towing your Escape and using chains - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
towing your Escape and using chains

Has anyone used chains on their Escape in the snow and if dual axles are 2 sets of chains needed or just one? thanks for any help.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Never heard of putting chains on the towed trailer. Now on the tow vehicle that is a different story. Since the trailer is not part of the drive train I do not see any advantage and perhaps some disadvantage by having more to tow, that is, more rolling resistance created by the chains on the trailer.

The issue will be hills, usually going up. The tow vehicle would greatly benefit by being four wheel drive, depending on conditions it maybe mandatory to climb with the extra towing weight. Here chains can come into play on the drive wheel(s).
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have towed many thousands of kilometers on snow and ice, and have never seen or heard of chains used on the trailer. Not much choice around here. On the tow vehicle yes, though I have yet to use them on a passenger vehicle for towing a travel trailer. I have used them on a 4x4 in deep snow, and on a big rig when towing on a highway. I do understand that there are some passes where it is mandatory to have them on any vehicle, though I have not encountered this myself.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #4

Trailer: Was 2011 17B, now Bigfoot 21
In California, it is the law that if you have chains on the tow vehicle, you must have chains on the trailer if the trailer has brakes. Also, if you are towing a trailer, the 4x4 exception (if you have 4 wheel drive, you do not need chains) does not apply. So, in California, if the road has chain controls (which happen with almost any amount of snow), you need 2 sets of chains, one for the tow vehicle and one for the trailer.

Ben
btroxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #5

Trailer: ?
Oregon State's minimum chain requirement states:
"When towing, chains must also be on one tire on each side of one axle of a trailer that is equipped with a brake."

Personally, I don't think I'd want to be towing anything in conditions that might require chains!
Eugene We is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #6

Very interesting regarding tire chains on trailers in the US. This is good to know should this situation be encountered. Either that, or avoid the situation.

Do tractor/trailer combos have to do this too?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #7

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I am not suggesting the above posts regarding the regulations are wrong, but i have never seen chains on the trailer only in the drive tires on the truck. I would be very cautious with chains on a escape trailer as they tend to fly away from the tire a bit and this would cause a very nasty outcome in the wheel well of a fiberglass traier.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
It's not surprising that most of us have never seen trailers using chains - I very rarely see trucks using them even on drive axles. Although chain use is legally required under some conditions, and "chain up" and "chain off" pullout areas are common on the climbs into and descents out of mountain passes in Alberta and British Columbia, conditions are rarely bad enough to trigger their use.

If a trucker is using chains on only drive axles, and not the trailer, I assume he's just getting unstuck and not continuing at any significant speed or for any great distance. Unchained braked trailer tires will slide under braking and cause a loss of lateral traction if conditions are bad enough... but so will the steer tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Very interesting regarding tire chains on trailers in the US. ...
Do tractor/trailer combos have to do this too?
Yes, the rules I've seen not only apply to commercial truck-trailer rigs, they are specifically written for them... but still apply to non-commercial trailers.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave macrae View Post
I would be very cautious with chains on a escape trailer as they tend to fly away from the tire a bit and this would cause a very nasty outcome in the wheel well of a fiberglass traier.
I agree - chains require significant clearance, and vehicle manufacturers routine specify if tire chains are allowed, and what specific designs are acceptable.

In British Columbia and Alberta, I would not consider chains on any vehicle; if I wanted unrestricted winter mobility I would use snow tires instead, including on the trailer.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Never heard of putting chains on the towed trailer. Now on the tow vehicle that is a different story. Since the trailer is not part of the drive train I do not see any advantage and perhaps some disadvantage by having more to tow, that is, more rolling resistance created by the chains on the trailer.
There are lots of disadvantages to tire chains on any axle of any vehicle. For trailers, the purpose of chains is braking traction.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #11

I'm not planning on purposely driving thru snow, but plan on a cross country trip in early Spring and I do not know what Colorado may have then, so I plan on carrying some chains, for the tow and trailer in case of an emergency.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #12

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
If you do use chains make sure they are installed properly and fequently checked as the resulting damage when they come loose is nasty. I used them on my Land Rover when I was younger and while they aid traction in snow and ice they come with a measure of risk and go slow.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave macrae View Post
.....while they aid traction in snow and ice they come with a measure of risk and go slow.
Good point. No racing with chains on, even the lightweight passenger ones.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #14

Did anyone know that trailer chains are different than automobile chains? They run parallel to the treads to help with braking.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #15

Here is a link to trailer chains. They don't run parallel to the tread but at an angle to it.

Trailer Tire Chains

2012 Escape 19'
2013 F350 crewcab 4x4
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:19 AM   #16

From Paul's link:
Quote:
Diamonds or Diagonal Cable chains are recommended for trailers since their patterns provide the most lateral sway control. Traditional ladder style chains provide little to no sway control.
The "ladder" style is what you traditionally see on big trucks (or my lawn tractor plowing snow). The diamond and diagonal styles recommended for trailers are what I often see recommended for cars as well.