Toyota Tacoma and Escape 5.0 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2010, 12:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 5.0 TA on the way
Toyota Tacoma and Escape 5.0

My wife and I really like the idea of the Escape 5.0 for it's floorplan, space, towing ease, etc. We currently drive a 2007 Toyota Tacoma double cab (short bed) and wanted to use it as a tow vehicle. However, after emailing a bunch with Tammy, and talking with Paul in BC, who owns a Tacoma and 5.0, I'm still convinced that the 5.0 is a great trailer, but also that my truck can't tow it.

Here's the deal: Tammy says that the you will need the hitch to be installed 29" from the rear window to the center of the hitch. And the fifth wheel will fit any truck where the side of the box is 54" or less. Unfortunately, I measure on 22" from the rear window on my Tacoma to the center of the rear axle, so a hitch would ride well behind the rear axle and would be unsafe. Now, Paul loves his 5.0 and tows it with a Tacoma, but his truck has the long bed and can mount the hitch over the axle.

I had a hard time getting a definitive answer on this just by surfing the web, so hopefully, this is helpful to other Tacoma owners considering a 5.0. I'm not sure the wife will go for the idea of a new truck, so it looks like an Escape 19 is in our future.

Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Re: Toyota Tacoma and Escape 5.0

We tow our 19 easily with our 06 Tacoma. It came with the factory tow package (but not the TRD), so everything went well EXCEPT the ride. The 2 main rear leaf springs are wimpy, and there's only 3" or so of suspension travel (TRD is stouter). Even though the rear hardly sagged with a standard hitch, we were bottoming out harshly on bad pavement. I nuked the problem with both Air Ride rear air bags (20 lbs. seems to be working best) and a WD hitch. Now it's all good riding. If you don't have the factory tow package, and aftermarket trans oil cooler would be a good idea also.
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #3

Yes, I've got the TRD "Sport" package with the Bilstein's and the tow package. IMO, the truck rides a lot better with some load on it, than empty. I agree that it shouldn't have any problems with the 19, I was just getting psyched about the fifth wheel for the reasons stated.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

I thought that Rease towed the 5.0 with a short bed Frontier, and used a sliding hitch? But, I may be wrong.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

We have towed our 19 all over the place up and down mountains with our 2007 Tacoma
TRD Sport Double Cab, no problems and plenty of power. If you get a 19 you will want the
high lift axle this puts the trailer perfectly level with the truck.
Hope this helps.

Doug

Attached Thumbnails
T&T.jpg  
Old 08-05-2010, 08:15 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Scout... Don't count your Tacoma/ 5.0 combo out yet!!! There are pin box extenders out there to move the trailer away from the back of your truck cab, while still mounting the hitch over the axle. The weight of the pin still rests on the axle of the truck but your trailer becomes a bit longer... maybe a 5.50 Alf p.s. a good hitch shop will know what's avail. and also the Tacoma's composit box requires special mounting!!! IMHO
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 17

Scout,
there are links to pictures at fiberglassrv com
Scamp fifth wheel folks have been doing this a while with the tacoma.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:35 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5TA

Scout,

Is the 54" number for a standard 5.0 escape or with an added axle lift
strawbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawbarry
Scout,

Is the 54" number for a standard 5.0 escape or with an added axle lift
I'm pretty sure it's for the standard axle placement. My Tacoma is 51" to the top edge of the box, so we're good to go, there.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist
Hi: Scout... Don't count your Tacoma/ 5.0 combo out yet!!! There are pin box extenders out there to move the trailer away from the back of your truck cab, while still mounting the hitch over the axle. The weight of the pin still rests on the axle of the truck but your trailer becomes a bit longer... maybe a 5.50 Alf p.s. a good hitch shop will know what's avail. and also the Tacoma's composit box requires special mounting!!! IMHO
Alf,

Believe me; I'd love to find a way to work it out so that I could tow the 5.0. I took a look at some of the pin box extenders and it appears that they simply move the king pin point rearward and parallel to the bed of the truck. So, from a physics standpoint, wouldn't this be the same as mounting the hitch behind the axle? I appreciate your guidance on this.

A slider hitch would probably work, but, geez, they really pricey!

Scout
Old 08-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #11

Hi: Scout... We tow with a 2002 shortbox GMC Sierra. We have 40" distance from the hitch center to cab window. We have 51" height at the axle ground to top of box sides. We have the axle lift on the trailer for a level tow. On a tight turn there's 4" clearance between the cab and the trailer. We also have a 16K Husky hitch with the double tilt, for aft/side to side and the Ez roller slider...but have never used the rollers.
I was never the sharpest pencil in the physics lab, but I can't see how the extender would be the same as mounting the hitch behind the axle. It might change the pin weight as it would make the trailer longer.
I believe that with a 5th. hitch and composit box truck you require a saddle under the box to mount to the truck frame. Then the hitch mounts to the saddle.
You will have to do the math. Which is less expensive, trade the truck or get the hitch with rollers and or the pin extender.
Again a good hitch shop will make all the difference. Alf
Attached Thumbnails
php6zArJnAM.jpg   Them\'s the brakes.jpg  
Old 08-11-2010, 12:29 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 19 2011

Quote:
" I believe that with a 5th. hitch and composite box truck you require a saddle under the box to mount to the truck frame. Then the hitch mounts to the saddle.... Again a good hitch shop will make all the difference".
Thanks Alf for the photos of your hitch. We are considering ordering an Escape 5.0, and will also need a tow vehicle. My preference is the Toyota Tacoma ( e.g. Double Cab, TRD Sport package, automatic, 73" long box). There are no Nissan dealers within 100 miles. However my local hitch installer reported that a 5th wheel hitch is not recommended in the Tacoma's composite box, so I would also need an experienced hitch shop.
- first post from Karen and Peter, Deep River ON
esKaPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #13

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Hi Karen and Peter,
You will LOVE the 5.0! With the long box, the Tacoma is just fine. Plenty of power, and nice room for the family. The problem with the composite box as I understand it, is that drilling through it will void the warranty. The hitch will be attached to the frame (as it is in the Frontier also), so it'll be plenty strong enough. Rease and Tammy have dealt with this many times I'm sure. I'd just wait until you get to Chilliwack, and have the hitch shop there install it for you (as they have for countless others of us who've taken our trucks to them....they're good!). Check with Rease and Tammy to be sure, but I'm pretty sure that's the only problem with the composite bed.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #14

Strange thing on the Tacoma: I've seen several references that Toyota says 5th wheels are a no-go, yet their owner's manual references 5th wheels and weight distribution.

So, I've had further conversations with Tammy, a local hitch installer in my town, and E&H Hitches right there in Escape-ville. Tammy says that hitch extenders are OK for use on the 5.0. So, with a 22" cab-to-hitch distance, the 3" offset of the existing pin to the trailer, and 10" extension with an RV5, I'd say I'm in good shape with my Tacoma short-bed. E&H also says they'll install a basic Reese 5th wheel, non-sliding hitch, but will probably need me to sign a waiver.

I'm excited about the possibility of towing the 5.0! Not that a 19 would be a bad thing, I just like the idea of the extra room and the improved towing experience.

Now if only the USD/CAD exchange rate would improve a little....
Old 08-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Canadian dollar just dropped 1 cent.

baglo
Old 08-11-2010, 08:15 PM   #16

Hi: All...When we first looked at the 5.0 I knew that the quality was there!!! Now at that point there were only two kinds of Escape. 17' or 5.0.
I really love the extra height of the roof line, even though I'm not that tall. The ease of hooking up was the clincher. Hear that wonderful clank...watch the lock arm spring shut, plug in, loop the breakaway switch wire over the handle do a light check...and tug off to Buffalo!!! Alf
Attached Thumbnails
hooked on you.jpg  
Old 08-18-2010, 03:03 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)

Hi Scout

I have a 6' box with a sliding hitch which moves 9" back for manuevering. In the forward position, it is 29" from the cab....rear position...38", which allows you to comfortably jack knife the trailer. After taking the 5.0 on many trips and never needing to slide the hitch back, it seemed redundant to set the hitch to allow for jack knife.....hence the 29" permanent setting we now recommend. Moving the hitch forward a few more inches would not make too much difference on the turning radius as at 29"...there is plenty.

This still may not put the center of the hitch over the axle, however adding air bags, overload springs, etc will easily pick up the weight. My previous truck was a Mazda B4000 2 wheel drive with extremely wimpy suspension. I installed a fixed hitch 38" back which put the center of the hitch 4"-5" behind the axle. I installed airbags to beef up the rear and carried the 5.0 very comfortably.

After all this....my recommendation....mount a sliding hitch 24"-25" from the cab which can be slid back 9" for tight manuevering and add a suspension helper if you need it.

The local hitch company has installed many fifth wheel hitches into trucks with the composite box with no problems....and no waivers!

Hope that helps

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
The rear axle center line on my 2011 Frontier short bed is 20" from my rear glass. Using a 9" slider on a 5.0 hitch, how far behind the axle would you recommend placing the hitch for the Escape 5er? Would you think additional support for the rear suspension is necessary? Any way to determine this other than trial and error?
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #19

Trailer: none
Scout - Did you ever get your 5.0? If so which hitch configuration did you go with?
We have a 2011 Frontier short bed and are trying to figure out just what hitch to use on the used Escape 5.0 we just bought.
Fran
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 5TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by esKaPe View Post
Thanks Alf for the photos of your hitch. We are considering ordering an Escape 5.0, and will also need a tow vehicle. My preference is the Toyota Tacoma ( e.g. Double Cab, TRD Sport package, automatic, 73" long box). There are no Nissan dealers within 100 miles. However my local hitch installer reported that a 5th wheel hitch is not recommended in the Tacoma's composite box, so I would also need an experienced hitch shop.
- first post from Karen and Peter, Deep River ON
Hi Karen and Peter

We pulled out Escape 5 with an 08 Tacoma, 6' box Trd. and it worked just fine. Rease can set you up with a hitch installer who has no problem with installation in the composit box. I would recommend the higher axle for the trailer. We presently pull with a chevy silverado, 5.3 liter with the 6 speed tranny, which enables us to pull our boat behind the 5th wheel (which is allowed in Alberta) and are pleased with this combo as well.
Carl Hansen
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote