Toyota Tacoma or Toyota Tundra for Escape 21'? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2021, 09:46 PM   #21

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblets View Post
Our Tacoma struggles with out 17A.
My 2008 Tacoma 4.0L 4x4 towed my 2007 17B with ease around Ontario. Later we bought a 2017 4Runner again with the 4.0L. Around Ontario, no problem, west of Denver, not so well. Consider the elevation you’re towing at.

The third generation of Tacoma’s are less capable than the second generation, They have to rev higher to make the same power.

Now we have a Escape 19 and a Tundra. Tows with ease. I can’t imagine pulling the 19 with a V6.
Doug2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 09:52 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I don't think a hybrid is a good idea for towing. for towing, you need sustained torque, and hybrids are all about stop and go economy, once you've used up the limited electrical capacity, they revert to their underpowered gas engines.
Many hybrids have the same engine power as the non-hybrid version; the Ford F-150 PowerBoost and coming Toyota Tundra hybrid are examples.

In general, non-plug-in hybrids have tiny batteries and don't depend on the battery for any significant period of time. Their economy advantage is in urban use, but on the highway the work pretty much like conventional vehicles.

There are rare examples of hybrids, such as the BMW i3 REX (which is a series hybrid with an engine intended for scooters), which have engines insufficient for sustained high load; they would indeed be unsuitable for towing.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:29 AM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
We tow a 19’ with a 2016 Tacoma, we had truck before trailer. I would encourage you to go big on your tow vehicle especially if your planning to do longer trips in the future. As others have said payload of Tacoma’s are a little light. & power is marginal for hills. Factor in some unexpected 30 mph heads winds with hill climbing & altitude Performance loss & you’ll be kicking yourself for not getting the bigger truck.
With 4 people in our Tacoma with fiberglass cap & luggage our truck is over the rated payload.
We really have to get creative on what to bring & how to stow it for our trips.
Gasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 11:48 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I don't think a hybrid is a good idea for towing. for towing, you need sustained torque, and hybrids are all about stop and go economy, once you've used up the limited electrical capacity, they revert to their underpowered gas engines.
The 2022 Tundra hybrid has 437 horsepower, 583 ft. lbs of torque and a 12,000 lb towing capacity. The conventional version has 389 hp, and 479 ft. lbs of torque.

While only press folks have driven the new Tundras, I suspect the hybrid version would tow an Escape 21 just fine. Toyota will be rolling out new versions of their body on frame vehicles over the next couple of years. The V8 engines will be gone, replaced with twin-turbo sixes. So my big concern would be whether or not there will be bugs for the first couple of years.
Old 10-11-2021, 01:17 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
The 2022 Tundra hybrid has 437 horsepower, 583 ft. lbs of torque and a 12,000 lb towing capacity. The conventional version has 389 hp, and 479 ft. lbs of torque.
The electric motor of the hybrid system as a rated output of 35 kilowatts, which is 47 horsepower... illustrating that the hybrid has the same engine as the non-hybrid, and the same engine output, so the electric motor simply adds to it.

Quote:
While only press folks have driven the new Tundras, I suspect the hybrid version would tow an Escape 21 just fine.
The heaviest Escape in production, loaded to its limit, only weighs about half of the Tundra's tow rating... and the truck has more power than many big rigs which run 40 tons loaded. I agree - it will be more than adequate.

Quote:
Toyota will be rolling out new versions of their body on frame vehicles over the next couple of years. The V8 engines will be gone, replaced with twin-turbo sixes. So my big concern would be whether or not there will be bugs for the first couple of years.
That's always a valid concern, but the V35A-FTS engine has already been in production for four years. Although the truck will work the engine harder, the Tundra version is tuned for less peak power than the version which is in the Lexus LS 500.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 01:39 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have always had v-8 engines, from my first, a 1932B Ford to my current Mustang and Ram Hemi. So as they age so do I.........!
Old 10-11-2021, 01:42 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have always had v-8 engines, from my first, a 1932B Ford to my current Mustang and Ram Hemi. So as they age so do I.........!
And, you've even blown a gasket.
Old 10-11-2021, 04:15 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
And, you've even blown a gasket.
His gasket? I thought it was his trunnion bearing?
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 04:39 AM   #29

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I too have a V8 in my 2018 Tundra Crew Cab. I am never short of power and rarely go deep into the gas pedal. My MPG varies between 8 and 14. 8 would be the tunnel approaches on I-70 West of Denver. 14 MPG would be the back side, the downhill side of the Continental Divide.

The Tundra handles wind really well too. I know a 5.0 is different than a 21. So that may not matter as much. But it does to me.

We do not put four people in the truck when pulling, unless for short distances at low speeds. Tundras are light in payload capacity as evidenced by only 5 lug nuts on each tire. F-150's have six! They can handle more payload.

But towing with a Tundra is a dream. I have a whitewater, 12 foot trailer that is child's play for the Tundra. The greatest quality, IMHO, is the build quality. I am constantly impressed with the build quality. We love ours. Just not in the streets of Denver. Way too big.

But out in the wilds, it really shines. And it is dependable. Plus I love that the back window completely rolls down.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:05 AM   #30

Trailer: 2021 21c
Buy American, I’m driving a 2020 Ford Ranger 4wd crew cab, to tow my new 21 picked up I’m June. The performance is fantastic pulls like a dream with 7500 lbs towing capacity, 10 speed electronic tranny is like butter, and with the 4 cyl turbo engine it has plenty of power up hills. At 55 mph over the north cascade hiway got 16 mpg. At 65-70 I’m averaging close to 14mpg. Been on the road for 30 days, and another 10 days to go.
Akfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:19 AM   #31

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Buy American posted on a forum of owners of a Canadian product? Perhaps "North American" would be better..........
Old 10-12-2021, 10:34 AM   #32

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We'll chime in with a vote for the Tundra. Yes, it sounds like overkill; however, after towing our 21' with our 2018 Tundra all through Oregon, Utah, Arizona, etc., it's worth the extra towing power. Plus, it's a comfortable ride (we had two teenage grandsons with us two years ago and were happy for the room).

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:02 AM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Buy American posted on a forum of owners of a Canadian product? Perhaps "North American" would be better..........
My Tundra does well with our 5.0 TA...I wouldn't even consider a Tacoma.
Also my Tundra is built in Texas...not much more Merican than that!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:04 AM   #34

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
All of us have been saying American and Canadian for years and I see no reason to change now.

Just about anything mfg, or assembled here has parts from all points of the globe anyway.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:08 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
My Tundra does well with our 5.0 TA...I wouldn't even consider a Tacoma.
Also my Tundra is built in Texas...not much more Merican than that!
We do it bigger and better!
Old 10-12-2021, 11:19 AM   #36

The logistics of building something is an art.

I read about Boeing and the 787 I think it was. The wing is built here, the engines there, the body parts somewhere else. When it's ready for assembly all the parts seem to come together at the proper time.

I bet I could screw that process up!

Just like I did this thread.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:25 PM   #37

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I wouldn't say American or North American! I have no pride in one particular part of the planet. I love all of it.

I spend my money on whomever builds the best truck and shows the most care in their product. I try to get every bit of work out of my money. I do not mind spending more for quality. It always pays off. YMMV! Respectfully!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 12:53 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
I wouldn't say American or North American! I have no pride in one particular part of the planet. I love all of it.

I spend my money on whomever builds the best truck and shows the most care in their product. I try to get every bit of work out of my money. I do not mind spending more for quality. It always pays off. YMMV! Respectfully!
Everyone knows what we mean when we say 'American'. American = USA. Anybody ever had a Canadian call you a USA'er? Me neither.

I definitely do not love the entire planet!
Old 10-12-2021, 12:57 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMan View Post
The logistics of building something is an art.

I read about Boeing and the 787 I think it was. The wing is built here, the engines there, the body parts somewhere else. When it's ready for assembly all the parts seem to come together at the proper time.

I bet I could screw that process up!

Just like I did this thread.
LOL! But you are right and cars are the same way. It used to be that the old Ford Ranger and Mazda something or other were the same truck probably built in Mexico....is that ok since it is in N America too?
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 01:17 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
LOL! But you are right and cars are the same way. It used to be that the old Ford Ranger and Mazda something or other were the same truck probably built in Mexico....is that ok since it is in N America too?
Some would say Mexico is in Central America. None of my Mexican friends would put it that way.

Our Segundo gets a kick out of people referring to him as Mexican. HIs family has been here with ours since 1836.