Towing with a Ford Ranger - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2020, 12:38 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Thanks for clarifying. I can understand that travelling on the flat lands would result in more minimal downshifting than the when on hilly terrain.

The downshifting on hills drives me nuts. When it's in something like 4th and the engine is over 4,000 rpm I'm not happy. So before I start down a long steep downhill section I've taken to switching to manual mode and controlling the rpms.

I'd rather use a little more brake and a little less engine.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:39 PM   #42

Trailer: 2012 B17
We also went for a 4x4 Ford 150 from an older style Range for our B17. We had problems with some icy road and some back country driving. So decided to go bigger with the 4x4. Plus more storage in the bed for all our equipment (biking, kayaking, hiking, fishing, canoeing and kite flying). We feel much safer on the road with the new F150 but note we got the standard cab short box because it fitted into our garage. We also use the truck on some of the back country roads after leaving our B17 at a nice campsite.
Bobccat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:49 PM   #43

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobccat View Post
...new F150 but note we got the standard cab short box because it fitted into our garage.
I understand that choice, and we had a regular cab short box pickup too... but wow, that's uncommon now. I doubt there's one on a dealer lot anywhere in the province.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:27 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I understand that choice, and we had a regular cab short box pickup too... but wow, that's uncommon now.
For anyone wanting a short truck...
I just checked, and among current full-size light-duty pickups in Canada (which is likely the same as in the U.S.):
  • Ford F-150: regular cab comes with 2.0 m (6 ft) or 2.4 m (8 ft) box
  • Chevrolet Silverado 1500: regular cab comes only with 2.4 m (8 ft) box
  • Ram 1500: no "regular" cab (shortest is Quad cab with 6'4" or 2 m box)
  • Toyota Tundra: no "regular" cab (shortest is double cab with 6'4" or 2 m box.. and that is only in 4X4)
2 metres or about six and a half feet is now commonly called the "standard" box for a full-size, but back when we had a pickup that length was the "short" box.

So in a full-size if you want a short truck you have to take an F-150. The mid-sized trucks such as the Ranger offer more options, although a Ranger (either the SuperCab with 6' box or SuperCrew with 5' box) is within a few millimetres of the same overall length of an F-150 regular cab 6.5' box (which is 5.3 m or 209" long). The Colorado is 5.4 m or 213" long.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:25 PM   #45

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Thanks very much for this comparison, Brian. It was useful.

I am also chasing rabbits down holes, as a complete towing (anything) newbie.

And apologies if I've gone off topic.

Because I'm hoping to end up with one vehicle in our two-retired-people household, I'm trying to find a 4x4 "supercrew" (4 doors so the grandkids could come occasionally) in a mid-sized pickup with decent gas (prefer not diesel) mileage, the ability to safely! tow a 5.0TA, and fit into the garage. Easy peasy.

I've looked at the Ranger (can the 5' bed (Escape min is 5'5") take some kind of hitch?), Colorado/Canyon, Tacoma, and my preference Ridgeline, since we've been a Honda family for 20 years.

Unfortunately, I don't think the Ridgeline will work. Not enough towing capacity and a really tough fifth-wheel hitch process (I found a post from 10 years ago with someone who custom built something).

The Colorado/Canyon 3.6V6 "Long" Box seem closest to the size and capacity spec that I'm looking for with its towing capacity of 7000lb and payload of 1700lb and 74" box length.

The Tacoma almost fits with its 6A configuration 3.5V6 74" box. Towing 6300lb, Payload a very, very marginal 937.

The Nissan Frontier doesn't have the oomph after a very brief look.

In the end, I may be "forced" to go to the F-150 that everyone else chooses, or if I want to continue to be a snob, the Tundra.

Or I return to my lifelong dream of a Class B. [Yes, in the late '80's my saint of a wife went to the post office to pick up a parcel which turned out to be a plain-brown-paper-wrapped videotape from a company called Pleasure-Way.] The one-vehicle, safety and detachability of a fifth-wheel really appeals. As does the $50K+ lower price without going for a pre-loved solution.

Thanks for listening.
camp4528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:41 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp4528 View Post
The Nissan Frontier doesn't have the oomph after a very brief look.
The Frontier gets a new and more powerful engine coupled to a 9-speed transmission for 2020, but you would need the King cab to get a long enough box (not likely to have a usable back seat) and payload capacity is marginal for a 5.0TA. I would leave it off the list; the Ranger and Colorado seem more suitable.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:19 PM   #47

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Thanks very much for this comparison, Brian. It was useful.
I've looked at the Ranger (can the 5' bed (Escape min is 5'5") take some kind of hitch?), Colorado/Canyon, Tacoma, and my preference Ridgeline, since we've been a Honda family for 20 years.

Thanks for listening.
Theoretically, using Escapes' 5th wheel guidelines, the Ranger 5 ft bed "could" tow the 5.0 TA. My bed height is 55.5 and they say no higher than 56" with the standard axle. That would be too close for me, so I would opt for the high lift axle for the extra clearance. I would not feel comfortable with the pin any closer than 32" to the tailgate, and that distance would also give me more than the necessary clearance on the corners at 51 3/4" . Unfortunately, a pin mounted 32" from the tailgate only provides 28" from the front of the bed, so add another inch to the cab and Escape says I can only be safe making a 53 degree turn without crunching the cab (may be a little more in practice).
A 6' bed would theoretically allow a 90 degree turn.
Attached Thumbnails
fifth wheel chart.JPG  
Radar1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:28 AM   #48

Thanks very much, Radar. I should have looked more closely at that guidance diagram before posting. I just took the 5'5" recommendation and stopped there.

May I ask why you would be uncomfortable putting the hitch closer than 32" from the tailgate? Is it a load thing? Clearance thing?

Thanks also to Brian for the Frontier update.

All of this is very useful to me, and please let me know via PM if I've gone off topic too much.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:11 AM   #49

Quote:
Thanks very much, Radar. I should have looked more closely at that guidance diagram before posting. I just took the 5'5" recommendation and stopped there.

May I ask why you would be uncomfortable putting the hitch closer than 32" from the tailgate? Is it a load thing? Clearance thing?

Thanks also to Brian for the Frontier update.

All of this is very useful to me, and please let me know via PM if I've gone off topic too much.
This drawing shows the arch between the pin box and the trailer. The pin box is lower than my bed rails/tailgate, and sits inside the bed. Since it's lower than the tailgate, it needs to be far enough forward of the tailgate to avoid hitting it. 32" would be just enough to do that. Can't go too much farther forward though, because after the arch, the frame starts going down again, so you need to ensure your pin box isn't too far forward so that the 51 3/4" measurement does not hit the corners of your truck as you turn.
This is all pure conjecture on my part, as I have no experience towing 5th wheel trailers.
Attached Thumbnails
5th wheel hitch.JPG  
Old 07-06-2020, 09:24 AM   #50

This is very helpful, Radar. Thank you for looking at all this from a theoretical view. You are able to see these things much more clearly than I can, and what the implications of all those measurement are. I will get there...
Old 07-19-2020, 11:08 AM   #51

Trailer: 2020 19'
We are considering the 2020 Ford Ranger to use as a tow vehicle. We live and mostly travel in the USA mountain west areas.

Can anybody report on their MPG/KPL in the Ranger pulling an Escape 19? Our Honda Pilot averages 14 - 15 MPG on longer trips (400 miles+) due to the long climbs and head winds. I'm concerned the Ranger 4-cylinder MPG might be worse.

Sam
mistertinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 11:42 AM   #52

Trailer: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistertinkle View Post
We are considering the 2020 Ford Ranger to use as a tow vehicle. We live and mostly travel in the USA mountain west areas.

Can anybody report on their MPG/KPL in the Ranger pulling an Escape 19? Our Honda Pilot averages 14 - 15 MPG on longer trips (400 miles+) due to the long climbs and head winds. I'm concerned the Ranger 4-cylinder MPG might be worse.

Sam
You may find this article interesting. The mileage appears to drop quite a lot when towing.
https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2019/0...foot-boat.html
TX_Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 11:53 AM   #53

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
I tow our 21' trailer with our 2019 Ranger Lariat. Back in February and March my wife and I drove from New Jersey to the Quartzsite rally with an extension to the west coast and back home for a total trip of over 9k miles. I kept a total trip mileage memory and back home it showed an average MPG of 14.5. I used regular gas for our truck. I would think with the 21' GVW slightly higher than a 19's the average MPG for a 19' should be no worse. Also the Ranger's turbocharged engine should be a plus for driving in western states in higher elevations.
viator36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 11:59 AM   #54

Trailer: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by viator36 View Post
I tow our 21' trailer with our 2019 Ranger Lariat. Back in February and March my wife and I drove from New Jersey to the Quartzsite rally with an extension to the west coast and back home for a total trip of over 9k miles. I kept a total trip mileage memory and back home it showed an average MPG of 14.5. I used regular gas for our truck. I would think with the 21' GVW slightly higher than a 19's the average MPG for a 19' should be no worse. Also the Ranger's turbocharged engine should be a plus for driving in western states in higher elevations.
I am pleased to hear about the good performance of the Ranger. I have a 2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab that I plan to use towing. Currently looking at the 21C. What break controller are you using and have you or can you integrate a trailer backup camera?
TX_Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 12:50 PM   #55

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
I installed the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite Trailer Brake Controller I bought from Etrailer.com and I am happy with its performance. The integrated rear view camera on my trailer came from my order from ETI. I wish there is a better rear view camera I could get to replace it, because the ultra wide angle lens makes vehicles behind me look way too small/distant when they are at fairly close following distances and it doesn't have a record function and I would like to have that option.
viator36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:58 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Clint View Post
You may find this article interesting. The mileage appears to drop quite a lot when towing.
https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2019/0...foot-boat.html

Thanks for the link. I saw on the Ranger 5G forum that people were reporting MPG in the 10 - 14 range when towing a camper. It seems a full size truck is less impacted by towing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viator36 View Post

Sounds like a good trip! 14.5 is a good average for your trip. Thanks for the info.

Sam
Old 07-20-2020, 08:32 AM   #57

Trailer: Hello Hakuna Matata (Escape 19) bye bye Aliner
But the gaz tank is a bit small
hondasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:16 AM   #58

I've only been able to use our Ranger on one camping trip so far back in Feb. Pulling our 3,000 lb loaded Scamp 16 to Sebring FL and back we got an average of 15.3 going South into strong headwinds, and 16.9 coming back (using the fuelly app for computations). Best tank empty has been 26.1 (ignoring the tank that showed 30.7 since that was only 43 miles and subject to error).
I like the power and responsiveness of the Ranger and hope it pulls our future 19 as well. Just wish it had a larger tank like our Durango.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:07 AM   #59

MPG and gas tank size is my biggest concern. Some of the roads we travel have 60+ miles between gas stations. I don't want to have to stop for fuel that often. Also, I don't want to have to search for fuel after setup in order to explore the back roads.

If it would consistently get 17+ MPG and had a 22 gallon tank, I would feel better.

Thanks everybody.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:33 AM   #60

Ranger MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistertinkle View Post
MPG and gas tank size is my biggest concern. Some of the roads we travel have 60+ miles between gas stations. I don't want to have to stop for fuel that often. Also, I don't want to have to search for fuel after setup in order to explore the back roads.

If it would consistently get 17+ MPG and had a 22 gallon tank, I would feel better.

Thanks everybody.
We have a few more miles on our Ranger since our last post, and were able to take it on a trip from GA to NH and back to GA.
Our Scamp weighs 3,000 lbs when loaded, and the trip required crossing some Eastern mountains (hills) and the Ranger performed great.
The MPG gauge is a bit optimistic, it shows 18.2 MPG for the trip, but hand calculated using miles and gallons the actual MPG was 17.07 which is not bad for a truck with this much power. It might even get better since we still only have less than 6,000 miles on the truck.
Our last refill we put 18.7 gallons into the 18 gallon tank! I do not normally let it get that low, but we were on the downhill side of the mountain and the miles to empty was greater than our miles to our selected Shell gas station.
I would like a larger tank like our Dakota 24 gallon tank, but I can get just about as far on the Ranger's 18 gallon tank as I can with the Dakota 24 gallon tank.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200928_132921_459 (1).jpg