Towing the new 5.0TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2014, 08:34 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21' sold, current class C, Now looking
Towing the new 5.0TA

Now that some of these are on the road and people have traveled some miles, could some of the owners of the 5.0TA share info and insight on the towing and hitching experience?

Is it easier to hitch and unhitch versus a bumper pull?

Ease and or difficulty backing in?

Pin weight? any concerns and did you make any changes to your tug?

How did you calculate overall payload of your stuff and Pin weight?

Towing, any insight here would help me just be more patient till my winter build date.

Hope you all are enjoying your rigs and we look forward to hearing about your experience

Don, Brenda, and Maceydog
Don W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:58 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W. View Post
Now that some of these are on the road and people have traveled some miles, could some of the owners of the 5.0TA share info and insight on the towing and hitching experience?

Towing, any insight here would help me just be more patient till my winter build date.

Hope you all are enjoying your rigs and we look forward to hearing about your experience

Don, Brenda, and Maceydog
Hi: Don W... I'll take a stab at some if not all of your ??'s.
#1... Much easier to hitch IMHO!!! Wife pushes the up/down buttons, I aim the tug.
#2... Dual axle seems much easier to reverse into my driveway...off the street.
#3... No weights yet, but the truck didn't squat as much as our 5.0 made it. Adjustment to hitch plate only, dropped one bolt hole.
#4... Not done yet. Refer to #3
#5... Towing a 5th. wh. IMHO is far superior to a bumper pull. Weight directly over the rear axle!!! Minimal loss of length due to bed loft over truck. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030713.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:08 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I find hitching/unhitching more difficult than a bumper pull. I have no husband/wife or SO to help with aligning, working switches, leveling, etc. Tugs down the road very well, but so did my 16' Scamp. Backing into site/parking space.... turns VERY quickly. Much quicker than the Scamp. It's not difficult, just different. I don't have any weight info either, but not concerned at all as I don't pack much "stuff," no outdoor grill, propane firepit, dutch ovens or outdoor cooking equipment. I have four overhead cabinets completely empty!

MPG is about the same as towing the Scamp too, so I'm happy!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:26 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Backing up to it is roughly the same, takes nothing to latch it though. No more hand cranking the front jack to get the WDH set, same goes for unhitching. So yes, it's considerably easier.

Just need to get used to the different pivot point, no trouble so far.

No and no. I bought a full size truck with 2200 payload and 8' bed so I wouldn't need to be concerned with such.

Not sure what you are asking for but I have yet to take it to the scales cause I'm not concerned with the weights.

It really is a beaut to tow. After being very skeptical of folks saying of "don't even know it's there", I now know what they mean, even if they were exaggerating. If it wasn't for the extra pedal you have to give it and the way it feels like someone is tailgating you when you glance in the back window, I really wouldn't know it is there, at least when under way.

Will know more when we get back in Oct after towing it 6 or 7k miles. A couple small overnights doesn't prove much.

If my long trip turns out like the short trips, I'm going to be very happy with this setup. Time will tell.