towing with a 07 Sequoia - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2016, 12:26 PM   #41

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Sequoia

The prodigy RF worked great I set it and I didn't touch it again . We do have a switch to shut off the 12 volt line to trailer . The trailer brought the Sequoia down about 1-1 1/2in so I will be adding timbrin rubber shocks for $214 at E-trader .Some of the other Eggs users have used these with good success . We have not opted for WDH as of yet will try the Timbrin approach first . I will let you know how these work later .Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:57 AM   #42

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
We switched tow vehicles in September. From a 2007 Sequoia to a 2012 Sequoia. Note there are some differences between these models as Toyota added some weight and height. Most interesting for us was the 2012 model came with the Timbrin air shocks installed. I have really like them, so much so that we removed the Andersen WDH and are using the vehicle without any extra hitch apparatus. It has towed very nice, the one reason we added the Andersen to the 2007 was the headlights, that is taken car of with the Timbrin.

So far about 700 miles towing with the 2012 and it behaves very well. I am still playing with the stinger to get everything more level but it tows very nice. I always keep evaluating the tow and the only consideration I might make for this combination is an anti sway bar. I will not investigate my options until I determine a need.

It is sooooo . . . nice not having to deal with the Andersen or any WDH for that matter.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:58 PM   #43

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
The trailer brought the Sequoia down about 1-1 1/2in so I will be adding timbrin rubber shocks for $214 at E-trader .
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Most interesting for us was the 2012 model came with the Timbrin air shocks installed.
Timbren doesn't make shock absorbers or air springs/shocks, so I assume that both of these are references to Timbren SES Suspension Enhancement (TORTUN4 for the Tundra, or TTORSEQ at eTrailer for the Sequoia; similar design - replacing the bump stop - and same price for both vehicles), which is the addition of rubber auxiliary (or "helper") springs... probably only at the rear these cases.

If a vehicle's only issue with handling the trailer is a little too much compression of the rear suspension, then boosting the springs certainly seems like a more desirable solution to me than adding a bunch of hitch gear and messing with axle loads. I'm glad it's working.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:35 PM   #44

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Timbren doesn't make shock absorbers or air springs/shocks, so I assume that both of these are references to Timbren SES Suspension Enhancement (TORTUN4 for the Tundra, or TTORSEQ at eTrailer for the Sequoia; similar design - replacing the bump stop - and same price for both vehicles), which is the addition of rubber auxiliary (or "helper") springs... probably only at the rear these cases.
This is correct. I have "Sumo Springs" on my 2016 Tacoma which are basically the same design as the Timbren overload "springs." They are actually a polymer designed to increase density as they compress. As noted, they replace the bump stop but fill the gap between the frame and the leaf spring when the vehicle is not loaded. One still has the full function of stock leaf springs but the ride stays level as the resistance of the polymer increases the more force it absorbs. My Tacoma is smaller than the Sequoia so I do notice a difference with the Anderson WDH pulling my Escape 19'. I did not need a WDH with my prior trailer, a 2014 A-Liner that was about 1500 lbs lighter. On that rig, the Sumo Springs were enough for a level ride.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:59 AM   #45

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Sequoia

we added the Timbrin SES system rubber stops . It tows completely level so no squat .I will take it on a long drive and see how it goes .the system actually does not come in contact with the rear axle unless loaded down with tongue weight . I'm hoping no WDH .
I also tow a 5000 lb boat and trailer, never a problem with Squat. I think the tongue weight for the Escape is more then the boat? The boat we hardly ever tow ,usually just for maintenance .
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:40 AM   #46

Trailer: Jayco 2011
Quote:
We switched tow vehicles in September. From a 2007 Sequoia to a 2012 Sequoia. Note there are some differences between these models as Toyota added some weight and height. Most interesting for us was the 2012 model came with the Timbrin air shocks installed. I have really like them, so much so that we removed the Andersen WDH and are using the vehicle without any extra hitch apparatus. It has towed very nice, the one reason we added the Andersen to the 2007 was the headlights, that is taken car of with the Timbrin.

So far about 700 miles towing with the 2012 and it behaves very well. I am still playing with the stinger to get everything more level but it tows very nice. I always keep evaluating the tow and the only consideration I might make for this combination is an anti sway bar. I will not investigate my options until I determine a need.

It is sooooo . . . nice not having to deal with the Andersen or any WDH for that matter.

What sort of mileage are you getting with the Sequoia while towing? Looks like you tow the Escape 21. Do you have the 5.7 motor? How does it handle the 21?

I have a 2015 Sequoia, just towing a pop up now, but hoping for something bigger soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Jsg55337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:23 PM   #47

Since this thread has been revived...
When I mentioned the Timbren SES for Tundra, I must have somehow been thinking that Paul and Janet have a Tundra (rather than a Sequoia) so I listed the wrong product. The actual SES for a 2012 Sequoia is
eTrailer: TTORSEQ1
Timbren: TTORSEQ1

The second-generation (2007 and newer) Sequoia has a completely different rear suspension design from either the first Sequoia or any Tundra, but the SES still works the same way... as an extended bump stop which acts as an added spring once the suspension is compressed a bit more than empty ride height. This vehicle is available with air suspension; with the air suspension there would be no reason to use something like Timbren's SES, and it would not fit anyway.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:56 PM   #48

Quote:
We switched tow vehicles in September. From a 2007 Sequoia to a 2012 Sequoia. Note there are some differences between these models as Toyota added some weight and height...
Now there's an understatement! Other than the 4.7L engine, I don't think that the first and second generations of the Sequoia (or Tundra) share any parts or dimensions at all... and even that engine had been replaced by 2012. But I do understand the intent: it's Toyota's replacement of the same type of vehicle, for the same purpose, and the new one is larger (in every dimension).
Old 12-19-2016, 09:47 PM   #49

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I believe both models of Sequoia I have towed with are excellent tow vehicles. Before the Sequoias I had a 4Runner with the V8, that was also very good with my 19. Never tried it with a 21.

When towing with the 2007 I would do a happy dance when getting 12 mpg, now with the 2012 and the larger V-8 it is a bit more often that I achieve 12. I try to keep my speed at 65 but it seems there are times when I do go faster as traffic speed and density dictate it. Keeping in the right lane puts some discipline on ones speed and I infrequently leave it. I believe the Tow Haul Mode on the 2012 has been one reason for this, that mode has also eliminated the transmission "hunting" that the 2007 had with overdrive off. A much improved tow experience.

The speed does not have any effect on handling, I know it does change stopping distance. Several years ago I decided that getting to a destination does not need a timetable, as a result I found that I often arrived more refreshed. The next day becomes easier as a result.

Handling is excellent, acceleration onto the motorway is easy, hills have not been a part of my travels with the 2012 so far but the 2007 never had any sort of issue. I-40 over the Applications, between Knoxville and Asheville is a common route, the hard part is not the steepness or reduced speed but rather the motor cars that see a travel trailer and think they have to pass it, not realizing how fast I am going. Not that I am speeding but am traveling at the passenger car speed.

Out west, Lolo Pass and Chief Joseph Pass in Idaho were quite pleasant as I could relax and enjoy the scenery, never a worry about keeping up speed or what gear I was in or if the engine was downshifting frequently.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:00 AM   #50

Trailer: Jayco 2011
towing with a 07 Sequoia

Thanks ! Not towing, I get about 19 -20 hwy with the 2015 5.7 Sequoia, about 15 towing a pop up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jsg55337 is offline   Reply With Quote