Towing with Toyota Highlander Hybrid? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2021, 09:58 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Towing with Toyota Highlander Hybrid?

Have you towed with one? What mileage did you get?
Thanks,
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 03:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
3500 lbs towing capacity

2020 Highlander Hybrid lists maximum payload of 1,595 pounds and towing up to 3,500 pounds of cargo.

What do you plan to tow?

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 03:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Here's a consideration. The Hybrid costs more and as you age you are likely to drive less, so getting the added expense back will take longer.

My 2009 17B weighs 3,200 lbs. loaded. I like the margin I get with my 5,000 lb. tow rated gas Highlander.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We have a 2020 Toyota Highlander Hybrid and I doubt it would tow much of anything. I call it my gutless wonder. Don't get me wrong, I love my car; however, when towing our 21', our Tundra does a whole lot better ....

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 05:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
2020 Highlander Hybrid lists maximum payload of 1,595 pounds and towing up to 3,500 pounds of cargo.

What do you plan to tow?

73/gus
An 1800 lb trailer. Start up company called Cortez Trailers. Doubt I would try it with my 17B
Old 08-31-2021, 06:12 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Cortez

Cortez trailers

Just one fella's opinion, but I just do not like the look. Good attention to interior details, and it sure does look like a colored Casita clone to me. I owned a Casita, so no gripe there. Interior is slick, a bit clinical, but functional, but the exterior views give me an "ice cream headache".

YMMV.

The Cortez name carries a dubious legacy. Look it up.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:13 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
To me, it looks like they based their design more on the Oliver than a Casita. It's slick and the interior has that same clean, shiny look of the Oliver. With a dry weight of 1800 pounds, it's probably towable with the Highlander (provided you have a tow package) but you'd have to pack very judiciously. Couldn't find any negative reviews (Cortes, not Cortez) but it has been reviewed in several magazines (https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-preview-...avel-trailers/ and https://boomers-daily.com/2021/07/11...amper-trailer/) and the CEO has posted on the Fiberglass Forum. It does, however, come with a price tag comparable to the Oliver ...

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:23 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I did read about a sec investigation and or indictments about this ceo ?
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:09 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Here's a consideration. The Hybrid costs more and as you age you are likely to drive less, so getting the added expense back will take longer.

My 2009 17B weighs 3,200 lbs. loaded. I like the margin I get with my 5,000 lb. tow rated gas Highlander.
All good points.........
Old 09-01-2021, 10:08 PM   #10

Different Cortez

The Cortez I referenced:

Spanish conquistador Hernán Cortés (c. 1485-1547) is best known for conquering the Aztecs and claiming Mexico on behalf of Spain.

Conquistadors don't carry a swell rep with many.

Slightly different spellings, or more likely an Anglicization of the Spanish.
Old 09-01-2021, 11:45 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
The Cortez I referenced...
Yes, that's the name connection... which was explored in some detail in a previous thread. And has nothing to do with using a Highlander Hybrid to tow.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 12:00 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes, that's the name connection... which was explored in some detail in a previous thread. And has nothing to do with using a Highlander Hybrid to tow.
Except that the Cortez/Cortes doesn't exist outside of pixels and the promoter might be up on charges ( or not ).
From FGRV:
You might be waiting a long time for your Cortez Camper: On June 8, 2021, Paul Spivak, Chief Executive Officer of US Lighting Group, Inc. (the “Company”) was arrested for conspiracy to commit securities fraud.
Start reading around post #190, or earlier.
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...tml#post820994
Old 09-02-2021, 04:34 AM   #13

Yes, but......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

It does relate to the post by the originator of this thread and his comments about acquiring a lighter weight Cortez fiberglass trailer in THIS thread, and the previous discussion & postings on the Cortez name were, it appears, on a different forum, which I do not regularly follow.
Old 09-02-2021, 12:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Except that the Cortez/Cortes doesn't exist outside of pixels and the promoter might be up on charges ( or not )...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
It does relate to the post by the originator of this thread and his comments about acquiring a lighter weight Cortez fiberglass trailer in THIS thread, and the previous discussion & postings on the Cortez name were, it appears, on a different forum, which I do not regularly follow.
It's okay if someone isn't aware of the previous discussions of the Cortes (not Cortez) fiasco, but the trailer could be vapourware promised by a reincarnation of Attila the Hun and it still wouldn't make any difference to how well a Highlander Hybrid tows. Yes, the trailer weight matters, but that has nothing to do with the company's name or ethics.

The Cortes discussion here was easy to miss, as it was buried in a thread about another brand.

Perhaps someone has comments on how well a Highlander Hybrid handles trailers up to its rated capacity?
Old 09-02-2021, 01:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
An 1800 lb trailer. Start up company called Cortez Trailers.
Assuming that this is intended to be the Cortes 17' Travel Trailer, I'll note that the claimed 1800 pounds is a base, dry and empty weight (as all published weights for trailers are, including Escape), so just as an Escape 17B isn't only 2640 pounds when it hits the road, this Cortes would be substantially heavier than 1800 pounds. The point is just to plan based on gross loaded weight rather than the published base dry weight, but I assume that this was already realized.

Quote:
Doubt I would try it with my 17B
This trailer (if ever built) would likely be substantially heavier than 1800 pounds even in base dry configuration. There is no obvious reason why this trailer would be substantially lighter than a similarly-sized Escape; the aluminum frame will make only a trivial difference to total trailer weight. The claimed weight is likely promotional nonsense, so I would plan for greater weight, regardless of the brand of the trailer. With the Highlander Hybrid's rated trailer weight at 3500 pounds, I would want to seriously look at the Gross Combination Weight Rating.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Except that the Cortez/Cortes doesn't exist outside of pixels and the promoter might be up on charges ( or not ).
From FGRV:
You might be waiting a long time for your Cortez Camper: On June 8, 2021, Paul Spivak, Chief Executive Officer of US Lighting Group, Inc. (the “Company”) was arrested for conspiracy to commit securities fraud.
Start reading around post #190, or earlier.
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...tml#post820994
Oh oh.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:34 AM   #17

Very helpful responses folks.

My initial reaction to the trailer was its lighter weight and potential compatibility with the 3500 lb. tow capacity of the Toyota hybrid. Also like the honeycomb construction, double pane windows and aluminum frame as we use our trailer in the winter. I hadn't noticed the lack of legal lighting. Of course if none of this is real it doesn't matter. FYI I did reach out the company with several questions but the email was not responded to.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:54 AM   #18

Ok folks, can you suggest another trailer with bath, winter friendly that could be towed by a tug with 3500 tow capacity? We looked at an Oliver. The small one had VERY little storage capacity and the larger one is way too heavy.
Scamp is light enough but I doubt it is winter worthy. Also don't know about the quality.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:23 AM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Ok folks, can you suggest another trailer with bath, winter friendly that could be towed by a tug with 3500 tow capacity? We looked at an Oliver. The small one had VERY little storage capacity and the larger one is way too heavy.
Scamp is light enough but I doubt it is winter worthy. Also don't know about the quality.
I don't know of any all-molded towable that's four season with that weight limit. You might find something in the sticky world.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 09:56 AM   #20

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:

Sadly, no. I don't think such a trailer exists.

Which is a huge opportunity. I'm going to hire a graphical designer and start a new, 4-season trailer company. I'm going to call it "The Attila". Details on how to become an early investor to follow shortly!
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote