Towing with 3rd gen Tacoma - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-22-2022, 06:19 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Vancouver BC, British Columbia
Trailer: 2007 Aliner
Posts: 6
Towing with 3rd gen Tacoma

Hi, i'm new to the forum. We've just ordered an E17B and our choice was determined based on trailer weight. We'd much rather change our order to E19 or E21 but the added weight is a concern. Tacoma's are not good tow vehicles, at least the 3rd gen isn't. But we do quite a bit of exploring and off-roading and its a superb vehicle for that. So we're keeping the Tacoma and now the task is to fit a trailer with it.

We like the Escapes simply because of the materials and workmanship. However they are on the heavy side, particularly because of the added second axle on the 19 and 21. I've not seen any other trailers in the 15ft-18ft range that have tandem axles. In order to stay with single axle, we've ordered the 17B.

Is there anyone who has towing experience with a 3rd gen Tacoma and an E19 or E21? I am certain that my 2017 Tacoma can pull these, but how well does it tow them? I've read reports of going into 3rd gear at 4000rpms at the sight of an incline. Also, what kind of fuel efficiency are you getting while towing?

We have a habit of traveling from BC to southern CA, Arizona and surroundings. Given the distance traveled, fuel economy becomes an issue, especially at today's prices. With our 2007 Aliner (popup) we've been getting excellent fuel economy and it weights about 2,400lbs, just a bit lighter than the E17B. Of course it's relatively low profile, with the Aliner roof as high as the roof of the cab on the Tacoma.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice?
__________________

Explorer56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:05 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: White Bird, Idaho
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Posts: 352
I’m surprised no one has replied to your post yet, seems like there are quite a few here who tow a 19 or even a 21 with a Tacoma, and the same year as yours.

I don’t have a Tacoma so I can’t really answer your questions or offer advice, other than to suggest you might do a search on this topic, as it has been discussed a lot in the past. I’m pretty sure your truck would do a great job with a 17B though.

Best of luck!
__________________

salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:55 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
brroberts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Overbrook, Kansas
Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Posts: 867
I know there are threads on this already with the pros and cons. Iím guessing thatís why not much response yet. Try typing Tacoma into the search box
__________________
Randy & Barb
1998 C 2500 (Cruncher) and 2021 Ranger (Yoda)
brroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 01:16 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Doug2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: London, Ontario
Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Posts: 989
I have had many Toyota's and regret selling the 2008 Tacoma after 10 years. I traded for a 4Runner and now have a Tundra.

The new Tacoma doesn't tow well. The torque is too high in the RPM range. The 4.0L I had towed my 2007 17B with ease.

The new generation of Escape trailers 2017 and up are heavier than the previous generation. My 2007 17B was way lighter than my 2020 19.

If it was me and I wanted to keep the Tacoma, I would look for a up to 2016 first gen 17B.
__________________
2020 Escape 19, AKA The Escape Pod 2
Trailer #6 was a 2007 Escape 17B
2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4X4 DC Silver
Following TravellingRobert on Youtube
Doug2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:36 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Posts: 4,973
I towed both a 2011 17B & a 2017 21C with a 2016 Tacoma Off Road. It was OK with the 17, although while I loved the truck, my previous tow vehicle was a V6 RAV4 which I sometimes liked better as a match for the 17.

When I switched to the 21C I tried to keep the Tacoma, if fact, towed 9000 miles with it, but in the end switched to a F150 3.5 EcoBoost. Better mileage with the Ford, far more comfortable and no longer high RPMs and stopping at every gas station. I did love the Tacoma for off roading & parking lots, but it didn't work for me with the 21C.
__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2018 F150 3.5EB, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 12:08 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Vancouver BC, British Columbia
Trailer: 2007 Aliner
Posts: 6
Towing E19 with Tacoma

Thanks so much everyone for your replies. The 3rd gen Tacoma has 2 overdrive gears, 5 and 6. With our current low profile Aliner we can tow on level ground in either gear. Once the weight/air resistance of a trailer causes you to switch down to 4th gear, the fuel economy will suffer significantly and it won't be a pleasant drive. Doug and Vermilye, did you find that you could not stay in 5th gear while towing with the Tacoma?
Explorer56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 01:08 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Posts: 4,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer56 View Post
Thanks so much everyone for your replies. The 3rd gen Tacoma has 2 overdrive gears, 5 and 6. With our current low profile Aliner we can tow on level ground in either gear. Once the weight/air resistance of a trailer causes you to switch down to 4th gear, the fuel economy will suffer significantly and it won't be a pleasant drive. Doug and Vermilye, did you find that you could not stay in 5th gear while towing with the Tacoma?
While it depended on the grade & speed, my Tacoma, when towing the 21, spent most of the time in 4th or lower.

I also forgot to mention that with the 21C, my Tacoma payload was overloaded by 150 - 250 pounds. With the F150 I have close to 800 pounds still available. I do carry lots of stuff...
__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2018 F150 3.5EB, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 03:29 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County, California
Trailer: 2014 21 2019 Expedition
Posts: 4,699
With respect you are quite possibly making a fundamental mistake: matching a trailer to your current tow. It really should be the other way around and unless you are both minimalists the 17B for extended trips can be quite the challenge.

We bought our first Escape- a used 2010 (2850 #'s wet)17B , towed it with a Murano which did ok, got an AWD Highlander which was great, all within the first six months. Probably had over 100 nights by then. Saw an ETI post about a 21 available and jumped. Then got a Full-Size SUV. Loving it ever since.
__________________
"We gotta get as far away as we can!"
- Russell Casse, Independence Day
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 03:55 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: Future 2023 E19 Owner
Posts: 51
I thought it was ill-advised to tow in overdrive with an automatic period....even if the tow vehicle has sufficient power to do so. I had understood that doing so was was very hard on the transmission.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:11 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Vancouver BC, British Columbia
Trailer: 2007 Aliner
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
While it depended on the grade & speed, my Tacoma, when towing the 21, spent most of the time in 4th or lower.

I also forgot to mention that with the 21C, my Tacoma payload was overloaded by 150 - 250 pounds. With the F150 I have close to 800 pounds still available. I do carry lots of stuff...
We don't carry that much extra gear, so that part would be ok I think, but towing in 4th does not sound like a fun trip.

Thanks for your reply Vermilye
Explorer56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:16 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Vancouver BC, British Columbia
Trailer: 2007 Aliner
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
With respect you are quite possibly making a fundamental mistake: matching a trailer to your current tow. It really should be the other way around and unless you are both minimalists the 17B for extended trips can be quite the challenge.

We bought our first Escape- a used 2010 (2850 #'s wet)17B , towed it with a Murano which did ok, got an AWD Highlander which was great, all within the first six months. Probably had over 100 nights by then. Saw an ETI post about a 21 available and jumped. Then got a Full-Size SUV. Loving it ever since.
Rossue you are making an interesting point here. There is a trade-off...we want to explore the canyons of Utah and Death Valley and need a capable 4x4. We also need to tow a trailer. Which is most important?

If we had a more capable tow vehicle there is no doubt we would go for the 21.

Perhaps we should look at the GMC Canyon diesels and see if there is a model that is ok off road. Thanks for your reply.
Explorer56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:20 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
brroberts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Overbrook, Kansas
Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Posts: 867
Both the Canyon / Colorado and the Ranger are capable Escape tow vehicles. Iíve not read up on it, but the Gladiator also has a 7600lbs tow rating.
__________________
Randy & Barb
1998 C 2500 (Cruncher) and 2021 Ranger (Yoda)
brroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:21 PM   #13
Commercial Member
 
tractors1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Posts: 2,871
I tow a 2014 21 with a 2013 Taco, 4L crew cab long box rated to 6200 lb tow, and do use overdrive on the flats with no problem. Mountains I'm in 4th. Zero problems, 14 mpg towing.
__________________
Charlie Y

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:24 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Vancouver BC, British Columbia
Trailer: 2007 Aliner
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
I thought it was ill-advised to tow in overdrive with an automatic period....even if the tow vehicle has sufficient power to do so. I had understood that doing so was was very hard on the transmission.
Selkirk, thanks for your reply. We've towed our Aliner (2,400 lbs) plus gear down to the Mexican border from Canada several times. This was with a 2007 Colorado Z21 4x2. The torque converter locked into o/d almost all of the way except when going uphill. The truck had a tow package including a transmission cooler and I used a friction modifyer that was added to the transmssion fluid (B&G). The fluid still looked brand new afterwards.
The Tacoma also has a tow package with a transmission cooler. It still has the factory transmission fluid but I will upgrade it to the B&G product. Unfortunately Toyota chose to use a sealed transmission so you can't check the colour of the fluid.
Anyway, from my experience towing in o/d is ok on level ground but the truck will downshift anyway if it needs to.
Explorer56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:00 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: White Bird, Idaho
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Posts: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer56 View Post
Rossue you are making an interesting point here. There is a trade-off...we want to explore the canyons of Utah and Death Valley and need a capable 4x4. We also need to tow a trailer. Which is most important?

If we had a more capable tow vehicle there is no doubt we would go for the 21.

Perhaps we should look at the GMC Canyon diesels and see if there is a model that is ok off road. Thanks for your reply.
Unfortunately, GM has stopped making the Canyon/Colorado twins with the diesel, as of this month. It still might be possible to find a new one, but Iíd get on it ASAP. Or you could wait until the 2023 models are released. Although they wonít have the diesel, from the numbers Iíve seen, they will have higher torque, payload, horsepower, and tow capacity than either the current diesel or gas models. If I was in the market, for sure thatís what Iíd do, along with looking at a Ford Ranger. A Canyon, Colorado, or Ranger would easily allow you to tow a 21.

But I still use the word ďunfortunateĒ when saying the baby Duramax is no longer available, as the best part for me owning one has been fuel economy. I just returned from a 3-day trip and averaged 19.3 mpg towing my 19 in the mountains of Idaho. I know of no other tow vehicle/trailer combination that can match or beat that, except maybe the 3.0L Duramax in the Chevy 1500 and possibly the Dodge Ram Ecodiesel, both of which are still available. But these are full size pickups.

And of course there is the minor detail of the $6.00/gallon or so cost of diesel to consider. As much as I love the mpg, it doesnít make those $120.00+ fill-ups any less painful!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:20 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County, California
Trailer: 2014 21 2019 Expedition
Posts: 4,699
Is it true Stellantis dropped the diesel because of their own Dieselgate?
__________________
"We gotta get as far away as we can!"
- Russell Casse, Independence Day
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 08:08 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: santa barbara ca 93103, California
Trailer: 2017 19" Escape
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer56 View Post
Hi, i'm new to the forum. We've just ordered an E17B and our choice was determined based on trailer weight. We'd much rather change our order to E19 or E21 but the added weight is a concern. Tacoma's are not good tow vehicles, at least the 3rd gen isn't. But we do quite a bit of exploring and off-roading and its a superb vehicle for that. So we're keeping the Tacoma and now the task is to fit a trailer with it.

We like the Escapes simply because of the materials and workmanship. However they are on the heavy side, particularly because of the added second axle on the 19 and 21. I've not seen any other trailers in the 15ft-18ft range that have tandem axles. In order to stay with single axle, we've ordered the 17B.


Is there anyone who has towing experience with a 3rd gen Tacoma and an E19 or E21? I am certain that my 2017 Tacoma can pull these, but how well does it tow them? I've read reports of going into 3rd gear at 4000rpms at the sight of an incline. Also, what kind of fuel efficiency are you getting while towing?

We have a habit of traveling from BC to southern CA, Arizona and surroundings. Given the distance traveled, fuel economy becomes an issue, especially at today's prices. With our 2007 Aliner (popup) we've been getting excellent fuel economy and it weights about 2,400lbs, just a bit lighter than the E17B. Of course it's relatively low profile, with the Aliner roof as high as the roof of the cab on the Tacoma.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice?
We towed our 2017 Escape 19 with a 2008 Toyota Tacoma and it towed it fine. The 2008 had the 4.o motor not the 3.5 which I think is a better motor but not that much difference. It did lag a little when in the California Sierras at altitude but we just took it easy. I like the dual axel on the 19. We had and a liner with single axle and had a blow out it was very scary!
lonewolfjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 10:07 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
AKCamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Juneau, Alaska
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Posts: 549
We are towing our 2016 Escape 19 with our 2017 Tacoma and although you have to run the engine to a higher RPM to get the tourque out of the 3.5 it does ok. We get about 11-12 MPG towing in hills and as long as it doesnít bother you to run the engine at 4000 RPM on steep hills (redline is 6000) it does alright. 60 MPH seems to be the sweet spot to tow at for me. I normally tow with the ECT button pushed and in drive until I get into hills. We love our Tacoma although a bigger rig would tow it better. I got about 15 MPG the other day on a flat stretch towing. With a F-150 with the eco boost you could keep it in drive and probably would get better mileage towing.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 10:52 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Vancouver BC, British Columbia
Trailer: 2007 Aliner
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
Unfortunately, GM has stopped making the Canyon/Colorado twins with the diesel, as of this month. It still might be possible to find a new one, but Iíd get on it ASAP. Or you could wait until the 2023 models are released. Although they wonít have the diesel, from the numbers Iíve seen, they will have higher torque, payload, horsepower, and tow capacity than either the current diesel or gas models. If I was in the market, for sure thatís what Iíd do, along with looking at a Ford Ranger. A Canyon, Colorado, or Ranger would easily allow you to tow a 21.

But I still use the word ďunfortunateĒ when saying the baby Duramax is no longer available, as the best part for me owning one has been fuel economy. I just returned from a 3-day trip and averaged 19.3 mpg towing my 19 in the mountains of Idaho. I know of no other tow vehicle/trailer combination that can match or beat that, except maybe the 3.0L Duramax in the Chevy 1500 and possibly the Dodge Ram Ecodiesel, both of which are still available. But these are full size pickups.

And of course there is the minor detail of the $6.00/gallon or so cost of diesel to consider. As much as I love the mpg, it doesnít make those $120.00+ fill-ups any less painful!
Thanks Salmo7000. You gave me reason start checking on the Ranger. I had never considered it a serious contender but the numbers are indeed amazing. I called GM today to inquire about a 'baby duramax' and found out, as you wrote, that they are discontinued. They had one at the lot but it was pre-sold. Interesting comments about Colorado/Canyon and their new upcoming engines. We have time. Our completion date is in June '23 so we need to make a final decision regarding 17/19/21 in February.

Unfortunately there are no models of any kind on the lots to take for a test drive. I could look for a used Ranger and try it out assuming that a new model would perform likewise, then order a new one. This may be a path to follow. Or simply choose the trailer we want, as per Rossue's suggestion, then see how the Taco performs and decide at that time which way to go. Thank y'all for your kind comments and all this helpful information!
Explorer56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 11:11 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
brroberts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Overbrook, Kansas
Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Posts: 867
The Ranger is also going through changes for ď23.
__________________

__________________
Randy & Barb
1998 C 2500 (Cruncher) and 2021 Ranger (Yoda)
brroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×