Trailer Jack - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #1

Trailer Jack

Fellow Escapeeees:Was wondering if anyone used a Drive-on Quick Change Trailer jack to change a tire? I own a 5.0 and was concerned that if I get a flat tire how will I be able to change the tire while on the road.
Roger from Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
roadside assistance?

(I haven't figured out the wheel jack thing either, and Good Sam's is my fallback plan.)

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Drive up jack

I've been looking at the Anderson Drive up jack for changing a tire myself. Camping world has their own version that is virtually the same thing. One thing you do need is two axles. Driving onto the jack (ramp) with the good tire (up to a 7" rise) raises the flat tire off the ground for easy changing. I believe it is recommended that you be on level ground. I've already purchased the Anderson RV Leveler and Chock combo which raises your trailer up to 4" for leveling purposes. That dealer told me that our suspension system has less drop then a conventional leaf spring system and that the 4" rise might be enough to change the tire, so I'm going to try it and see. Hope this makes sense, and hope I'm addressing your question?
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Sorry Roger,
But most drive on tire changers only work on tandem axles, in other words you raise one axle to change the flat on the other axle. http://www.cabelas.com/product/EZ-Ja...h-All+Products
Unless you are referring to the aluminum crescent shaped tool that you place under the axle and pull the trailer up on? http://www.cabelas.com/product/Quick...h-All+Products
I have never used one. I belong to Good Sam road service, it seems paying for that yearly has prevented me from needing to use it!! Peace of mind is priceless...
Old 10-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Roger,

The tandem axle comments do not apply to the current single axle 5.0. The jack you asked about appears to be intended to be under the axle. I believe the axles on the current Escapes are NOT to be used for jacking points - so it's a no go. Get a good hydraulic or scissors jack and place it under the frame (not axle) - near the axle attachments.

See Reace's reply on jacking points:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...hange-763.html
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Jim and Doug/Karen are right.

Also, this Quick Change device is for beam axles: the beam only needs to be lifted slightly to take the load off the tire, and with a single axle the suspension is not affected. If you use this on the crossmember of an Escape's Torflex system, it would need to lift enough to fully extend the suspension before the tire came up. In my opinion, even if it were structurally safe to lift there it would still be a bad idea.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote