Towing with F-150 Powerboost - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2022, 10:10 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjl View Post
it's mostly going to be quiet and then kick on just to juice up.
Well, as they say, there ain't no free lunch.

I'll be interested to see long term what this adds up to in fuel and engine hours on a very expensive engine.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 03:31 AM   #22

Trailer: 2004 Pioneer
Are the tires on the trailer rated for 80 MPH?
WanderingWinston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 06:54 AM   #23

Trailer: 21
I don’t think so n just curious as to why you would want to tow your escape 80 miles an hour
Old 07-29-2022, 07:18 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Does the 7.2kW generator on the Ecoboost hybrid have enough power to run an AC unit? I have a Dometic on my 2017 21C, without soft start (though my wife and I are seriously considering putting a deposit on a 5.0).
RF Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 08:42 AM   #25

Trailer: to be built- 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF Paul View Post
Does the 7.2kW generator on the Ecoboost hybrid have enough power to run an AC unit? I have a Dometic on my 2017 21C, without soft start (though my wife and I are seriously considering putting a deposit on a 5.0).
there's a good amount of videos with people showing them running everything on the RV, and unless the truck needs to top off the battery it's not even running the engine
mrjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 09:07 AM   #26

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I recommend solar as it is out of the way, environmentally friendly, silent, and simple to use. Generators should be left at the store, IMHO. Noisy, pollutes and needs fuel.
Jim, you got guts. Made me smile.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 09:08 AM   #27

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21 NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF Paul View Post
Yes, I ran mine for about 3 hours as a test last weekend. The truck produces 7.2 kw at max output and the AC was only drawing about 1.2kw so more than enough power.
GregColdewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 09:18 AM   #28

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingWinston View Post
Are the tires on the trailer rated for 80 MPH?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
I don’t think so n just curious as to why you would want to tow your escape 80 miles an hour
In case these comments are aimed at my post, I said we upped our speed a little in 80mph zones so we wouldn’t impede traffic too much. I didn’t say we went 80mph.

I don’t know why you would want to tow at 80mph either.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 12:00 PM   #29

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Alas, to date (through model year 2023) the PowerBoost / Pro-Power is only available with the full 4-door SuperCab (a constraint given the way its components fit in the chassis with the current design); fine for many but a deal-breaker for we die-hard fans of the shorter SuperCab
And it's only going to get worse, you had better hang onto your 22 Super Cab Lariat. Ford just discontinued the Lariat trim level and up in the Super Cab for 2023. Now the highest trim level you can get the Super Cab in is XLT. That being the case I would say they will never offer the Power boost with the Super Cab.

Lariat Loses Super Cab
RIP, Lariat SCAB. For 2022, you can get a SCAB (Super Cab, the one with shorty rear clamshell doors) in XL, XLT, and Lariat trims; 2023 drops the Lariat. That leaves the XL and XLT as the only trims to have all three cabs (Regular, Super Cab, and SuperCrew), with all other trims configured exclusively as four-door SuperCrew only. (from Motor Trend July 20, 2022)

This is a bummer for us as we were getting ready to order a Super Cab Lariat. Now we are trying to decide whether to go with SuperCab XLT , which would save us quit a bit of money, or get the Super Crew Lariat and 5.5' bed.

Try and find a Super Cab new or used anywhere and you can see why they are doing this. They probably sell hardly any and especially in the higher trim packages.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 05:44 PM   #30

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Well, as they say, there ain't no free lunch.

I'll be interested to see long term what this adds up to in fuel and engine hours on a very expensive engine.
Engine wear is a potential issue, but most buyers of new vehicles sell them long before that will matter, and engine hours are not a selling feature (only the age and odometer reading).

Fuel consumption of any modern automotive gasoline engine will likely be lower than the consumption by a small engine for the same produced energy, especially when comparing to the primitive carbureted engines used in portable generators.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:40 AM   #31

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post
And it's only going to get worse, you had better hang onto your 22 Super Cab Lariat. Ford just discontinued the Lariat trim level and up in the Super Cab for 2023. Now the highest trim level you can get the Super Cab in is XLT. That being the case I would say they will never offer the Power boost with the Super Cab.

Lariat Loses Super Cab
RIP, Lariat SCAB. For 2022, you can get a SCAB (Super Cab, the one with shorty rear clamshell doors) in XL, XLT, and Lariat trims; 2023 drops the Lariat. That leaves the XL and XLT as the only trims to have all three cabs (Regular, Super Cab, and SuperCrew), with all other trims configured exclusively as four-door SuperCrew only. (from Motor Trend July 20, 2022)

This is a bummer for us as we were getting ready to order a Super Cab Lariat. Now we are trying to decide whether to go with SuperCab XLT , which would save us quit a bit of money, or get the Super Crew Lariat and 5.5' bed.

Try and find a Super Cab new or used anywhere and you can see why they are doing this. They probably sell hardly any and especially in the higher trim packages.
I was in a local Ford dealer Tuesday for repairs on our 2015. I had spoken a couple of weeks ago to a salesman there about ordering a 2023 Lariat Supercab, so asked him if he knew anything about it being discontinued as I had read it on this post. He said he didn't but the I could still order a 2022, something I thought was too late to do. So we should hear back today if the order he put in is accepted by Ford, apparently today is the deadline. If so we should have our new truck by October or November, much sooner than had we waited until ordering a 2023 and would not have been able to get the Supercab. He was able to confirm that the Supercab would no longer be offered above XLT trim.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 11:39 AM   #32

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
I was in a local Ford dealer Tuesday for repairs on our 2015. I had spoken a couple of weeks ago to a salesman there about ordering a 2023 Lariat Supercab, so asked him if he knew anything about it being discontinued as I had read it on this post. He said he didn't but the I could still order a 2022, something I thought was too late to do. So we should hear back today if the order he put in is accepted by Ford, apparently today is the deadline. If so we should have our new truck by October or November, much sooner than had we waited until ordering a 2023 and would not have been able to get the Supercab. He was able to confirm that the Supercab would no longer be offered above XLT trim.
I wish you the best but everything published by Ford states that Retail Customer Special Orders for model year 2022 closed on May 13 (later for dealer stock orders, fleet, and gov't buyers). Perhaps your dealer is looking at placing your order as a late "2022 MY Dealer Stock" vehicle tailored to your specification, I hope that works out to your benefit and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Please do update us on that.

Yes, the Model Year 2023 Dealer Order Guide is published and there is no SuperCab in the Lariat trim . An unfortunate editing error still references SuperCab on the Lariat page headers in the first rev 2023 Dealer Order Guide but alas there's no line-item or ordering code for that.

A carefully specified XLT can get you close, but there's still some things that cannot be had at that trim which can be had on the Lariat. The two things that caused me to step-up to the Lariat are the fully-powered trailer tow mirrors and the fully-powered tailgate (the latter being very helpful when hitching a 5.0 Escape solo). Leather seating and some other gizmos only available on the Lariat were nice but weren't 'make-or-break' features for me.

The 4WD system on the XLT and lower trims is also a bit different, it lacks the "4WD Automatic" mode, but that may not be critical for you. Everything else I ordered for my 'dream tow vehicle' can be had at the XLT trim including all the same tow packages and the incredibly great 360-degree cam package. Mine is the "500A Base" Lariat, that, too, has been eliminated in 2023, now only the "501A mid-level" and "502A high-level" packages for the Lariat (with attendant higher cost as those have more standard features than the Base Lariat package).

EDIT - just noticed you're in Canada, all of the above is US info, yours may vary

Yeah, I'm feeling very lucky, I came close to deferring my SuperCab Lariat order 'till 2023 model year, I certainly had no notion that it would be discontinued at the Lariat trim level. Pure luck (karma?) that I apparently scored one of the last of that combination. No, I did not elect to go with the PowerBoost.
Attached Thumbnails
02 R.jpg  
Old 08-11-2022, 02:56 PM   #33

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Hi Alan, that link you posted shows a cut off date in May but also says new 2023's can be ordered in July. That's the info I was going by when I first talked to the salesman under the impression it was too late for 2022 orders. Then he told me that ordering for 2023 begins only in October. I guess Canada dates are different. I've not heard from him yet today to confirm the order went through but he said if it does the truck will be built in October.

I thought this might be the last truck we'll likely own since once we finish camping we'll likely go back to a car or SUV. So we figured we should treat ourselves. We are getting the power tailgate, looking forward to that as my arms have never been that strong and I usually hook up myself. I really wanted the 6.5 foot bed thus the Supercab was the only option since I didn't want the extra long Crewcab with 6.5 bed.

If it wasn't for qualifying for the XPlan pricing for the truck we likely would not have ordered a Lariat since the retail price for this truck as equipped is over $72k and it's not easy to get any deal these days. I also hate dickering.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 03:48 PM   #34

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Hi Alan, that link you posted shows a cut off date in May but also says new 2023's can be ordered in July. .....
Yeah, sorry, I didn't realize 'till after posting you are in Canada and so all the US info may be null and void.

Good luck with your Canadian order!
Old 08-11-2022, 03:58 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Yeah, sorry, I didn't realize 'till after posting you are in Canada and so all the US info may be null and void.

Good luck with your Canadian order!
Yes, there are differences. For example only the smaller gas tank was available in Canada with the SuperCab. Fortunately that hasn't turned out to be any problem.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 02:27 PM   #36

Trailer: SOLD - 2022 Escape 21NE
Last year I ordered (and received on time!) a Lariat (501a) Powerboost. It's the best truck I've ever owned. This model has the 7.2 kW Propower inverter. I have a manual transfer switch in my house that will allow me to run critical systems in my house, powered from the truck, in the event of an electrical outage

This last month I bought a 21NE which has an Isotherm AC/DC fridge and a Houghton airconditioner/heatpump (owner installed).The other appliances/accessories are factory supplied. 2 solar panels, no inverter, flooded batteries (which are probably going to be replaced with Li ion next year).

Towing - yes this truck can tow. It's worth mentioning that cargo capacity can be an issue with the Powerboost, especially if you get all the options. Mine is rated for 1430 lbs; I don't have the massage seats, powered tailgate, or glass roof. Those things seem like dead-weight to me. The 21NE registered ~ 530lbs on the tongue, going by the spring-scale thingy that come with the trailer. It's a good match for my truck (I ordered both the Max Tow and the FX4 package). Still gives me roughly 500 lbs of cargo in the truck bed.

There is no lack of power from the engine. I'd also like to mention that the hybrid motor does add power to the drivetrain when in tow mode, increasing the torque at the wheels, which helps to reduce the demand on the turbos. So yes, you have the extra weight of battery+motor+wiring+cooling, but it's still an advantage overall.

When I tested the Propower system with the 21NE, I was able to run the A/C, the electric water heater, the fans, the lights, pretty much everything except the fridge (direct current) from the truck, and never draw more than 1800 watts. This is about 1/3 of the capacity of the inverter, but here is something to take note of: the 7200 watt output from the truck is @ 240 volt. When you use the L14-30 adapter to connect to the RV 3pin 30amp connector, you are only able to access half of the Propower circuit. On my truck it registers as Bank B, leaving Bank A untapped. This is not really a problem, as 1) the trailer doesn't need that much juice, and 2) you can still access the power from Bank A using the 120v plugs in the truckbed, and 3) if you get a splitter type dogbone, you can power 2 trailers with 1 truck.

Lastly, the mileage is pretty good overall. My summer average, not towing, is 25MPG. Winter is 22, resulting in 23.5 over a 12 month period. Towing the Escape I'm seeing about 14 MPG (500 miles thus far).

I'm pretty happy with this setup!
Tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 10:24 PM   #37

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
I'm getting similar mileage to Tosh both empty and loaded. Last week we were in a heavily forested campground on the Olympic Peninsula so I needed to top up the batteries every day. In generator mode the gas motor only ran for 2 minutes and then would shut down for 20 minutes. I charged for a few hours and the actual run time was 12 minutes. Another bonus of the powerboost is that I am getting almost 1/3 of the milage in electric only mode. This means that when the truck has 210,000 miles on it, the engine has only had 140,000 miles and almost zero idle time.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote