TPMS Recommendations-2023 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2023, 04:55 PM   #1
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
TPMS Recommendations-2023

Hello!

Wondering if anyone has any experience with external TPMS sensors- the type where you replace the original tire stem caps with caps that have a TPMS sensor on them that wirelessly connect to a monitor in the tow vehicle. We are looking for one with a battery option for the monitor as our dash cam plugs into our USB in the truck. I’ve heard that the TPMS caps can cause valve stems to break if you don’t have metal valve stems, etc. which would completely defeat the purpose of having them for safety. I’m only finding mixed reviews on the ones I’m looking at.

We’d appreciate any feedback for those that have one that they like. Thanks so much!
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 05:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I have a set. They work well. I changed over to metal stems when I got new tires last spring. The rubber stems did not crack but they did deflect due to centrifugal force and I could see the where the sensor started to mark the wheel rim. I will go down to the shop tomorrow and see what brand I have.
TPMS is a peace of mind thing if you develop a tire leak going down the road or overnight. A blowout usually happens pretty fast and a lot of times does not give much warning. Four other things dealing with tires you may or may not have and wish to acquire.
They are:

1. A good pressure tester,
2. A tread depth gauge
3. if you are of the persuasion, a tubeless tire repair kit.
4. A 12 or 18 volt battery powered or 12 volt DC powered air compressor.

When I’m on the road especially in areas where towns and tire shops are few and far between I check my tires every morning before I start out. Both the pressure and a visual once over.
YMMV
I’ll get the brand name of my TPMS for you.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-30-2023, 05:53 PM   #3
AnJ

That would be great, thanks! We have a retired trucker in our family that gives the same advice on the above tire accessories to have while on the road- you can never be too prepared! It is an extra safety layer and for peace of mind, our tires have low km, have been out of the sun, and look to be in good shape, but are coming up on 5 years this year and we just have a couple of local trips planned, so we are planning to wait until next year to get new tires. Will definitely opt to get metal valve stems on the new tires!
Old 04-30-2023, 06:57 PM   #4
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
We bought, like and recommend:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We also changed out our rubber stems for metal ones when we put new tires on our E21.

This TPMS already saved us last year. As we were pulling out of a campground in Alaska, it alerted us saying the front right tire of our E21 was at 30 PSI. (Supposed to be at 50PSI) So we pulled over and sure enough it was at 30 PSI but surprisingly, it looked like it was still at 50 PSI! With our portable air compressor we were able to refill it and watched the TPMS like a hawk, until we reached our next destination. Turned out to be a slow leak from a nail that was easily patched. Very thankful we had the early warning.

BTW Last year, we also replaced the rubber stems for metal ones on our tow vehicle and got a similar TPMS for it, as well. Very nice to see where ALL the tires are at. -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 07:36 PM   #5

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
In 2020 we purchased the Tymate Tire Pressure Monitoring System. We used it for over 30,000 miles on our 5.0 and now for 7,000 miles on our Bigfoot. The original batteries are still working. For the 30,000 miles on our 5.0 they just were installed on the rubber valve stems, but a month before selling we installed metal stems. They currently are on our Bigfoot with rubber stems. Unless there’s a problem we’ll wait to install metal stems when we replace the tires.

The head unit on the dash has a mini solar panel built in the top so it charges when sitting on the dash, so no need for any corded connection or batteries.

We had a slow leak one time and we were warned when the pressure got below 45 psi (you can set the warning pressure to any you wish).

Works for us,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 08:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I’ve used the Tireminder trailer tpms for a while. It’s solar powered or usb powered and has a repeater that extended the range. It works well. Not the cheapest, but it has worked ok.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 11:17 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
I have the system that monitors the air pressure and tire temperature. I noticed that the tries on the side of the sun shining were 1 to 2 degrees wormer than the none sun side. The less expensive units do not work as well as the more expensive units. I don’t remember the brand of get one I have.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 07:04 AM   #8

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I started this morning ritual 30 years ago every time I drive my, rode my motorcycle, ride my bike and pulled a trailer using an air pressure gauge similar to this. It only takes a couple of minutes.

I've caught several slow leaks over the years and the occasional nail/screw before hitting the road. It turned out to be a great way to give the tires a routine lookie loo.
Attached Images

WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 08:10 AM   #9

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
We bought, like and recommend:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We also changed out our rubber stems for metal ones when we put new tires on our E21.
I have the same tire minder and it works. I hardwired the signal booster that comes with it under the dinette at the front of the trailer. I replace the batteries in the sending unit every year and will replace the rubber stems with metal stems when I replace the tires.

The rubber stems flex and rub paint off the rim a little bit.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 09:15 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnJ View Post
Hello!

Wondering if anyone has any experience with external TPMS sensors- the type where you replace the original tire stem caps with caps that have a TPMS sensor on them that wirelessly connect to a monitor in the tow vehicle. We are looking for one with a battery option for the monitor as our dash cam plugs into our USB in the truck. I’ve heard that the TPMS caps can cause valve stems to break if you don’t have metal valve stems, etc. which would completely defeat the purpose of having them for safety. I’m only finding mixed reviews on the ones I’m looking at.

We’d appreciate any feedback for those that have one that they like. Thanks so much!
As promised I went down to look at the TPMS we have. It is a Tire Traker (yup) TT400 C. It’s at least 7 years old and probably ten as I am not the original owner. It came with our 2013 Escape 21. It monitors both pressure and temperature. I believe it’s been updated by a newer series or 2 as I see there’s a 500 and a 600 now. It will monitor 20 wheels at a time. Read that “big rig with cheater axle.”
Hope this helps, have a great day, let me know if you need anything else but a loan.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-01-2023, 12:15 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I've been using the Tire Minder solar TPMS since 2018 with no problems. I placed the repeater in the front overhead cabinet.
Old 05-01-2023, 10:56 PM   #12
AnJ

Thanks so much, everyone! Iowa Dave, it sounds like you’ve got a great system to be that long lasting, thanks for following up. The best ones do seem to be ones designed for semi trucks. We were looking in a few of our local RV part stores and online in Canada, Amazon.ca had some lacklustre options. Many of you sent links to Amazon.com or ones I could only find there. Typically, I find that by the time we add on taxes/duties and shipping to Canada, it’s not worth it to buy from the US Amazon site, but it looks like in this case, it IS the best option. Thanks for presenting an idea I hadn’t thought of. Now, we just have to decide which one! We do have built in TPMS on our truck and even those ones occasionally will be a few PSI off from the actual reading. And I agree, inspecting the tires and regularly checking tire pressure, etc. is typically part of our pre-trip checklist. Thanks again for your help!
Old 05-02-2023, 05:49 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Tire date code

Don't forget to check your tires' four digit date code.
One time at the Mississippi River Rally we discovered 4 year old tires on a one month old Escape trailer, so it can happen.

The owner reported it to the company and received a reasonable check.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 01:39 PM   #14

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
I have followed this thread carefully. We, theoretically, have an integrated trailer TPMS built into our truck - 2021 F150. We wasted a lot of dollars and effort wasted to make that work - and it was a total loss. Lot of glossy promises from Ford - with dealers happy to sell expensive parts but not interested in installing or making it work.

Moving forward, we too are keen to add trailer TPMS to our camper. Reading all the generously shared experiences, I see three systems recommended:
  1. Tymate Tire Pressure Monitoring System - M7-3 - Seems to have an always on display.
  2. TireMinder Solar Powered Trailer TPMS - Seems to have an always on display.
  3. TireTraker TT-600 - Seemed like a very good monitor but not necessarily the best interface. Doesn't look like it's on the whole time and even when turned on - it seemed that you have to click through to see the PSI and Temp tire by tire. But, may be that's not a bad thing as I like to look at the road once in a while In any case, it seemed a bit more industrial grade...
With our previous disaster with installation, I wonder how easy or difficult these are to install for a not-DIY type. Any idea about ease of installation and monitoring... Did you get someone else to do the installation?

PS: Some of these ask for baseline and warning temperature. What are the acceptable vs too hot temperature ranges?
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 01:57 PM   #15
SRS

Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
I have followed this thread carefully. We, theoretically, have an integrated trailer TPMS built into our truck - 2021 F150. We wasted a lot of dollars and effort wasted to make that work - and it was a total loss. Lot of glossy promises from Ford - with dealers happy to sell expensive parts but not interested in installing or making it work.

Moving forward, we too are keen to add trailer TPMS to our camper. Reading all the generously shared experiences, I see three systems recommended:
  1. Tymate Tire Pressure Monitoring System - M7-3 - Seems to have an always on display.
  2. TireMinder Solar Powered Trailer TPMS - Seems to have an always on display.
  3. TireTraker TT-600 - Seemed like a very good monitor but not necessarily the best interface. Doesn't look like it's on the whole time and even when turned on - it seemed that you have to click through to see the PSI and Temp tire by tire. But, may be that's not a bad thing as I like to look at the road once in a while In any case, it seemed a bit more industrial grade...
With our previous disaster with installation, I wonder how easy or difficult these are to install for a not-DIY type. Any idea about ease of installation and monitoring... Did you get someone else to do the installation?

PS: Some of these ask for baseline and warning temperature. What are the acceptable vs too hot temperature ranges?
TST is another one to look at. It has some nice features including the ability to add air to your tires without removing the sensor from the valve stem. It's also one of the more expensive options.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FL2FF9G...lig_dp_it&th=1
SRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 02:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
TST is another one to look at. It has some nice features including the ability to add air to your tires without removing the sensor from the valve stem. It's also one of the more expensive options.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FL2FF9G...lig_dp_it&th=1
Thank you! I am looking at it. Any feedback about installation?
Old 05-02-2023, 02:31 PM   #17

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
With our previous disaster with installation, I wonder how easy or difficult these are to install for a not-DIY type. Any idea about ease of installation and monitoring... Did you get someone else to do the installation? ....
Based on our many email discussions IMO any of these aftermarket TPMS systems are well within your capability to DIY install and configure.

There is absolutely no comparability to the situation you experienced with the Ford system debacle which in your case unfortunately grew to require vehicle harness modification and vehicle system-reprogramming (and yes, shame on Ford and your Ford dealer for not undertaking that).

Other than plugging into a 12 volt power port in the truck (and some don't even need that) there's no interface with the truck or its systems at all. The mentioned aftermarket TPMS are designed for installation and use by folks of average intelligence, and you far exceed that; there's no expectation or need for 'vehicle mechanic' skills or tools beyond being able to check tire pressure and add air to your tires.

Most of these offer their installation / user manual on the manufacturer website - take a look at those to assuage concerns / gain confidence before purchasing a particular system. You may also find step-by-step-installation / configuration videos for some of them on YouTube.

Wishing you the best as always!
Old 05-02-2023, 02:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Based on our many email discussions IMO any of these aftermarket TPMS systems are well within your capability to DIY install and configure.

There is absolutely no comparability to the situation you experienced with the Ford system debacle. Other than plugging into a 12 volt power port in the truck (and some don't even need that) there's no interface with the truck or its systems at all.

Most of these offer their installation / user manual on the manufacturer website - take a look at those to assuage concerns / gain confidence. You may also find step-by-step-installation / configuration videos for some of them on YouTube.

Wishing you the best as always!
Thanks a lot, Alan! I took a look at several installation videos, and they seemed doable... One question you might be able to advise me on:

In our efforts to get the Ford TTPMS installed, we had the tire stems on the camper tires replaced by those supplied by Ford. Of course, we could not make the Ford TTPMS work but the tire valve stems from Ford are still what's on there. Can we install the TTPMS from these stand alone systems on top of those stems - or do we need to have the Ford stems replaced? I don't think we kept the original stems with us.

Any advise would be much appreciated!
Old 05-02-2023, 03:17 PM   #19

Quote:
.... In our efforts to get the Ford TTPMS installed, we had the tire stems on the camper tires replaced by those supplied by Ford. Of course, we could not make the Ford TTPMS work but the tire valve stems from Ford are still what's on there. Can we install the TTPMS from these stand alone systems on top of those stems - or do we need to have the Ford stems replaced? I don't think we kept the original stems with us. ....
Those Ford TPMS stems 'pass air in-and-out' just like any other valve stem even with the inside-the-wheel pressure and temperature sensor.

They also are a rigid metal stem with a threaded-nut retention (rather than a flexible rubber press-in type stem as provided by ETI). That's comparable to the metal valve stems which many (myself included) recommend when using cap-replacement type external TPMS sensors common to aftermarket units.

IMO it is most likely that the stems you now have in place should work just fine with any of these aftermarket systems.
Old 05-02-2023, 03:34 PM   #20

Exclamation just did a test ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
IMO it is most likely that the stems you now have in place should work just fine with any of these aftermarket systems.
kavm:

As a check I just went out and screwed one of the aftermarket EEZ Tire (brand) system sensors onto my trailer's 2022 Ford TTPMS valve stem.

Though no longer used for towing the 5.0 I still have the aftermarket EEZ Tire TPMS system in my 2005 F150 (it doesn't have even a truck tire TPMS system) and it's still calibrated for the trailer; parked adjacent to the trailer it 'read' that tire pressure just fine, same as the underlying Ford TTPMS concurrently reports in the new truck.

I can't foresee any reason that would not hold true for any other similar 'cap replacement / screw-on-the-valve-stem' aftermarket system.

I hope you find a solution that works for you!