Trailer brake controller/Sway control - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2019, 05:17 PM   #41

Trailer: 2013 19ft Escape "Eggy Sue"
What about Tim Hortons drive through?
2002 Toyota Tundra 4X4
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:22 PM   #42

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm quite sure it's diesel though.
You do have a valid point. I concede.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:56 PM   #43

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
It's settled then. D9 Cat.
I'm not so sure that's adequate... there's no Trailer Stability Control system, no factory-installed brake controller, and not even an approved hitch receiver.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:07 PM   #44

Trailer: ?
Brian said:
"If two-hands-on-the-wheel manual trailer braking is really important, a left-foot switch would work (assuming an automatic transmission). Of course this would mean disconnecting the manual control in the controller (or connecting in parallel with it) and adding a foot control with connecting wiring. Anyone remember foot-switched high beams?"

A foot control is a better idea.

The foot peddle is out there with the sewing machine. Can't imagine that someone with the skills, couldn't adapt that to the brake controller.
Were it an option for some manufacturer, I would be a buyer.

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:28 PM   #45

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Controller location

I have always been of the opinion that the brake controller needs to be in a location that I can see it and reach its controls (particularly the manual lever) while driving and keeping my eyes on the road. So, our P3 is about 4 inches in front of my left hand on the dash. (Edit: the cover is a black cardstock sunshade taped to the unit)
Attached Thumbnails
brakecontroller Loc-1.jpg  
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:39 PM   #46

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
The foot peddle is out there with the sewing machine. Can't imagine that someone with the skills, couldn't adapt that to the brake controller.
Similarly, and from the automotive world, there are various types of electronic accelerator pedals, one of which might be directly compatible with the brake controller.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:01 PM   #47

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
What concerned me and was one of the reasons I went with a fifth wheel was this control issue. I also freely acknowledge there are many advantages 21 has over the 5.0 and for parking on my property I would be better off with a 21. From watching videos of the sway events ending in wrecking not only the trailer but also the tow vehicle what has impressed me the most is how quickly all this happens. When it happens you don't have seconds to respond. I know with my Ram I cannot image how with the truck beginning to swing back and forth I would be able to take my hand off the wheel and my eyes off the road in order to engage the manual trailer brake control. If I had gone with a 21 I would have gotten the best sway control device that I could afford. People say well if you load the trailer correctly you won't have the problem. In my life time I have seen many very smart conscientious people make human errors that ended badly. Screwing up loading a trailer would be very easy to do. Especially for an old fart like me.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:26 PM   #48

Trailer: 2019 Escape 17B
How about a small button?

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contr...BRH-ACCV2.html

Sway was a major concern for me before picking up our 17B some weeks ago. We towed the trailer home over mountains for about ten days. Uphill, downhill, turns across the wind and then a run the length of Wyoming with a 25~35 mph cross wind.

Figuring I might want to get to the trailer brakes in a hurry to stop swaying, I installed the unit above. It's where I can always see it and maybe 6" from the steering wheel. I tried a couple of "panic brake applications" to get used to hitting it. No problem. If you are really worried about not being able to steer with one hand for a few seconds, do what the drunks do: rest your elbow on the window ledge of the door and lean on it a bit while gripping the wheel. Keeps you going straight enough that a cop won't notice that you're weaving - which is what you want to do when your trailer is trying to pull you hither and yon.

Which was never an issue for us in over 1800 miles coming home. We were a bit light on the hitch, the trailer was one inch nose high at the hitch (I inverted the tow bar on the Escape-installed WDH when we got home) and the truck has a soft rear suspension. I really don't know what you have to do to get the 17B to sway, but having fixed the issues above now that we're home I don't expect to ever even come close.

But the knob is right there...
Old 06-18-2019, 06:58 PM   #49

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
If you’re going to get a 9, might as well get a 10. We had an International TD 24 with Swamp Pads. What a terrific machine with advanced concepts for lubrication and longevity. The only problem was a propensity for the head to crack. It was said there’s only two kinds of 24s. Ones with a cracked head and those with a head about to crack. She weighed 46,000 and we built two golf courses with it and many park
roads and operated our own rock quarry. We were eons ahead of most parks departments because of extremely good leadership in the form of World War Two and Korean War veterans. Heavy equipment always fascinated me including D7 all lever cats, Euclid C6’s and Cat 12 motor Graders.
I worked on counterweight casting for Link Belt LS 98 and 108 cranes and crusher wheels for Cedarrapids Crushers. But ended my career pushing a pencil and computer keyboard buttons. It wasn’t for me. Saw a pair of D10s cutting in a road in the Black Hills a few years ago. Diesel smoke and dangerous curves.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-11-2020, 12:02 PM   #50

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Curt Echo brake controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
Didn’t know about this product but that’s the idea. You can mount your cellphone in a place close to the steering wheel as to minimize the distraction of activating the brakes. You will have to be sure the phone doesn’t “sleep” from inactivity
If I didn’t already have a hard wired one, I would take a hard look at this one. I like the concept.

Or mount the phone like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Pho...gateway&sr=8-5

Lots of possibilities.
Ed
Has anyone ever tried this brake controller, and if so, how did you like it? I understand that there is no override available if you don’t have a functional phone to transmit a signal. It appears that it is controlled by a phone, that should be connected to power.. I understand it will function with the regular settings if the cell phone has lost its blue tooth connection. I have not been able to learn too much about it, and my son does not like the idea of any brake controller, that is dependent on one’s cell phone.
I am going to get a new Toyota sienna, and I’m not sure there is enough room for my Tekonsha Prodigy three. It has always worked well with my 2005. And it can be moved to a new vehicle. And right now, it is under and attached to the lower part of the dash, partly under the steering apparatus. Any comments and advice would be appreciated.