Towing with 3rd gen Tacoma - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2022, 01:25 AM   #21

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer56 View Post
Thanks so much everyone for your replies. The 3rd gen Tacoma has 2 overdrive gears, 5 and 6. With our current low profile Aliner we can tow on level ground in either gear. Once the weight/air resistance of a trailer causes you to switch down to 4th gear, the fuel economy will suffer significantly and it won't be a pleasant drive. Doug and Vermilye, did you find that you could not stay in 5th gear while towing with the Tacoma?
With my 2008 Tacoma V6 4.0L and 2017 4Runner V6 4.0L I towed the 2007 Escape 17B in 4th and 5th (OD). I bought a OBD Scanner to monitor transmission temperatures. The product was called ScanGauge2. Many Youtubes on it. One thing I learned is the transmission only gets hot when the torque converter unlocks and it starts to search for a gear. I could run in 5th gear all day long but as soon as it unlocks and searches the heat in the transmission spikes fast. Once the TC unlocks temps would go from 195 to 225 in 30 seconds. 230 is where I would get concerned.

What would I do. Buy the 17b and keep your Tacoma until the new Tacoma comes out. Maybe 2024. It will be a 4cyl Turbo. Currently they are bench marking it against the Ranger in Colorado. I saw it on Youtube, maybe the TFL page.

Get yourself a ScanGauge2 and take your time. Expectations is a big part of it.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:13 PM   #22

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
I just went threw this last month. I am a big Toyota fan and was said to see my 2013 go down the road. I was torn between the f150 and a 3rd generation Tacoma. I towed my 19 foot with 2nd generation Tacoma all over the U.S with out much of a problem. My dealer was nice enough to set me up with a 2021 off road to test tow my 19. after spending some time with it hitched it came clear to me that this was not a good choice for me. as others have said it will do it but it sure dint seem happy about it.There seems to be a major different in towing from the 2nd gen to the 3rd. I believe this is more to do with the transmission and it shifting of gears while towing.I now have a new 150 with 2.7 eco boost in the driveway. If the wait was not so long for a 17B i might have just switched trailers. IMO the 17 and Tacoma would be a idea set up and get you in some remote places. The best advise I could give you is find someone with a 19 or 21 and hook up your truck for a test run.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:03 PM   #23

Trailer: 2002 Bigfoot 21
Quote:
Hi, i'm new to the forum. We've just ordered an E17B and our choice was determined based on trailer weight. We'd much rather change our order to E19 or E21 but the added weight is a concern. Tacoma's are not good tow vehicles, at least the 3rd gen isn't. But we do quite a bit of exploring and off-roading and its a superb vehicle for that. So we're keeping the Tacoma and now the task is to fit a trailer with it.

We like the Escapes simply because of the materials and workmanship. However they are on the heavy side, particularly because of the added second axle on the 19 and 21. I've not seen any other trailers in the 15ft-18ft range that have tandem axles. In order to stay with single axle, we've ordered the 17B.

Is there anyone who has towing experience with a 3rd gen Tacoma and an E19 or E21? I am certain that my 2017 Tacoma can pull these, but how well does it tow them? I've read reports of going into 3rd gear at 4000rpms at the sight of an incline. Also, what kind of fuel efficiency are you getting while towing?

We have a habit of traveling from BC to southern CA, Arizona and surroundings. Given the distance traveled, fuel economy becomes an issue, especially at today's prices. With our 2007 Aliner (popup) we've been getting excellent fuel economy and it weights about 2,400lbs, just a bit lighter than the E17B. Of course it's relatively low profile, with the Aliner roof as high as the roof of the cab on the Tacoma.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice?
Bottom line: buy a TV that can safely tow the trailer you really want.

When you reach your destination, you really need to enjoy the trailer. You shouldn’t regret compromising on the trailer size & floor plan. Nor should you worry that your tow vehicle can be overpowered by the trailer. .

Regarding the double axle - you want that feature. The trailer rides better with the double axle. No worries about everything falling out of cupboards. And it really doesn’t add that much more weight.

One thing to consider is a previously owned vehicle that is more affordable. Interest rates are sill relatively low if you need to take out a loan.

You are purchasing this trailer for your family’s enjoyment.
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:26 AM   #24

Trailer: 2007 17b
Towing with 2001 3rd gen 4runner

Hi there, I didn't read the rest of the posts, just your initial post. I tow a 2006 Escape we bring two paddle boards 2 surfboards three bicycles, a dog wetsuits helmets and everything for 3 weeks and I tow with my 2001 Toyota 4Runner no problem have not used a weight distribution hitch yet but I should strongly consider using the one that came with the trailer on Highway 4 to Tofino because it is quite undulating Towing is not a concern we've gone up the Coquihalla and back no issues just take it easy with the AC off they're light trailers and wonderful
Toddybegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:43 AM   #25

Trailer: 2016 ESCAPE 21
I have towed a 21 with a 2017 tacoma (4x4) and it will do it. However, rpm’s ran a bit higher than I like and the bigger issue is the 10-11mpg it gets towing the 21. That means less than 200 miles between gas stops. In fact in rural areas, you better start looking for a gas station at 150 miles.
thumper-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:49 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape RV 2010
2017 taco and 21NE

I plan to try out towing my new 21NE with my 17’ dbl cab long bed. I tend to overload my truck but with the 21 I’m hoping to move most stuff to the trailer. The thing is I only get 10-12 mpg with my current casita. If I get that towing the 21 I’ll def keep it a bit while the auto market gets back on its feet. I do plan to eventually get a new tundra. I will report back my experiences when I pick up in mid August.
vtskiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 12:00 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
With respect you are quite possibly making a fundamental mistake: matching a trailer to your current tow. It really should be the other way around and unless you are both minimalists the 17B for extended trips can be quite the challenge.

since.
Agree with both points. Pick the trailer that meets your needs and then get the appropriate tow vehicle.

The new F150s are not much bigger than Toyota Tacomas but are awesome tow vehicles. And the F150s tend to get better fuel economy too.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 12:32 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape RV 2010
I just will never buy a Ford.
vtskiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 01:28 PM   #29
Red

Trailer: 2018 19 ft Escape
Quote:
Tacoma's are not good tow vehicles, at least the 3rd gen isn't.

I am certain that my 2017 Tacoma can pull these, but how well does it tow them? Is there anyone who has towing experience with a 3rd gen Tacoma and an E19 or E21? I've read reports of going into 3rd gear at 4000rpms at the sight of an incline.

We have a habit of traveling from BC to southern CA, Arizona and surroundings. Given the distance traveled, fuel economy becomes an issue, especially at today's prices.
I don't think you can generalize that 3rd gen Tacomas are not good tow vehicles. I spoke to several owners at the recent rally that would not agree. The 3rd gen do rev higher by design but produce enough power and handle well. They don't rev to 4000 rpm at the sight of an incline you should know that from towing your current trailer. They do rev on steep inclines like the Coq smasher and the Hope slide but can still maintain speed. Most of the distance to the south will be on level highways where you will get good economy by driving below 110 kph. Your decision point will lay between more towing power and the best off highway truck for the northwest. If you load your truck and existing trailer to capacity you would be approaching the weight of a 19 and could give an idea of how the weight impacts hill climbing and it feels under load.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 06:41 PM   #30

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Rossue you are making an interesting point here. There is a trade-off...we want to explore the canyons of Utah and Death Valley and need a capable 4x4. We also need to tow a trailer. Which is most important?

If we had a more capable tow vehicle there is no doubt we would go for the 21.

Perhaps we should look at the GMC Canyon diesels and see if there is a model that is ok off road. Thanks for your reply.
I agree with Rossue, it would be advantageous to aim for the camper you want, and then match the tow vehicle to it. Escapes last a long time!
If off-roading is important, it seems the Jeep Gladiator would be a great tow vehicle. We don't have the Gladiator, but do have the same V6 Pentastar engine and 8 speed transmission in our Durango and it pulls our 2020 19' Escape well, and the Gladiator has even better tow gearing than our Durango.
I found that the tandem axle tows more smoothly than our previous single axle, so that might also be a consideration.
We mostly tow with our Ford Ranger with Ecoboost, and it's a fine tow vehicle, with a high payload capacity (in 2WD at least) but I can't say how well it would do off road since we only got 2WD with locking rear axle.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:11 PM   #31

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtskiguy View Post
I plan to try out towing my new 21NE with my 17’ dbl cab long bed. I tend to overload my truck but with the 21 I’m hoping to move most stuff to the trailer. The thing is I only get 10-12 mpg with my current casita. If I get that towing the 21 I’ll def keep it a bit while the auto market gets back on its feet. I do plan to eventually get a new tundra. I will report back my experiences when I pick up in mid August.

You will love Having the extra storage in the camper and front storage box. switching from Casita to the my 19 I find that most the stuff I used to carry in the Truck in now in the trailer.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:19 AM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape
I purchased a 2021 GMC Canyon last year with the 4-cylinder Duramax. Then I off-loaded our '62 Airstream which had been very nicely remodeled but did not have a toilet or shower. We now have a 2013 Escape 19 and this is proving to be a really good setup.

The Canyon has the Denali trim, which I would not have purchased because it's overkill with leather seats, etc., but that was all I could find at the time. I traded in my 2018 Tacoma and I'm very happy with the switch. The Taco had plenty of towing power and the Airstream, which was 19', was about the same weight as the Escape. What I really disliked about the Tacoma was that it was almost always running about 3500 RPM or more, even on a mild grade, and fuel economy was atrocious. I still like Toyotas for their reliability and hope for close to the same with the Canyon.

Currently I get about 18 miles per gallon towing with the Canyon and around 22 without the trailer. It is a very comfortable ride and quieter than the Tacoma. The cost of fuel, gas or diesel, is hideous right now... I spent slightly over a hundred bucks on the last fill. There's not much I can do about that except stay home. In all honesty I have driven Toyotas for the past 30 years and I'm a little nervous about an American built rig, but so far I'm pleased with the Canyon.
dougmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:46 AM   #33

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmac98 View Post
I purchased a 2021 GMC Canyon last year with the 4-cylinder Duramax. Then I off-loaded our '62 Airstream which had been very nicely remodeled but did not have a toilet or shower. We now have a 2013 Escape 19 and this is proving to be a really good setup.

The Canyon has the Denali trim, which I would not have purchased because it's overkill with leather seats, etc., but that was all I could find at the time. I traded in my 2018 Tacoma and I'm very happy with the switch. The Taco had plenty of towing power and the Airstream, which was 19', was about the same weight as the Escape. What I really disliked about the Tacoma was that it was almost always running about 3500 RPM or more, even on a mild grade, and fuel economy was atrocious. I still like Toyotas for their reliability and hope for close to the same with the Canyon.

Currently I get about 18 miles per gallon towing with the Canyon and around 22 without the trailer. It is a very comfortable ride and quieter than the Tacoma. The cost of fuel, gas or diesel, is hideous right now... I spent slightly over a hundred bucks on the last fill. There's not much I can do about that except stay home. In all honesty I have driven Toyotas for the past 30 years and I'm a little nervous about an American built rig, but so far I'm pleased with the Canyon.
I believe the majority of Toyotas are built in North America.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:54 AM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by yangstyle View Post
I believe the majority of Toyotas are built in North America.
Tacoma's are largely made in Mexico now. My 2008 was made in Fremont, California, in the former NUMI plant thats now Tesla.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote