Trailer Brakes, BC Regulations - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Trailer Brakes, BC Regulations

"Hi: All... Is that weight requirement for towing without electric brakes a Provincial Law in B.C.Huh
escape atrist N.S. of Lake Erie Wink"

Hope this helps, it the section of the BC Motor Vehicle Act that pertains to trailers.

Trailer brakes

(3) A trailer shall be equipped with brakes at each end of each axle, but brakes are not required

(a) on one axle of a house trailer that is equipped with more than 2 axles,

(b) on any axle of a trailer other than a towing dolly if the licensed vehicle weight of the trailer

(i) is 1 400 kg or less, and

(ii) is less than 50% of the licensed vehicle weight of the vehicle by which it is being towed,

(c) on any axle of a towing dolly towed by a motor vehicle where

(i) the aggregate of the net weight of the towing dolly and the gross vehicle weight of the motor vehicle one axle of which is being carried by the towing dolly does not exceed 1 400 kg, or

(ii) the motor vehicle towing the towing dolly has a gross vehicle weight rating in excess of the aggregate of

(A) the net weight of the towing dolly,

(B) the gross vehicle weight of the motor vehicle one axle of which is being carried by the towing dolly, and

(C) the gross vehicle weight of the motor vehicle towing the towing dolly,

(d) on any axle of a motor vehicle one axle of which is being carried by a towing dolly, and

(e) on any axle of a trailer that consists of a piece of construction machinery towed by a truck where the truck has a gross vehicle weight rating in excess of the aggregate of the gross vehicle weights of the trailer and the truck.

(4) Brakes with which a trailer is equipped shall

(a) when applied be adequate to maintain control of the trailer,

(b) when applied not affect the direction of travel of the trailer, and

(c) where the licensed vehicle weight of the trailer exceeds 2 800 kg, be capable of being applied by the driver of the motor vehicle towing the trailer from his normal seated position.

(5) Notwithstanding subsection (1), a motorcycle shall be equipped with a brake on each wheel in contact with the ground, other than a wheel attached directly to a sidecar, and the brake on a rear wheel shall be operated by a right foot control, except where the motorcycle has a motor that produces 3.75 kW or less, in which case the rear wheel brake may be operated by a control mounted on the left handlebar.

(6) Brakes and coordinated brake control are not required on a motor vehicle with gross vehicle weight less than 2 800 kg which is being towed by

(a) a commercial vehicle with gross vehicle weight rating over 5 500 kg, or

(b) a rubber tired road building machine such as a motor-grader with normal operating weight rating over 5 500 kg,

provided that the aggregate weight of the combination does not exceed

(c) the gross vehicle weight rating of the towing motor vehicle, or

(d) in the case of a rubber tired road building machine, the registered test weight in the compliance testing of the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) J1473 brake performance standard.

(7) Brakes and coordinated brake control are not required on a towed motor vehicle that has a laden gross vehicle weight less than 2 000 kg and that is less than 40% of the gross vehicle weight rating of a motor home towing it via a tow bar.

[am. B.C. Regs. 69/59, s. (j); 46/67, s. 10; 226/67, s. 4; 205/72, s. 6; 343/77; 459/77, s. 2; 256/84, s. 6; 257/96, s. 1; 109/97, s. 1.]

Old 02-22-2009, 03:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Re: Trailer Brakes, BC Regulations

Hi: Doug... That pretty much sums it up!!! So it's up to the comfort level of the Tower and the requirements of the Towee not withstanding
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist
Hi: Doug... That pretty much sums it up!!! So it's up to the comfort level of the Tower and the requirements of the Towee not withstanding
You know what scares me is that all people have the right to stupidity but some abuse the privilege.
I just hope I never run into anyone with no trailer brakes and hope they never run into me.....
Old 02-22-2009, 04:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hioug... I am not planning on visiting B.C. any time soon so you won't have to worry about me "abusing my privledge". I will however give plenty of warning of any change in plans!!!
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist
Hioug... I am not planning on visiting B.C. any time soon so you won't have to worry about me "abusing my privledge". I will however give plenty of warning of any change in plans!!!
Sorry I wasn't aiming at anyone here, it just scares me that a website renting trailers would
even think about letting someone drive off their lot with probably little trailering experience
and no electric brakes....