towing with F150 eco boost - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2022, 07:11 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
towing with F150 eco boost

some of you might have seen my Tacoma thread I am considering getting 2022 F150 super cab 4x4 2.7 eco for towing my 19 escape. I like to get some feed back from F150 owners good and bad. this would be my first ford since the 1990's. I few things come to mind

expected MPG towing and not towing?

reliability long term?

will I need tow mirrors for a 19' escape?

will the stock suspension handle the tongue weight and some cargo?

If i order I will get the 36 gallon fuel take, But thats not something you can find on the lot.those without do you wish you had it?

3.55 vs 3.73 read end. If i order I was thinging the 3.55 for better fuel?

Is the inverter worth getting or should i just stick with my honda 2000?

Anything I am over looking?
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 07:40 AM   #2
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
We have a 2015 F150 w/ a 2.7l. Per your questions:

expected MPG towing and not towing? 12-13 MPG (at 65 mph) and 22 MPG

reliability long term? No major problems at ~50k miles. F150 is known for having a hard downshift. I have figured out how to get the transmission to stop that. After towing (in tow mode), the transmission will tend to shift down hard. If you use the super sport mode for ~10 miles after towing, that will mostly stop.

will I need tow mirrors for a 19' escape? No.

will the stock suspension handle the tongue weight and some cargo? No problem. Only item is the E2 hitch shank does not drop enough to tow the trailer level. I needed to order a shank from Fastway to drop the trailer another 1.5".

If i order I will get the 36 gallon fuel take, But thats not something you can find on the lot.those without do you wish you had it? I have the large tank. It is great if you can get it.

3.55 vs 3.73 read end. If i order I was thinging the 3.55 for better fuel? may be. I did not consider that. My truck was not a special order; it was on the lot.

Is the inverter worth getting or should i just stick with my honda 2000? The inverter is nice, but not required. Again, it came on the truck in the XLT configuration in 2015.

Added comment - If you are ordering the truck, I would consider going with the 3.5l. The 2.7l does have plenty of power, but does not seem to get significantly better mileage.
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 10:30 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
I agree with much of what MVA has said. We also have a 2015 with the 2.7. We have 155,000km on it and has been problem free other than differential just before warranty expired. We don't need tow mirrors for our 5.0TA. We don't have inverter and have not needed generator except for 13 nights in Jan. in AZ without power and used generator for an hour or so in morning and again in late afternoon.

We've not had the shifting problem that MVA had, and doubt you'd have that with the newer 10 speed tranny. I'm glad we have the 36 gallon tank. We drove from Sioux Falls SD last month to Fort Leavenworth KS (not towing), drove around that area for a week, and filled up just before coming home.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 10:55 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
We had a first year ecoboost but bought a 2017 ecoboost for the aluminum body, 10 speed transmission and a few key engine upgrades. Since our truck is mainly for towing we got the bigger engine both times but with the excessive power pulling our 19, I am sure the smaller engine will do fine.

Our trailer tows and the truck sits just fine with no WDH with a generator, ladder and firewood etc in the pickup bed. The tongue weight is 420 lbs.

The 10 speed transmission can more than compensate for the rear end so get one that will give you the best gas mileage.

The optional step and handle that pulls out of the tailgate is almost a must unless you want to use a small ladder to get into the pickup bed.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 11:17 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
We've towed our 19 with a 2WD 2.7L Ecoboost Lariat, Supercrew, since 2015. We average 15 towing and 25 not towing.
Quote:
reliability long term?
We've never had an issue with the truck. We've had 3. The current one is a 2021.
Quote:
will I need tow mirrors for a 19' escape?
You may not "need" them, but you'll benefit from them. We've had the power folding and telescoping towing mirrors on the last two trucks and we love them.
Quote:
will the stock suspension handle the tongue weight and some cargo?
Yes. With ease.
Quote:
If i order I will get the 36 gallon fuel take, But thats not something you can find on the lot.those without do you wish you had it?
We've had the 36 gallon fuel tank on all 3 trucks, and would not be without it.
Quote:
3.55 vs 3.73 read end. If i order I was thinging the 3.55 for better fuel?
You will get better mileage with the stock axle ratio. You don't need a higher ratio to tow a lightweight trailer like a 19, but you may benefit from it if you ever happen to tow something heavier. Same goes for the tow package.
Quote:
Is the inverter worth getting or should i just stick with my honda 2000?
The new inverter generators are very versatile. If your purpose is just to power the AC on occasion, you could just keep using the Honda, but having that power on hand wherever the truck goes, whether towing or not, is really nice.
Quote:
Anything I am over looking?
Make sure the truck includes the integrated trailer brake controller. It's one of the best out there, and it integrates seamlessly with the dash systems.
Old 05-03-2022, 11:41 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post

We've towed our 19 with a 2WD 2.7L Ecoboost Lariat, Supercrew, since 2015.
Same model for us since 2018.

I consider it my best tow vehicle ever. And that covers a lot of vehicles.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 12:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 21'
Quote:
I have a 2017 F-150 with the 2.7, 3.55, and 6 speed towing a 21C. I get 12-14 towing and 23-25 no towing typically.

reliability long term? No issues yet.

will I need tow mirrors for a 19' escape? I don't and my 21C is wider than a 19.

will the stock suspension handle the tongue weight and some cargo? We carry cargo and have no issues.

If i order I will get the 36 gallon fuel take, But thats not something you can find on the lot.those without do you wish you had it? I have it and like it.

3.55 vs 3.73 read end. If i order I was thinging the 3.55 for better fuel? I have the 3.55 and would do it again.

Is the inverter worth getting or should i just stick with my honda 2000? I wouldn't get it, but I use mostly solar, not a generator for electricity camping. I'd be more likely to use it for non-camping uses.

Anything I am over looking? If you are not used to full truck size, test drive it and make sure to see if it fits where you will park it (garage or...). It is definitely larger than a lot of vehicles and some people have been surprised.

We generally love it as a tow vehicle and would do it again.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 01:28 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 19 (July 2018) pulled by F-150 (3.5 ecoboost)
We pull our 19 with a 2018 F150 3.5 ecoboost and find that it is more than enough for the task over level ground or in the mountains, especially with the 10 speed transmission in tow/haul mode. This is our first experience towing so I have nothing else to compare with but it sure has made learning and the overall experience a positive one.

The truck is a 4x4 supercrew cab, with 5.5 ft. bed, 3.55 rear end, tow mirrors, extended range fuel tank, and the tow package with integrated brake controller. Though not strictly needed, we had Escape set us up with the basic weight distribution hitch and find that ride is very smooth and stable. I'll sometimes bring the trailer home from the storage lot without hooking up the bars and do notice a bit of porposing, though it's noticeable it is not concerning. We get about 13-14 mpg towing, depending on speed and terrain, and about 18-20 when not.

I really like the peace of mind and flexibility I get from having the extended range tank and glad to have the integrated brake controller and the simplicity that brings.

The tow mirrors are great to have when towing and not so great when not. Even when not extended (and I typically don't tow with them extended) they are big and either get in the way or block my forward view through the side window. This being my first full-sized truck, I am not accustomed to the width and on a narrow road am often afraid that I am going to clip a tree branch or mailbox (or an oncoming truck that also has tow mirrors). It hasn't happened yet so I may be concerned over nothing. That said, they are wonderful when towing as I can see the truck's rear tires, the trailer's tires, and any vehicles right alongside me or the trailer. They are also super handy when backing into those tight, treed campsites. I would get them again mostly due to the added margin of safety when towing.

As was mentioned, I would get the tailgate step for ease of getting in and out of the bed.

No issues so far, though I have had to replace the battery and rear brakes. I thought it was very early for both but I can somewhat understand the battery as the truck hasn't been getting much use this past year. At 35k I was surprised to be told I needed new brakes. As I reflect on it, I think I was just taken by a service adviser who was hungry for business, and I didn't take time to look at them myself.

I can't speak to the inverter. We have the 400amp in the cab, nothing in the bed.

As for the bed, an extra 12" of length would be very useful especially for some of the things we take camping (I'm thinking of the clam screen shelter). This makes me wonder if I might have been better served by the supercab rather than the supercrew though we utilize the extra space in the cab and it is more secure. I really wouldn't want a longer truck, so for me it's a trade off.

All-in-all I am very happy with the truck and feel very safe and confident towing down the road.
Old 05-03-2022, 02:57 PM   #9

Trailer: 21
Seems I’m one of the odd one here. I tow with Silverado 1500 5.3.. would of loved to have a bigger tank (22gallon) . I’ve searched n they don’t seem to make a bigger tank for it. But then my searching skills stink
Old 05-03-2022, 04:22 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
there's probably a larger aftermarket tank for that Silverado, but maybe not. I'm finding tanks for all sorts of HD trucks (2500/3500). a full 36 gallon tank would be like 250 lbs taken off your payload. ah, a few vendors have aux tanks that fit in the front of the bed much like a truck toolbox, these are 'transfer tanks', you run your main tank down til its low, then switch on the transfer pump and it refills the main tank from the aux tank, then switch it off again.

interesting, the regular cab chevy 1500s have a 28 gallon tank, but the crew and double cabs have 22 gallons.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 05:13 PM   #11

Trailer: 2022 E19
I was browsing the local Ford dealer preowned trucks and they had a 2018 extended cab F150 4x4 with the 2.7 engine. They might have their information wrong but they posted the towing capacity at 5,000 lbs.
Would that be accurate ?
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 06:39 PM   #12

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
I've got a 2018 F150 Supercab with the 2.7L, 3.55, 10 speed, 4WD. I'm rated 7,600 towing but only 1,176 lbs payload. That payload number is the one to watch. I've also got the 36 gal tank and tow mirrors. We get around 13-15 mpg towing our 5.0, depending on headwinds. We keep our speed around 62 mph. No issues with 60,000 miles. Agree that those tow mirrors really stick out but I do like them when towing.
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 07:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
I was browsing the local Ford dealer preowned trucks and they had a 2018 extended cab F150 4x4 with the 2.7 engine. They might have their information wrong but they posted the towing capacity at 5,000 lbs.
Would that be accurate ?
From what I understand is it 5000 with bumper, 6000 with fords hitch. and 7600 with there tow package . so the way ford sees it if the truck leave the factory without there hitch its 5000 and if leaves with hitch and brake controller its 6,000 . If you add a tow package it is 7600. not sure if these numbers would be the same for 2018.
One thing that was made clear to me . If I order hitch and brake controller I would be rated 6000 and anything over would void my warranty. 6000 should be plenty for any escape
Old 05-03-2022, 08:48 PM   #14

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
Would that be accurate ?
It could be depending on the exact equipment / options on the specific truck.

Ask the dealer to print out a copy of the original window sticker and/or its detailed 'VIN-specific build specification sheet' (they can do both from dealer technical support systems) and take a picture of both the tire loading sticker and vehicle data sticker (both in the driver-door frame). Then compare the data on those to the data in the Ford Towing Guide for the applicable year to determine its rated 'towing capacity' as it left the factory.

Link to Ford webpage for previous year Towing Guides

Take care to note that there are several different 'towing packages' available for any given model year and the ratings may differ significantly between those.

Also note that any aftermarket parts may reduce the towing capacity (due to their weight or lower than original-spec tires/wheels, for example) but nothing can increase the factory-rated towing capacity.

Hope that helps, Happy Shopping!
Old 05-04-2022, 06:51 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 19, Tradewinds 24, Escape 5.0
Quote:
From what I understand is it 5000 with bumper, 6000 with fords hitch. and 7600 with there tow package . so the way ford sees it if the truck leave the factory without there hitch its 5000 and if leaves with hitch and brake controller its 6,000 . If you add a tow package it is 7600. not sure if these numbers would be the same for 2018.
One thing that was made clear to me . If I order hitch and brake controller I would be rated 6000 and anything over would void my warranty. 6000 should be plenty for any escape
Yep. We bought a 2018 2.7 off the lot in 2018 that had no towing package that was rated at 5,000. Had the dealer add a factory hitch and brake controller. Have had no problems towing a either a Scamp 19 or an Escape 5.0 in the Rockies.

I also paid for an extended warranty. Never had a warranty repair in 60k miles. At least 10,000 miles of that towing. I took it in once for a puff of smoke on start-up after sitting. They didn’t ask about my towing habits and they didn’t find anything wrong. Never happened again.

I’m not a Ford Truck guy, but I do like my truck and really like the eco boost.
Keith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 06:06 AM   #16

Thanks for all the post and feedback. I going to look into the tail gate step. not sure if I need that as I put a hard cover or camper shell on the truck. I think the hand rail might be to long for that. Now i need to decide between the 18" or 20" tires. 90% of the trucks i seen have the 20". I assume the 18" would have a softer ride and get better gas mileage. I also noticed on window stickers that the 2022 get 2mpg city and 1 mpg Highway less mileage than 2021 models. I questioned the gas mileage drop and was told it was from the removal of the auto start and stop. I don't see how that would affect highway MPG. the model i looking at is rated 17/23 Its making me consider the 5.0 at 16/22
Old 05-07-2022, 07:18 AM   #17

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Thanks for all the post and feedback. I going to look into the tail gate step. not sure if I need that as I put a hard cover or camper shell on the truck. I think the hand rail might be to long for that. Now i need to decide between the 18" or 20" tires. 90% of the trucks i seen have the 20". I assume the 18" would have a softer ride and get better gas mileage. I also noticed on window stickers that the 2022 get 2mpg city and 1 mpg Highway less mileage than 2021 models. I questioned the gas mileage drop and was told it was from the removal of the auto start and stop. I don't see how that would affect highway MPG. the model i looking at is rated 17/23 Its making me consider the 5.0 at 16/22
My friend and I both have the 3.5 EcoBoost and can say without question that this motor is fantastic for towing. No high revving (3500-4000 RPM) motor screaming in your ears going up those long steep grades. Just a quiet grump and whistle at around 2200 to 2500 RPM on those long steep grades.

I have a 2016 and he has a 2020. So there are a few minor differences but both pull exceptionally.

Around town and highway with 3.55 rear end I get 22.8 MPG on average when not towing. Stick my foot in to and spin the rear tires at 40 MPH and the mileage is not 22.8 MPG.

The 5.0 is a good motor but you really need to tow with each before you decide. My buddy did this by convincing the local Ford dealer to test tow his camper with each motor. Took a little convincing but he was able to compare the differences on the same road on the same day.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 08:30 AM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 19, Tradewinds 24, Escape 5.0
If you are looking for a low rpm torque monster v8 like you used to have in your dads old truck then get the eco boost. The 5.0 is a high performance v8 and will be running at high rpm while towing. It drove my friend crazy even though it was well under the redline. He went diesel.

My 5.0 Mustang does not run high rpms unless I downshift, otherwise it is less rpms than any eco-boost set up......
Keith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 10:52 AM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
20" wheels are just bad on street vehicles. their ONLY practical purposes is if they are also matched to larger brakes that won't fit under the smaller rims. otherwise this trend to really hugh wheels with very low profile tires is purely cosmetic and makes the ride worse, makes the tires more expensive, and greatly increases the odds of tire sidewall and/or rim/wheel damage from potholes and such. I prefer 16" wheels on trucks that will be going off road and/or carrying/towing heavy loads as that uses /70 or /75 series tires with actual sidewalls and not this /55 series low profile racer-boy stuff.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 03:00 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
The Ford F150 with Eco-Boost has been out for a few years now. Does anyone have one with really high mileage on it, like 150,000+? I'm interested in longevity.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote