Toyota Tacoma or Toyota Tundra for Escape 21'? - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2021, 09:35 AM   #81

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Of course you're safe, because vehicle designers do consider the details. It's fine if someone is not interested in the details, but that person shouldn't try to assess the capability of a vehicle by counting wheel nuts.
I’ll say it a little simpler, I myself was never implying that.

Personally I find car and truck specs as interesting as washing machines, since they’re both using mostly the same materials, just fabricated differently.

If it helps you I’ll go with-you win the bolt contest.

I like my truck, I’m glad you like yours.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:10 PM   #82

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
Hi All,
My husband and I just put down a deposit on an Escape 21' that will be ready in April 2023 and we are super excited. We need another car at the moment so we are going to go ahead and buy the truck that will eventually pull the Escape. Our original thought was always to buy a Toyota Tacoma, which according to Toyota has a towing capacity between 6400-6700lbs depending on the options selected. The GVWR of the Escape 21' is 5000lbs. The tongue weight on the Tacoma is about 670lbs and the hitch weight on the Escape would be about 500-750lbs. We are a family of five with kids in middle and high school so in the early years the truck would be carrying 5 average size people and eventually tapering down to two people. Camper use would be one -2 months a year -RV sites but also boondocking, mountains/flat, etc. Has anyone towed a 21' Escape with a Tacoma or otherwise know if it would work? Our other option would be to size up to a Toyota Tundra though the price difference is not insignificant. Our initial impression is that the Tacoma might be cutting it close and the Tundra is probably overkill. That said, this will be our first camper and we have never towed anything so we are a bit like the blind leading the blind. Any assistance would be very much appreciated!

In advance, thanks to all!
Sandra
I really like that you are thinking in terms of the trailer's gross weight rating and the heavier "real-world" 10% to 15% tongue weights that people have reported, rather than the unrealistically low published dry weights and tongue weights, which moreover exclude the additional weight of commonly-purchased factory options such as air conditioning, dual batteries, etc.

Personally, given five people with their gear, the rather tenuous connection between a travel trailer and the tow vehicle, and the inherent dynamics and variables of towing under different road and weather conditions, I don't think there's much that could be called "overkill" in selecting an adequate tow vehicle.

Purchasing a highly-optioned tow vehicle also tends to impose rated payload limitations which can make the published rated towing capacity unobtainable due to the inability to handle a 10% to 12% tongue weight within the rated payload capacity. So, the rated capacity numbers specific to the individual vehicle under consideration should be checked carefully.
Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:28 PM   #83

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
the unrealistically low published dry weights and tongue weights, which moreover exclude the additional weight of commonly-purchased factory options such as air conditioning, dual batteries, etc.
But, that's what DRY Weight is.
Can't blame the trailer builders for the public's misunderstanding of what dry weight is.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:33 PM   #84

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
I really like that you are thinking in terms of the trailer's gross weight rating and the heavier "real-world" 10% to 15% tongue weights that people have reported, rather than the unrealistically low published dry weights and tongue weights, which moreover exclude the additional weight of commonly-purchased factory options such as air conditioning, dual batteries, etc.

Personally, given five people with their gear, the rather tenuous connection between a travel trailer and the tow vehicle, and the inherent dynamics and variables of towing under different road and weather conditions, I don't think there's much that could be called "overkill" in selecting an adequate tow vehicle.

Purchasing a highly-optioned tow vehicle also tends to impose rated payload limitations which can make the published rated towing capacity unobtainable due to the inability to handle a 10% to 12% tongue weight within the rated payload capacity. So, the rated capacity numbers specific to the individual vehicle under consideration should be checked carefully.
The 21 is heavier than 5000 lbs when you get it loaded. You will need a Tundra or equivalent pick up to tow this trailer. Not saying the Tacoma could not tow a 21 but it will be a significant strain with lots of wear and tear. Tacoma is a great vehicle but a Tundra will get the job done.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 12:53 AM   #85
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I would give teh PAYLOAD of that tacoma a long close look. This is the GVWR minus the *ACTUAL* weight of the truck as optioned and outfitted. My 2008 Tacoma TRD Offroad 4x4 'access cable' 6.5' bed had a payload of 1250 lbs. Subtract 100 or so for the fiberglass shell I kept on it to keep my astronomy gear dry, 500-600 lbs for the actual tongue weight of my E21 classic, and ~ 500 lbs for two overweight passengers plus minimal personal gear, and there's.... NOTHING LEFT. In gen 2 series of my tacoma, the 4 door 'crew cab' model had 200 lbs LESS payload. 5 passengers will be very uncomfortable on a multi-hour road trip in a Tacoma, at least the 3 in back will be.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote