Toyota Tacoma and Escape 5.0 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude View Post
We presently pull with a chevy silverado, 5.3 liter with the 6 speed tranny, which enables us to pull our boat behind the 5th wheel (which is allowed in Alberta) ...
While Alberta regulations do allow recreational double trailers, this is not legal with a stock Escape 5.0, because the lead trailer is required to have tandem axles. The lead trailer also needs to have a fifth-wheel hitch (which of course the 5.0 does), and it needs to be longer than the second trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:37 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 5TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
While Alberta regulations do allow recreational double trailers, this is not legal with a stock Escape 5.0, because the lead trailer is required to have tandem axles. The lead trailer also needs to have a fifth-wheel hitch (which of course the 5.0 does), and it needs to be longer than the second trailer.
Thanks Brian, I did not realize this. Well, two out of three isn't bad.
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:48 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude View Post
Thanks Brian, I did not realize this. Well, two out of three isn't bad.
Ya know, sometimes I wish there were a "laugh" button beside the posts on this forum that one could click on to show appreciation for the sense of humor evinced on this site. Sometimes these comments provide a much-needed laugh for the day.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:10 AM   #24

Trailer: 2012 15A
I am in central Saskatchewan right now, working not camping. Apparently they have the same, or similar, law here as Alberta in regards to towing 2 trailers. I have now seen a number of these rigs on the road here in Meadow Lake area and feel really fortunate that I do not have a need to tow a 32 foot 5th wheel trailer and a boat at the same time. A canoe on the roof of the tow vehicle is enough for me! Of course in Sask they have lots and lots of flat land so turning this combo is a bit easier but they do look out of place in the local mall parking lot making a U-turn into the gas pumps!

I wished I had taken a photo or two to post! Maybe tomorrow.

Then there are the farmers who drive their giant 8 wheel, 4 wheel drive tractors down the 2 lane Highway No. 4 with 3 trailers in tow. An air seeder, a seed carrying trailer and a fertilizer carrying trailer I believe. The whole thing must be at least 21 metres long (about 70 feet). Now that is driving! With the John Deere tractor in the lead it is like watching a St Patrick's day parade except it is made up of only one entry!

Thank you Reace and Tammy for making a 15 ft Escape trailer for us with a hitch receiver at the back that we can add on a carrier for our 2 bikes.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote