out loud “well another sexual intellectual” or something to that effect. Then a line from my dad “you better know the enemy” and finally a line from the country singer Kenny Price ( known as “the round mound of sound” ) in his recording “Sheriff of Boone County”. “And this cannon on my hip, let me tell you boy, it ain’t no toy”.
‘Cept when I’m in Canada.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-10-2020, 08:55 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Root'n toot'n shoot'n!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
When I get the one finger wave I usually say out loud “well another sexual intellectual” or something to that effect. Then a line from my dad “you better know the enemy” and finally a line from the country singer Kenny Price ( known as “the round mound of sound” ) in his recording “Sheriff of Boone County”. “And this cannon on my hip, let me tell you boy, it ain’t no toy”.
‘Cept when I’m in Canada.
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... I usually give 'em the whole "Bouquet"!!! Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:23 AM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
58-60mph. Most people understand when they see a travel trailer and the slower speeds. However, if I'm on a 2 lane road and getting people backing up behind me, I will pull over when it's safe and let them go. I can't stand it when people are in oblivion and don't care how many people are lined up behind them.
flynfrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:33 AM   #14

Pull over

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynfrfun View Post
58-60mph. Most people understand when they see a travel trailer and the slower speeds. However, if I'm on a 2 lane road and getting people backing up behind me, I will pull over when it's safe and let them go. I can't stand it when people are in oblivion and don't care how many people are lined up behind them.
Years ago my brother worked in either Washington or Oregon on a summer job. I can’t remember which because he later worked in both. However, I remember him telling me that if you had 5 cars behind you, the law was that you had to pull over. I thought about that and even though I was only about 22 years old, I thought it was a pretty good policy. I didn’t hold up many folks back then, I was a “holdee”. Anyway, for the next 50 years, I have always been willing to pull over when it’s safe and let trailing motorists pass. Once in a while the third, fourth or fifth car is law enforcement. I’ve gotten more than a few hat tips from old Smokey when he went on by.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-10-2020, 10:38 AM   #15

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
Many websites, such as the following, state that ST trailer tires are speed rated to 65 MPH unless otherwise marked.

https://www.trailerlife.com/towing/t...ler-tires-101/

I slow down from about 62 to 57 when the air temperature reaches 100.
My tow vehicle seems to like those speeds.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:49 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane View Post
Many websites, such as the following, state that ST trailer tires are speed rated to 65 MPH unless otherwise marked.

https://www.trailerlife.com/towing/t...ler-tires-101/

I slow down from about 62 to 57 when the air temperature reaches 100.
My tow vehicle seems to like those speeds.

Probably time to replace your tires then with modern tires rated at 81 mph.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:00 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape 21 2019
I generally set the cruise at 60-63 on the interstate around Oregon/WA. I get passed by everyone including large trucks and plenty of other trailers, but it has the effect of making the drive much more relaxing for me....I rarely have to change lanes to pass anyone myself. I feel it is fast enough that I'm not a nuisance to others, and I get a lot better gas mileage also.

In AZ people drove a lot faster. I didn't own a large trailer back then but I did tow smaller trailers, usually at 65-70mph. The speed limit is 75 so it's pretty common for traffic to be moving at 75+, even big 5th wheels rolling along at those speeds.
daniel108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:25 AM   #18

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel108 View Post
I generally set the cruise at 60-63 on the interstate around Oregon/WA. I get passed by everyone including large trucks and plenty of other trailers, but it has the effect of making the drive much more relaxing for me....I rarely have to change lanes to pass anyone myself. I feel it is fast enough that I'm not a nuisance to others, and I get a lot better gas mileage also.
I do exactly the same for the same reason. On secondary highways I travel the speed limit and do everything I can to make sure faster drivers get around me if they wish - pull over, leave plenty of room in front of me for those who want to pass, use the shoulder to drive on (legal in many places here in the PNW), etc.

Iowa Dave is right on about holding up traffic in WA & OR - it is illegal to hold up 5 vehicles or more. Of course, coming home from the coast on a Sunday afternoon in the summer, I regularly have 20 vehicles stacked up behind me - and 20 in front of me.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:28 AM   #19

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
...However, I remember him telling me that if you had 5 cars behind you, the law was that you had to pull over. I thought about that and even though I was only about 22 years old, I thought it was a pretty good policy. I didn’t hold up many folks back then, I was a “holdee”. Anyway, for the next 50 years, I have always been willing to pull over when it’s safe and let trailing motorists pass. Once in a while the third, fourth or fifth car is law enforcement. I’ve gotten more than a few hat tips from old Smokey when he went on by.
Iowa Dave
I do believe it is the law, I have seen the signs posted here and there.

For me it is also about timing. If traffic is light and I have a car or two that have been following for a while I’ll let them go. Sometimes waiting for 5 cars to eventually get stacked up, that first guy in the line is fuming.
flynfrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:24 PM   #20

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Probably time to replace your tires then with modern tires rated at 81 mph.
Which tires are rated to 81 MPH?
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote