Towing with an F150 Lightning? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2022, 02:55 PM   #21

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Some folks have been successful charging at (wait for it…), RV parks with 50 amp service.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 02:59 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
Some folks have been successful charging at (wait for it…), RV parks with 50 amp service.
Oh joy.
Surcharge for dogs, kids, what will be the surcharge for EVs?
Old 07-08-2022, 04:36 PM   #23

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
EV charging at sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
We’ve recently stayed at two campgrounds that explicitly prohibit charging electric vehicles at your RV pedestal. Seems proper for an RV site to charge more if you charge your EV, even if only at Level 1.

I can see electrical safety and capacity issues if an RV park allows anything beyond Level 1 (1.4 kW) EV charging at an RV site. Level 2 chargers are 6-8 kW, 240V.

RV pedestals are not UL-listed for use supporting EV charging, which is a different load type from our trailer. NEC (NFPA 70), Article 625, establishes standards for EV charging circuits, while NEC Article 551 establishes standards for RVs and RV Parks.

This is an opportunity for campgrounds to step forward and attract EV owners by adding some RV-length, pull-thru, sites with both RV pedestal and EV charging stations.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 04:42 PM   #24

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG;

Making it worse, Elon Musk is a serial prevaricator who's only constant is that he does always say whatever is most self-serving.

I can’t begin to tell you the amount of fun it is to watch the one sided media sources not be able to control, cancel or neuter him…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 05:34 PM   #25

Trailer: 2002 Bigfoot 21

The other feature of the 150 lightning that I like is you now have a complete storage compartment under the front hood. Because we travel with dogs & training equipment, that additional storage area will be invaluable. And actually enhance safe towing of our specific trailer. Camping equipment we would normally pack in our trailers (rear) basement storage area can now be moved to the TV’s front storage compartment, transferring weight forward.

How great is that?
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 05:56 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I agree. Kudos to Ford for making it. But there's a long way to go. 90-100 miles towing range just doesn't cut it.
Range depends on the trailer. Per the video, our trailers have about 160 miles towing range. When soloing, I have to stop somewhat frequently to relieve myself and stretch. So the reduced range doesn’t bother me.

What is of concern is the lack of charging stations. That will take time to rectify. In the interim, Ford and Chevrolet will not only increase the towing range of their trucks, but hopefully offer an SUV built on the EV truck frames with a tow package.
Old 07-08-2022, 06:11 PM   #27

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Charging time, then charger locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Range doesn’t bother me as much as fast charging time, and the availability of individual charging stations that can accommodate trailers (would not want to unhitch to recharge).
Agree that a 20-30 minute charging time capability is critical. Even with a level 2 charger, KYD found that charging overnight wasn’t adequate for RVing. Traveling 300-350 miles and charging for 60-120 minutes during the day would be OK for us.

RV charging stations will expand. During our recent trip, we found several smaller town WalMarts adding Tesla Superchargers and other DC chargers in the parking lot. Our small local community (pop. 1300) just added 8 Tesla Superchargers in the grocery store parking lot. These chargers service the Austin and San Antonio drivers visiting Fredericksburg, Marble Falls, and the many Texas Hill Country wineries, breweries, and distilleries.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 07:37 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
Agree that a 20-30 minute charging time capability is critical. Even with a level 2 charger, KYD found that charging overnight wasn’t adequate for RVing. Traveling 300-350 miles and charging for 60-120 minutes during the day would be OK for us.

RV charging stations will expand. During our recent trip, we found several smaller town WalMarts adding Tesla Superchargers and other DC chargers in the parking lot. Our small local community (pop. 1300) just added 8 Tesla Superchargers in the grocery store parking lot. These chargers service the Austin and San Antonio drivers visiting Fredericksburg, Marble Falls, and the many Texas Hill Country wineries, breweries, and distilleries.

73/gus
Good to know.

The infrastructure funding will hopefully accelerate these installations.

From a towing perspective, at least one or two of these new stations need to be designed as a pull through with enough room for the trailer.
Old 07-08-2022, 07:45 PM   #29

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
I can’t begin to tell you the amount of fun it is to watch the one sided media sources not be able to control, cancel or neuter him…
I don't find him amusing. I think he is a menace. He is the CEO of a company with a market capitalization around $1T. He lies with great regularity on critical aspects of his financial, technical, and strategic plans, always with an aspect of enhancing his own holdings.

If the CEOs of all other companies behaved like him, and were able to without being imprisoned, the entire concept of the stock market would stop working because investors would have no ability to judge the potential value of their investments.

If you are unclear on what I mean, I can clarify, because I could probably write a book called "Lies that Elon Musk has made, which he knew were lies when he made them, and which he made to boost the value of his own holdings." It's not a short list, and it is not ambiguous.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 07:48 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Good to know.

The infrastructure funding will hopefully accelerate these installations.

From a towing perspective, at least one or two of these new stations need to be designed as a pull through with enough room for the trailer.

Rivian is installing charging stations at trail heads and National Parks, because their business model is electric adventure vehicles.

The need for pull-through charging was the first thing spotted when tow-capable vehicles like the F150 Lightning and Rivian R1 came on market.
Old 07-08-2022, 07:56 PM   #31

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
I don't find him amusing. I think he is a menace. He is the CEO of a company with a market capitalization around $1T. He lies with great regularity on critical aspects of his financial, technical, and strategic plans, always with an aspect of enhancing his own holdings.

If the CEOs of all other companies behaved like him, and were able to without being imprisoned, the entire concept of the stock market would stop working because investors would have no ability to judge the potential value of their investments.

If you are unclear on what I mean, I can clarify, because I could probably write a book called "Lies that Elon Musk has made, which he knew were lies when he made them, and which he made to boost the value of his own holdings." It's not a short list, and it is not ambiguous.
Apparently he is backing out of his purchase of Twitter. He is a genius but I am not a fan of the guy.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 09:11 PM   #32

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
When Elon Musk Dreams, His Employees Have Nightmares

Time will tell, I suspect. Rocket Boy has done some amazing, game changing things, with a trail of tears in the rear view mirror.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/01/o...a-twitter.html
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 09:29 PM   #33

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:

I’m way clear on what you mean and more importantly what motivates your hate.

I see believing in any business person as they are a character on it’s a wonderful life puts me in line to ride a flying unicorn.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 09:24 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangstyle View Post
Apparently he is backing out of his purchase of Twitter. He is a genius but I am not a fan of the guy.
A lot of his ongoing success is that he has enough money that he can just ignore the rules.

Musk signed a binding agreement to complete the purchase of Twitter. He also repeatedly violated the terms of the agreement. For weeks he publicly mused that he might not honor the agreement. Twitter responded by hoping that Musk would do what he was contractually obligated to do. And now Musk says the deal is off, which is basically what I predicted on day one (follow up to my previous prediction that he would not buy Twitter before the "agreement" was announced.) Double right!

It's a fundamental problem. If one has enough capital, then the rules don't apply to you but they still apply to everyone else.

It's also worth pointing out that Musk was going to fund his Twitter deal (that was never going to happen.....but whatever) by having Tesla leverag it's own stock, which carried a large risk of downward pressure on Tesla stock prices. That plan was in no way a good move for Tesla as a company. Do Tesla shareholders want to take on risk so that Elon Musk can buy himself a different company? Normal CEOs are required to act in the best interests of the shareholders......but, welp.
Old 07-09-2022, 10:08 AM   #35

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
A lot of his ongoing success is that he has enough money that he can just ignore the rules.

Musk signed a binding agreement to complete the purchase of Twitter. He also repeatedly violated the terms of the agreement. For weeks he publicly mused that he might not honor the agreement. Twitter responded by hoping that Musk would do what he was contractually obligated to do. And now Musk says the deal is off, which is basically what I predicted on day one (follow up to my previous prediction that he would not buy Twitter before the "agreement" was announced.) Double right!

It's a fundamental problem. If one has enough capital, then the rules don't apply to you but they still apply to everyone else.

It's also worth pointing out that Musk was going to fund his Twitter deal (that was never going to happen.....but whatever) by having Tesla leverag it's own stock, which carried a large risk of downward pressure on Tesla stock prices. That plan was in no way a good move for Tesla as a company. Do Tesla shareholders want to take on risk so that Elon Musk can buy himself a different company? Normal CEOs are required to act in the best interests of the shareholders......but, welp.
I agree with you, wholeheartedly. I think it’s sad that money can purchase your way out of accountability.

I’m looking forward to seeing Musk have to pay the $1b exit fee, but that will take a court action to rule and enforce.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 10:33 AM   #36

Trailer: 2022 21NE
Weren't there some unmet stipulations to the deal as well?
Crazypill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 11:14 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazypill View Post
Weren't there some unmet stipulations to the deal as well?
Plausibly, no. I think if you want to understand Elon's complaint, it can be summed up thusly:

Elon committed to purchase the company for $54.20 / share.
Twitter closed at $36.81 / share at the end of trading Friday.
Old 07-09-2022, 11:18 AM   #38

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
I agree with you, wholeheartedly. I think it’s sad that money can purchase your way out of accountability.

I’m looking forward to seeing Musk have to pay the $1b exit fee, but that will take a court action to rule and enforce.
So true, I remember the rich paying a $10k fine to get out of being drafted during the Vietnam draft, the poor got drafted and the rich stayed home....
Old 07-11-2022, 03:47 PM   #39
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:

The article, and my original post, was about towing with the F150 Lightning, and whether it's practical - not about Elon Musk.

Let's try to stay on topic. If you want to start your own blog or a website with the theme of 'all the evil Elon Musk has done', knock yourself out.
Old 07-13-2022, 06:18 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape 19 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The article, and my original post, was about towing with the F150 Lightning, and whether it's practical - not about Elon Musk.

Let's try to stay on topic. If you want to start your own blog or a website with the theme of 'all the evil Elon Musk has done', knock yourself out.
Thanks for posting this video, as it is a topic of conversation amongst by trailer friends. We have had a VW id.4 electric sedan that we picked up last August. It came with 3 years of free charging at VW's charging network, Electrify America. We just took our longest trip to date, down to LA and back from Santa Cruz County and experienced a little range anxiety along the way. We charged on the way down at an EA Station. The first station we pulled into had 4 chargers and two were inoperable. I made a call to EA to see if they could get them going, but no luck. The other two chargers were vehicles that were only around 30-40%, so the EA rep directed us to one in Bakersfield, ended up going about 10 miles off the highway towards town. That was really the only hiccup, and I was willing to detour because the power was free. One thing not mentioned in the video was using AC/Heat. Since it was close to 100 degrees in the Salinas Valley and we were fully charged in Pismo Beach, we ran the AC quite a bit, and that gauge just plummeted.
Kwh for that part of the trip was around 2.9, without the AC about 3.6.

I didn't see one spot that was suitable for a truck with a trailer to charge, Would need to drop the E19!

Larry
LarryLSB is offline   Reply With Quote