Towing vehicle for 19' Escape - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2018, 07:43 PM   #81

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
yeah, thats why I like the class II fibreglass electricians ladder, very light. mine is rated for 250 lbs, i weigh 220, so its good to go.

So, you're not going to apply the 80 per cent rule?
Old 11-21-2018, 10:52 AM   #82

Trailer: 21' foot 2019
We recently sold a 19 so we can upgrade to a 21. We'll see about towing. I may have to upgrade my towing vehicle too. I currently have a Nissan Frontier with "the largest V-6" on the market. Perhaps it will be sufficient. Perhaps not.

We also have a 2017 Highlander and it does not tow well. The Highlander has plenty of power for pulling the 19 but the suspension is too mushy. Going downhill off a mountain pass, in the wind, is not fun. My Nissan Frontier with "factory towing package" is an order of magnitude more stable than towing with the Highlander.
pittendrigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:54 PM   #83

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I'm surprised to hear that about the Highlander. Our 2008 Highlander has towed our 19 across the Rockies a couple of times with no problem. I agree it's a mushy ride compared to a pickup, and for that reason I decided the Andersen hitch wasn't quite enough. Even then it towed fine in all conditions. I've since upgraded to an Equalizer hitch, and the whole rig is extremely stable. And now, we've upgraded to a 2018 Highlander.

I'm not a Highlander defender; just saying that our experiences have been great with one. Good luck with your move to the 21. That would be the tipping point for me to go to a truck or a larger SUV.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:06 PM   #84

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittendrigh View Post
We recently sold a 19 so we can upgrade to a 21. We'll see about towing. I may have to upgrade my towing vehicle too. I currently have a Nissan Frontier with "the largest V-6" on the market. Perhaps it will be sufficient. Perhaps not.

We also have a 2017 Highlander and it does not tow well. The Highlander has plenty of power for pulling the 19 but the suspension is too mushy. Going downhill off a mountain pass, in the wind, is not fun. My Nissan Frontier with "factory towing package" is an order of magnitude more stable than towing with the Highlander.
We had the best towing experience of all of our years towing with our 2018 Hylander and the upgraded hitch that Escape Industries provided. We spent 5 weeks going from Canada to Colorado - over the Rockies - down to New Mexico and eventually back. We faced some blistering winds and high rain and many pretty intense down grades (have you gone over that road in the Rockies". Most of the time we just don't feel anything -- and the amazing treat to have really pretty impressive mileage -- 14 to 15 mpg. The hitch system is wonderful - Escape industries got the trailer perfectly level with the car. BTW - we had the Escape 19 loaded pretty heavy.
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:01 PM   #85

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam2004 View Post
We had the best towing experience of all of our years towing with our 2018 Hylander and the upgraded hitch that Escape Industries provided. We spent 5 weeks going from Canada to Colorado - over the Rockies - down to New Mexico and eventually back. We faced some blistering winds and high rain and many pretty intense down grades (have you gone over that road in the Rockies". Most of the time we just don't feel anything -- and the amazing treat to have really pretty impressive mileage -- 14 to 15 mpg. The hitch system is wonderful - Escape industries got the trailer perfectly level with the car. BTW - we had the Escape 19 loaded pretty heavy.
Hi,
In the Options category Escape offers 3 different hitch setups:
Equalizer Hitch $350.00
Equalizer Hitch with Sway Control Bar $475.00
E2 by FastWay -Integrated Sway Control and Weight Distribution Hitch $625

Which one did you select? Thanks.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:47 PM   #86

E2 by FastWay -- it is truly wonderful. The way I look at it -- some people can pull together every important element in towing -- or people like us can buy a hitch as good as the E2 and we seem to be bullet proof. No problem across those huge Wyoming winds with the trucks sometimes barreling by us at 80 mph - not a twitch from trailer and car. The cornering is amazing. We even do U-turns on a tight spot on on street to come back the right way to park in front of our house. The car and trailer feel like one unit.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:51 PM   #87

I've been towing my 17B with the Pro Series ( $350 ) which ETI sold and installed. I don't have sway control and have made more than one abrupt lane change to avoid a collision. It has worked great for ten years.
My buddy has towed his 19' with a Hyundai Santa Fe and now a Highlander with the same hitch for nine years with no issues.

I'd need some real coaxing to spend more on a "better" hitch.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:03 PM   #88

One phrase: you're good until you're not. We upgraded our hitch after we had trailered for quite a number of years with no issues. Then we got scared out of our gourds and upgraded (this was prior to the Escape). But, I know a lot of people do fine with systems that are not as expensive -- the one we had before this one was a similar price and similar function and was also very effective though not as easy to use -- but it only takes one really close call to make one think about why not? Sort of like why we put real snow tires on our Hylander over the winter. Yes, I used to drive with the little front wheel car on snow and felt really bush because they were front wheel, then one moves to AWD and then some of us move to snow tires in the winter with AWD. With all the amazingly bad drivers on snow, they have saved us. So obviously many people don't think they need them and they must be right or there would be more accidents. But, what a dream to ride and drive with these.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:11 PM   #89

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Thanks for the feedback.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:13 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam2004 View Post
One phrase: you're good until you're not.

ETI sold the pricey Andersen WDH. Members of this forum convinced themselves and others that it was worth the money. And then they started having issues. ETI has dropped the Andersen.
I don't know how one would evaluate the hitches that are available without buying each and every one and towing for years under all conditions. You can spend even more money on a Hensley Hitch ( a couple grand ). It also has great reviews.
Here's a previous thread on the topic:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...bar-13015.html
Old 11-22-2018, 09:43 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
ETI sold the pricey Andersen WDH. Members of this forum convinced themselves and others that it was worth the money. And then they started having issues. ETI has dropped the Andersen.
I don't know how one would evaluate the hitches that are available without buying each and every one and towing for years under all conditions. You can spend even more money on a Hensley Hitch ( a couple grand ). It also has great reviews.
Here's a previous thread on the topic:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...bar-13015.html
The way I evaluate a decision, now that we have the wonderful research possible on the internet, is to do just that. We started with a certain level of trust with Escape Industries, then we combed the WEB. But, many of you are probably just more skilled in handling difficult situations than we feel we are and we aren't sure what the problems are that would cause someone to regret going with a more robust system. It is true they take a bit longer to put on and it is true that sometimes it makes a bit of noise. We used the Trekker 650 for a lot of years, but it wasn't as easy to use as this E2 Fastway. BUT, like the E2 Fastway, it felt like the car and the trailer were one vehicle - cornering extremely well and not getting bounced around by wind. So, once again, a personal choice. AND I have to say I have a habit of looking at hitches every time I see a trailer swaying around near us - - I don't know how anyone could drive with that - typically the sway bar is the chain under those circumstances. Good discussions to help people decide for themselves.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:57 AM   #92

I'm not arguing that a WDH isn't necessary, but your reasons for getting the E2 are the same as my reasons for the Pro Series. My experience " it felt like the car and the trailer were one vehicle - cornering extremely well and not getting bounced around by wind" is the same as your experience with WDH.
I'm just curious what the E2 does that the Pro Series doesn't do.
If it weighed half as much, I'd be sold.
Attached Thumbnails
With WDH1.jpg   With WDH2.jpg  
Old 11-22-2018, 10:15 AM   #93

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Glenn
We had the Pro Series for our 19 and it was heavy, I’ll agree with you on that. Adjusted properly, we towed many miles without a problem be it sway, porpoising, sag or whatever. On the 21 we have the Anderson which Escape used to but no longer provides. It has been an excellent hitch, lighter than the pro series but for me a little more time to mount each day and adjust. The E2 has gained favor with a lot of owners, I have not driven a rig with the E2. I like a stiff lockup and I like to tow a couple degrees nose down. To each his own. Hope you’re having a nice fall and coming into the holidays well stocked.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-22-2018, 11:08 AM   #94

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Pretty soon we will be seeing rhubarb pictures Glenn is know for....I miss my mom's rhubarb pies.....
Old 11-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #95

Quote:
I'm not arguing that a WDH isn't necessary, but your reasons for getting the E2 are the same as my reasons for the Pro Series. My experience " it felt like the car and the trailer were one vehicle - cornering extremely well and not getting bounced around by wind" is the same as your experience with WDH.
If it weighed half as much, I'd be sold.
Ah, I see what you are thinking! I am not a sales person for the E2 -- I can only speak to our experience. I have no reason to believe it is better or worse than what you are using. In fact, the only people I am speaking to should be people who are not satisfied with their current systems or they are new to trailering, I suppose if someone is buying an Escape - they could ask Escape why the are offering the ones they offer. Escape was not willing to put our Trekker 650 on our new trailer as they had no experience with it. AND since it was harder to use, we decided to spend the $625 Canadian dollars (400 or so US), They did a beautiful job setting it up for us. So, go forth and do what you know!
Old 11-22-2018, 12:58 PM   #96

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
The E2 has lots of friction resisting the tug and trailer turning relative to each other. This is also true of every other WDH using a similar bars-sliding-in-brackets design, including the Eaz-Lift Trekker (althought the Trekker has some additional features). The effect is the same as any other friction-based sway control device: it makes the rig more difficult to turn and so less responsive, but sway oscillations are reduced.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:57 PM   #97

Trailer: 2022 21C
Towing an Escape 19 or 21C with an Acura 2010 MDX SHAXWD?

Hi All

Great feed back on this Forum - and we are excited about getting our new Escape next year!

We are trying to figure out if our Acura MDX will be a suitable and safe as a tow vehicle for the Escape 19 or 21C?

The Acura has a GVWR of 5000 lbs for 2 people and the GVWR for the Escape 19 and 21 is also 5000 GVWR- but is the Acura safe to toe either one of these?

We are leaning towards the 21C because of the great layout but would consider the 19 if we had to.

Has anyone has towed the 19 or 21 with this vehicle and how safe it is - or should we be considering a bigger vehicle to buy for safety considerations?

Thank you and would appreciate your comments.
KPJMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:24 PM   #98

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPJMP View Post
Hi All

Great feed back on this Forum - and we are excited about getting our new Escape next year!

We are trying to figure out if our Acura MDX will be a suitable and safe as a tow vehicle for the Escape 19 or 21C?

The Acura has a GVWR of 5000 lbs for 2 people and the GVWR for the Escape 19 and 21 is also 5000 GVWR- but is the Acura safe to toe either one of these?

We are leaning towards the 21C because of the great layout but would consider the 19 if we had to.

Has anyone has towed the 19 or 21 with this vehicle and how safe it is - or should we be considering a bigger vehicle to buy for safety considerations?

The Acura MDX is not a highly capable tow vehicle. It will be at the limit with an Escape 19, and very likely overloaded with an Escape 21. Here is how to review the specs. As you did not specify a year, I pulled the 2018 owners manual for data.

Out of the gate, the main challenge is that the MDX has a payload capacity of 1005 to 1173 pounds. This weight includes driver, passengers, cargo, tongue weight, and the weight of your WGH which you will need.

Second, the MDX has what I call a 'floating' tow rating. It can tow 5000 lbs so long as you only have 335lb of people and stuff in the car. As you increase the gear and people in the car, the tow rating decreases. If you have 990 lbs of people and stuff in the car, it can supposedly tow 4000 lbs.........but good luck finding a 4000lb trailer that does not exceed the GVWR then with tongue weight.

In short, one or two people could pull as Excape 19 with an MDX. A family of 4 is much more problematic. And I think most situations with an Escape 21 will exceed the MDX GVWR due to tongue weight and cargo.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:27 PM   #99

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPJMP View Post
Hi All

Yep, a forum member, John (Losangeles) was gung ho about his AWD MDX prior to pick up. Kinda went downhill for him and he has stressed the need for torque. Again, depends on your expectations as Escape founder Reace would say. John sold his trailer and got an F-350 /truck camper.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:25 PM   #100

Trailer: 2022 21C
Thanks for your feedback - appreciate it!
KPJMP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape 19, towing vehicle, toyota highlander