Towing with a Ford Ranger - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2020, 10:11 AM   #1

Trailer: 2004 Winnebago
Towing with a Ford Ranger

Would appreciate any information on towing with Ranger....especially if towing a 5.0TA. How does it handle mountain driving? Curious as to whether you have a 4x2 or 4x4, Super Cab or Super Crew...thanks in advance.
HappyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:42 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Welcome Joette,
Not sure since the Ranger is so new that someone has been towing with one, let alone a 5.0 TA but I'm sure if they have we will hear from them....
Old 06-23-2020, 11:19 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Viator36 tows a newer 21 with a 2019 Ford Ranger. Besides towing back from Chilliwack he has been cross-country at least twice. Maybe send him a PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:46 AM   #4

Thank You! I will contact Viator36! Appreciate the help!
Old 06-23-2020, 03:57 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFeet View Post
Would appreciate any information on towing with Ranger....especially if towing a 5.0TA. How does it handle mountain driving? Curious as to whether you have a 4x2 or 4x4, Super Cab or Super Crew...thanks in advance.
I tow a 5.0TA, I really wanted to go with the smaller pickups and looked hard at the GM Canyon / Colorado and the Ford Ranger. People on the forum are very happy with the GM mid-size, most notably the diesel. I think the Ranger with the Eco-Boost's torque will easily handle towing the 5.0 TA or the 21'. After having the F150 I think I would not have been happy with the amount of room in the box with the smaller pickups.

I ended up buying a used 2015 F150 with the 3.5L and 3.55 axle 1733 lb payload. I am very happy with it. We do get it into the double garage, but it does fill up it's half.

Whatever you decide, be sure to check the specific vehicle for it's payload capacity. Each vehicle has payload capacity sticker on the door jamb and many things influence a particular vehicles payload.

Picture shows the bed of our F150 ready to hook up to the 5.0 TA. The hitch is the Andersen Ultimate rail mount, it is barely visible in the middle of the bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Bed of truck loaded IMG_20200604_170307.jpg  
Old 06-23-2020, 04:00 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Ronn,
If you stopped for the night at a rest stop and slept inside the Escape, would feel safe with those items left outside in the truck bed.
Old 06-23-2020, 05:06 PM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I do it all the time and don't worry about it. If it included a generator I would worry.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Ronn,
If you stopped for the night at a rest stop and slept inside the Escape, would feel safe with those items left outside in the truck bed.
We do those stops and in a couple spots I have felt a little uneasy, but so far no problem.

I usually roll the tronneau cover back onto the pin box which then covers 2/3 of it. I also bought a magnet mount motion light to place on the pin box which we haven't had a chance to use that yet. Due to the 5.0's loft over the trucks bed unless you move it or take what is in the very front of the trucks box there is only about 6" clearance to lift something over the sides.

In the 5.0 you do sleep directly over the bed of the truck, so we might even detect mischief in the bed and it might make thieves a little uneasy knowing you are right above them.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:39 PM   #9

Thanks, Jim! Trying to make a decision on a vehicle and all the towing numbers are giving me quite a headache! I am looking in the near future to purchase an Escape 19 or 21 so I am wanting to make sure I have enough truck for pulling. I am female, 5' 3'' and some of the larger trucks are just not comfortable for me. However, I do want to make it up mountain roads safely! From reading here on the Forum it looks like I need to pay close attention to towing capacity and payload to choose correctly.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:35 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
I am female, 5' 3'' and some of the larger trucks are just not comfortable for me.
So is my wife. We went from a Ranger, old version, to an F150. The seats, steering wheel etc. have so much adjustability that my wife loves driving it much more than the smaller Ranger.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:53 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Ronn,
So far hasn’t been a problem.🤔 If the area was real sketchy I guess I could unhook and close the locking tonneau but the smarter choice would be move on.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:57 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I do it all the time and don't worry about it. If it included a generator I would worry.
If I carried a generator think I’d chain it to the bed and wouldn’t loose any sleep. That’s what I’m paying my insurance company for.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:32 PM   #13

Quote:
I see the forum member "JESSE" has the Ranger with a 5.0TA
Old 06-25-2020, 03:58 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
So is my wife. We went from a Ranger, old version, to an F150. The seats, steering wheel etc. have so much adjustability that my wife loves driving it much more than the smaller Ranger.

Ron
Our Ram 1500 Laramie has an adjustable steering wheel , power adjustable memory seats, power adjustable mirrors and power adjustable pedals
My wife at 5ft 4” has no trouble driving our Ram
I’d rather have too much truck than push the envelope and have barely enough
In my estimation the Ford F150’ would make a great choice as a tow vehicle .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:27 PM   #15

Quote:

Ron
Hi Ron, Thanks! Just started looking at the Ford F150 4x2 Ecoboost 2.7L V.6. Unfortunately, here in Austin, Tx area there is not much inventory on the lots. I am being told maybe several weeks to months before there is much selection! Did you all get the 2.7 V6? if so have you been happy with performance especially in mountainous areas? Thanks appreciate the input!
Old 06-26-2020, 05:09 AM   #16

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've not heard anyone complain about lack of power with the 2.7L.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:48 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The Ranger would have no troubles towing any Escape trailer, and has a high max payload rating of 1,860 lbs, but with options that may drop a bit. I do wonder about bed size and capability for a fifth wheel hitch though. Could be found out at a hitch shop though.

Quote:
Ronn,
Gosh, I have never had a bit of worry nor a problem either. I don't carry much for expensive items in the box, at least ones that can easily be taken.

Quote:

Ron
David bought the Ranger and got rid of his older Pilot. Though I don't have much experience with riding in it, it certainly is a huge step beyond the previous version in layout and function. Lots of great features to it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:50 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Hi Ron, Thanks! Just started looking at the Ford F150 4x2 Ecoboost 2.7L V.6. Unfortunately, here in Austin, Tx area there is not much inventory on the lots. I am being told maybe several weeks to months before there is much selection! Did you all get the 2.7 V6? if so have you been happy with performance especially in mountainous areas? Thanks appreciate the input!
I'm not surprised by the lack of inventory. We had the same situation here. Acres of 4x4s but very few 4x2s and none with the options we wanted. We ordered ours from the factory. Yes, 2.7, V-6, 10 speed, it's a dream tow vehicle. Some the steep climbs that used to tighten my stomach muscles are now a breeze.

We also wanted the Supercab, not the 4 door so that made it even more rare to find on a car lot. One thing we did, because we don't carry any passengers, is remove the rear jump seats. Makes a large dry secure storage area, not to mention ditching 70# of unneeded weight. Makes a perfect place, with easy access, to store valuable things like our folding bikes.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P2120122_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:17 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
I am a 5’ 5” female, and I also did not want to drive a full size pickup. If you’re looking to buy a 19 or 21 I would not hesitate to consider a Ranger. From what I understand, any model or trim will have more than enough capacity for either of these trailers, so not to worry about the numbers!

I tow my 19 with a 2017 Colorado diesel, and it’s plenty of truck for this trailer. The gas version V-6 has about the same capacity and can do the job as well. This truck fits me perfectly. The seat can be raised high enough I have no trouble seeing over the dash. Lots of folks tow a 21 with a Colorado/Canyon too and report the same. The only complaint I have is it’s a crew cab with standard box, so it’s turning radius is pretty wide. Thus it’s harder to park in tight spots. But that’s a problem just about any pickup will have!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:59 AM   #20

Trailer: Hello Hakuna Matata (Escape 19) bye bye Aliner
My son has a 2019 4 door Ranger sport. Here is his door sticker for payload 1458 pounds. I drove it and it is nice to drive. Unloaded Highway less than 12 l per 100 km. Loaded it goes up by about 25-30%. Torque is very present. Would check that with the Ranger the bed wall are high, very high.

Having myself a Escape 19 towed with a 2016 Diesel Canyon, the diesel is more economical loaded and unloaded. Done need a full size truck and I'm fully aware of my need for cargo weight.

Make sure that it has the towing package.

Full size or midsize is a personal choice as both will do much the same with an Escape trailler.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0878.JPG  
hondasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote