Towing with RAM 1500 3.0L Diesel - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2017, 03:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Towing with RAM 1500 3.0L Diesel

Has anyone been towing a 19 or 21 with a RAM 1500 diesel? I searched the forums and only found a few with the fifth wheel. I am curious about the need for a weight distributing hitch to tow my 19 with this truck. I have towed a 24ft boat, a flatbed carrying a tractor, and an enclosed cargo trailer in the past (different half ton class trucks) without a WDH primarily because I had never heard of them years ago. I never had a problem but after doing research I have added the E2 Fastway to our Build Sheet. I figure it cannot hurt and, based on reading posts for other vehicles, it might help. Anyway, just curious about experiences with and without the WDH with the RAM 1500 diesel. I have the Outdoorsman package with the truck which included not only the tow package but also extra HD rear shocks and light truck (LT) tires instead of P tires both of which will be helpful. Thanks in advance for any info provided.
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:16 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I know of at least one member, Bill and Earline who use the diesel Ram. There are at least a half dozen owners using the gas Ram, including myself for both the 19 and 21 Escapes.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:01 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I know of at least one member, Bill and Earline who use the diesel Ram. There are at least a half dozen owners using the gas Ram, including myself for both the 19 and 21 Escapes.
Yes, but to address the OP's question, do you use any WDH?
Old 08-03-2017, 05:07 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Ram EcoDiesel

Our towing adventures with our 21 began with our older 4Runner. Based on comments from other owners, I bought an Andersen hitch for the 4Runner, and have used it even since. Our Ram has self-leveling air shocks, so I don't really know how much "squat" there would be without those air shocks. It is possible to disable the self-leveling, but I haven't tried that with the trailer. I also have not tried towing without the Andersen, so can't really discuss how much that helps with stability or squat. ETI has stopped selling the Andersen system, but ours has worked flawlessly. Maybe it's an old model.

I have tried not to brag about the excellent fuel mileage we get and the wonderful towing experience with the EcoDiesel and its 8-speed transmission, but since you asked, it's like night and day compared to our older model 4Runner. Now it's stress free, and I literally find myself checking the mirrors to see if it's still back there. Engine coolant temps are always fine, transmission temp is always fine. I generally go against the grain, and use cruise control most of the time. Tow/haul mode generally drops the gear by one, but what difference does it make with the diesel and eight gears. There's always a good gear and plenty of torque.

I mentioned mirrors. With the 21, I'm happy with the extendable towing mirrors. Probably with a 19, you might not need them. Try it and see.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:48 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I used an Andersen w/d set up with my Escape 21 and gas Ram 1500. With the smaller 19 I'm only using air shocks in the rear to keep the truck level. Mirror extensions for the 21, not needed for the narrower 19.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:20 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
I just bought a WDH (Fastway E2) similar to the one that ETI is supplying. My Ram tends to sag a bit after adding kayaks, generator, gas grill, and propane campfire and some roads induce a bit too much bounce for comfortable cruising. The Fastway E2 also reduces sway. You might find that with all that diesel torque you end up doing some fast passes in the mountains and swinging in an out of the right lane on the hills can sometimes feel a little unstable. I know many people say they don't need the sway control, but I've had a few "oh s#!^" moments where I think the control would have been helpful. The trailer is generally pretty stable but some roads have serious ruts created by the big rigs. Sometimes it feels like I'm jumping the wake
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:25 PM   #7

B&E - Thanks for the info. I suspect there will be little "squat" with the 19 if RAM's extra HD rear shocks (Outdoorsman package) are actually better than the normal HD shocks but only time will tell. After reading a lot about WDH's I think it is the way to go for peace of mind - based only on posts I have read since I have no experience with a WDH. Glad to hear you are happy with the 3.0L for towing a trailer (I have only towed my flatbed trailer with it so far with light loads). I very much love the truck. Great ride and great mileage. My mileage averages about 25-27 miles per gallon. The engine has plenty of low end grunt and is plenty fast enough for me since I have never been a speed demon. The 8-speed shifts smoothly and is a good match to the engine. I have the towing mirrors so I will be able to play around with them to determine which mode works best with my 19 once I get it.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:30 PM   #8

DavesEscape - thanks much for the information. I am now convinced that the E2 will be helpful in making our travels much safer. It should also help to reduce any sag I may have in the rear after hooking up the trailer. I most definitely do not want to "jump the wake" while towing a trailer. Used to enjoy that when younger but I no longer water ski.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:43 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Adventures View Post
I suspect there will be little "squat" with the 19 if RAM's extra HD rear shocks (Outdoorsman package) are actually better than the normal HD shocks...
Shock absorbers will not make any difference to the amount of squat due to the trailer load, unless they incorporate an additional spring as Jim's do (Jim's have air springs on them; there are also shocks with coil springs on them). The basic function of shocks is resist motion (to dampen out oscillations); they don't hold up the weight. Since the Ram trucks offer optional full air suspension, it would make no sense for them to have "heavy duty" shocks with air springs.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:36 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Adventures View Post
Glad to hear you are happy with the 3.0L for towing a trailer
I've got the Hemi but the diesel is a close match for torque. Other than the diesel, the vehicles are pretty much the same.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:50 AM   #11

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
ram 1500 eco diesel

I just got an e-mail from Dave Smith in Kellogg Idaho He is a big Ram ,GMC,Chevy dealer .They said they can sell 1500 Eco diesels again ?
So I guess they passed the EPA emissions testing ? About a year ago when I was looking you could pick up a Tradesman 4 door with Eco diesel for under 40k . About the same $ as the Canyon /Colorado. i live in Fl. I have no affiliation with said dealer .Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
I just got an e-mail from Dave Smith in Kellogg Idaho He is a big Ram ,GMC,Chevy dealer .They said they can sell 1500 Eco diesels again ?
So I guess they passed the EPA emissions testing ? About a year ago when I was looking you could pick up a Tradesman 4 door with Eco diesel for under 40k . About the same $ as the Canyon /Colorado. i live in Fl. I have no affiliation with said dealer .Jim
Thanks. I have had my 1500 diesel for about a year and a half now and really like it. Great mileage, comfortable and plenty of power. It has towed a flat bed car hauler and a small cargo trailer without any problems. I expect it will be perfect for my new Escape. I had heard that EPA finally approved the emissions in July and that FCA is now selling quite a few of them. There was quite a backlog of eager buyers I guess. Thanks and happy trails.