towing with Audi Q7 3.0 ? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2017, 10:56 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Question towing with Audi Q7 3.0 ?

Hi all

I know Sailor231 owns an Audi Q7 3.0, and is currently considering a 21'.....

Anyone tow with one?

Likes? Dislikes? Optional items they got / did not get on the Audi Q7 3.0?

We have a 2017 21' and while our Acura MDX is ok.... in the long run i'd like to have more torque for freeway merging, and for climbing mountains.

No rush to upgrade... i just want to be ready when the time is right. :-)

We make about 3 trips with the Escape a year, so are not full timing.

A pickup is not a choice, and my wife wants a very nice SUV to tow with... the Audi Q7 3.0 has 700 lb-ish / 7700 lb limits, and with the big engine lots of torque. My wife strongly prefers the look of the Audi Q7 3.0 over pretty much any other similar SUV.

I'd get the air suspension, as it is supposedly amazingly smooth at all times, plus does auto leveling when towing.

Unclear if we would keep our e2 WDH - i'd do the research when the time came (plus things can change model year to model year)

thanks for any Audi Q7 3.0 owners chiming in here.

John
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:47 AM   #2

p.s. check out this cool feature on the Audi Q7 - the trailer assistant - for backing up.

neat!

I really wonder if it would work with a 21' Escape.... I only wonder if somehow the big trailer would block the sensors at all? Perhaps a non-issue....

see it in action here

and an animation here

John
Old 05-27-2017, 01:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
I really wonder if it would work with a 21' Escape.... I only wonder if somehow the big trailer would block the sensors at all? Perhaps a non-issue...
First, an Escape 21' is not unusually big for this tow vehicle.

I assume that the trailer body won't block the sensors, because the system won't be looking for anything past the trailer - it only needs to watch the trailer itself. Ford does this by having the owner place a patterned sticker on the tongue of the trailer, then watching that pattern with the camera in the truck's tailgate to see the angle of the trailer; the driver turns a knob on the dash to tell the vehicle what angle there should be between tug and trailer, and the system turns the steering as necessary to achieve that. Audi doesn't freely offer their manuals online (need a VIN) so I haven't read the instructions, but my guess is that that they do something similar.

Edit: I found online access to the owner's manual for a 2017 Q7 (in a stupid non-downloadable form), and I don't see any indication of Trailer Assistant. I know that VW/Audi has had this for years, but maybe it's not yet in the Q7 for North America?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 02:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
First, an Escape 21' is not unusually big for this tow vehicle.

I assume that the trailer body won't block the sensors, because the system won't be looking for anything past the trailer - it only needs to watch the trailer itself. Ford does this by having the owner place a patterned sticker on the tongue of the trailer, then watching that pattern with the camera in the truck's tailgate to see the angle of the trailer; the driver turns a knob on the dash to tell the vehicle what angle there should be between tug and trailer, and the system turns the steering as necessary to achieve that. Audi doesn't freely offer their manuals online (need a VIN) so I haven't read the instructions, but my guess is that that they do something similar.

Edit: I found online access to the owner's manual for a 2017 Q7 (in a stupid non-downloadable form), and I don't see any indication of Trailer Assistant. I know that VW/Audi has had this for years, but maybe it's not yet in the Q7 for North America?
Heya Brian

Given that the trailers in the videos i linked to are very small - that was my comment about "big trailer"

Cool you found some info... maybe not in North America yet?

neat technology.

john
Old 05-27-2017, 04:20 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I usually don't watch online videos because they're a lot of data on my mobile connection for little value, and this one is about 20% pointless video of an animated car towing a trailer forward, but I gave it a shot anyway. It shows a nice set of controls, with:
  • the same switch used for Trailer Assistant as for parking;
  • a rotary knob used to command the target trailer angle, just like the Ford system; and
  • the backup display showing the trailer tongue with the target angle superimposed on it.
There is no technical explanation of how it works - and the audio track is just pointless music - but the introductory diagram indicates the use of both the camera and a sensor of some sort at the ball mount. It may be monitoring the tongue of the trailer from the ball mount, using some sort of proximity sensor.

I had another look at the manual, but other than a similar display to help alignment when backing up to hitch up a trailer, I can't find any reference this feature.

There was a great VW commercial showing high-speed trailer backing, but it was a stunt not actually using this system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Given that the trailers in the videos i linked to are very small - that was my comment about "big trailer"
The form of the trailer tongue may be more significant. The kayak trailer has a straight tongue, not an A-frame. Here, straight tongues are common only on boat trailers, rental trailers (because they allow a greater angle before damage), and small utility trailers. Even on travel trailers, Europeans use more straight tongues. The system may only recognize the trailer angle with a straight tongue, but that's just speculation.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I usually don't watch online videos because they're a lot of data on my mobile connection for little value, and this one is about 20% pointless video of an animated car towing a trailer forward, but I gave it a shot anyway. It shows a nice set of controls, with:
  • the same switch used for Trailer Assistant as for parking;
  • a rotary knob used to command the target trailer angle, just like the Ford system; and
  • the backup display showing the trailer tongue with the target angle superimposed on it.
There is no technical explanation of how it works - and the audio track is just pointless music - but the introductory diagram indicates the use of both the camera and a sensor of some sort at the ball mount. It may be monitoring the tongue of the trailer from the ball mount, using some sort of proximity sensor.

I had another look at the manual, but other than a similar display to help alignment when backing up to hitch up a trailer, I can't find any reference this feature.

There was a great VW commercial showing high-speed trailer backing, but it was a stunt not actually using this system.

The form of the trailer tongue may be more significant. The kayak trailer has a straight tongue, not an A-frame. Here, straight tongues are common only on boat trailers, rental trailers (because they allow a greater angle before damage), and small utility trailers. Even on travel trailers, Europeans use more straight tongues. The system may only recognize the trailer angle with a straight tongue, but that's just speculation.
Thanks for the good info.

John
Old 05-30-2017, 09:40 AM   #7

Trailer: 2021 21NE
I have 2017 Q7 with tow package. Have not towed yet. I hope to install a new P3 brake controller this week and then I will be ready to go.

1. The European and maybe other foreign markets, not US, do include the trailer back up feature. They also have a different ball set up that tucks itself away when not in use.

2. The Q7 manual prohibits use of weight distribution hitch. From what I have been told and what I have read, this is controversial. Some use WD anyway. Some reinforce the factory installed receiver to strengthen its connection to the vehicle in a way to reduce the moment on the attachment between hitch and vehicle. I talked to 2 hitch companies and this was their recommendation if I wanted WD hitch.

3. Tekonsha Tech Bulletin TB0021 rev 15 dated 11-12-08 applied to 2005-2008 Volkswagen Touareg, Porsche Cayenne, and I assume, the Q7 (same chassis). The bulletin applies to connecting one of their brake controllers to the factory brake control wiring. The bulletin requires a relay be added to between the controller and the Q7 brake controller wiring. I called the Tekonsha (actually Horizon Global) tech line and was told that the relay is not required on the current Q7. I don't know what to believe.

4. I have read that the ball sold by Audi for 2015 and earlier fits the 2017 Q7 even though Audi says it is not compatible. I bought a ball that is about 1.25" longer shaft and will go with the reduced capacity this entails.

5. A WD hitch may interfere with the operation of the air suspension system on the Audi. I believe it does. Talk to a competent hitch company with foreign auto experience before committing.

6. Does aftermarket sway control interfere with the Audi ESC and other stability systems? I don't know? I watched a video that I think was sponsored by Audi that showed an Airstream being towed through an obstacle course. I do not believe they used aftermarket sway control. You can probably find this using Google.

If you would like more detail on any of the above, you can contact me and I can provide more detail of what I have found but I can not tell you answers for some of the questions or issues because I do not know who to believe or what to believe due to so many contradictions out there. I am going to try going with out WD hitch and Escape 19 on 2017 Q7 with factory tow package and no air suspension.

Bob
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
I have 2017 Q7 with tow package. Have not towed yet. I hope to install a new P3 brake controller this week and then I will be ready to go.

1. The European and maybe other foreign markets, not US, do include the trailer back up feature. They also have a different ball set up that tucks itself away when not in use.

2. The Q7 manual prohibits use of weight distribution hitch. From what I have been told and what I have read, this is controversial. Some use WD anyway. Some reinforce the factory installed receiver to strengthen its connection to the vehicle in a way to reduce the moment on the attachment between hitch and vehicle. I talked to 2 hitch companies and this was their recommendation if I wanted WD hitch.

3. Tekonsha Tech Bulletin TB0021 rev 15 dated 11-12-08 applied to 2005-2008 Volkswagen Touareg, Porsche Cayenne, and I assume, the Q7 (same chassis). The bulletin applies to connecting one of their brake controllers to the factory brake control wiring. The bulletin requires a relay be added to between the controller and the Q7 brake controller wiring. I called the Tekonsha (actually Horizon Global) tech line and was told that the relay is not required on the current Q7. I don't know what to believe.

4. I have read that the ball sold by Audi for 2015 and earlier fits the 2017 Q7 even though Audi says it is not compatible. I bought a ball that is about 1.25" longer shaft and will go with the reduced capacity this entails.

5. A WD hitch may interfere with the operation of the air suspension system on the Audi. I believe it does. Talk to a competent hitch company with foreign auto experience before committing.

6. Does aftermarket sway control interfere with the Audi ESC and other stability systems? I don't know? I watched a video that I think was sponsored by Audi that showed an Airstream being towed through an obstacle course. I do not believe they used aftermarket sway control. You can probably find this using Google.

If you would like more detail on any of the above, you can contact me and I can provide more detail of what I have found but I can not tell you answers for some of the questions or issues because I do not know who to believe or what to believe due to so many contradictions out there. I am going to try going with out WD hitch and Escape 19 on 2017 Q7 with factory tow package and no air suspension.

Bob
Holy cow Bob - thanks for the awesome list of info. Much appreciated. Very helpful.

Sorry that so many bits of information are conflicting. Frustrating!

We are lucky in that we have not bought the Q7 yet - and won't for a good while.... so we have the option of adding the Air Suspension if / when the time comes.

I'll send you a private message so yes you can please send me what detailed info you have. Much appreciated.

I assume you like the Q7, as a daily driver? I'd be interested in that info as well.

thanks, and best regards,

John
Old 06-06-2017, 09:53 PM   #9

Update - I had a nice 30 minute test drive of a Q7 3.0 yesterday.

Both city and highway.

Holy cow it is a stunning vehicle!

I am blown away.

I will start saving for it now. :-/

;-)

John
Old 08-02-2017, 01:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post

Bob
Hey Bob - any updates about towing with Audi Q7?

John
Old 08-02-2017, 09:37 AM   #11

Trailer: 2021 21NE
John, I have not towed yet. My trailer isn't due until end of November. In the interim, I may rent a trailer to see how it works.

Bob
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote