Truck Camper vs Escape Trailer - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-19-2021, 04:05 PM   #21

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemom3@verizon.net View Post
Hi All,
. . .
My question: if you have had both a TC and Escape trailer, is trailer living - hitching up and unhitching - set up, etc., more difficult with a trailer than a TC? Is it difficult to transition from driving a single unit (TC and truck) to a trailer?
. . .
Thank you,
Lee-Ann
We've had a pickup camper too but now just have our Escape 5.0. To us, the biggest difference isn't either the hitching, set up or driving.

The biggest difference comes when you are camping but want to drive somewhere else for the day or so. With a truck camper, you have to put everything away, practically breaking camp, in order to be able to go anywhere. With a trailer, you're probably already unhitched so you can just lock the trailer door and go!

There certainly are advantages to a truck camper: less cost, fewer mechanical systems, cheaper ferry fares, and easier to park in a shopping center parking lot.

So I would say that so much depends on the kind of camping you usually do. If you like to set up a base camp and travel from there, go with a trailer. If you're moving camp most every day, the truck camper advantages may be most influential.
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 04:35 PM   #22

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Everything is a compromise

Through all my years, I've encountered the "this or that" quandary. For me, it's always a compromise.
Someone said, "every time you get something, you give something up". That makes perfect sense to me.
You've got to prioritize you needs and factor in your wants, and be willing to accept that ALL your desires are not met. Enjoy the ones that are met.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 04:44 PM   #23

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Another wise woman.

Quote:
Funny - I don’t want my husband anywhere near me when I load or unload the TC. I tell him to leave and return in 10 mins…it saves the marriage.
I do the same with MY mate. It just works better & quicker that way.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 05:44 PM   #24

Trailer: 2011 Chalet TS 116 Truck Camper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye Ed View Post
We've had a pickup camper too but now just have our Escape 5.0. To us, the biggest difference isn't either the hitching, set up or driving.

The biggest difference comes when you are camping but want to drive somewhere else for the day or so. With a truck camper, you have to put everything away, practically breaking camp, in order to be able to go anywhere. With a trailer, you're probably already unhitched so you can just lock the trailer door and go!

There certainly are advantages to a truck camper: less cost, fewer mechanical systems, cheaper ferry fares, and easier to park in a shopping center parking lot.

So I would say that so much depends on the kind of camping you usually do. If you like to set up a base camp and travel from there, go with a trailer. If you're moving camp most every day, the truck camper advantages may be most influential.
Thank you for this perspective. I agree with most of your post. However, many TCs are way more expensive than trailers!
Leemom3@verizon.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 05:48 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Through all my years, I've encountered the "this or that" quandary. For me, it's always a compromise.
Someone said, "every time you get something, you give something up". That makes perfect sense to me.
You've got to prioritize you needs and factor in your wants, and be willing to accept that ALL your desires are not met. Enjoy the ones that are met.
Exactly! The “perfect” camper does not exist (in my opinion), because you of the give and take of wants/needs/ options. You find what works best.
Old 11-19-2021, 06:16 PM   #26

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I'm starting to think my dream tow vehicle is a late model Ford Expedition full sized SUV with the 3.5 EcoBoost, and the right set of options (mostly, Limited, max tow, and 4x4).
I’ve been researching them. 2015+ have the 3.5 EB. As you probably know need to be diligent about what each truck has especially regarding axle gearing. I don’t trust dealer feature lists. Axle code on door sticker can help but they seem to vary based on year. Maybe it’s just me but Fords configurations seem tricky to figure out sometimes without the window sticker. The Heavy Duty Tow package and 3.31 or 3.73 axle ratio with 4x4 appears to provide 9200# tow capacity.
Old 11-19-2021, 08:15 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye Ed View Post
Quote:
Thank you for this perspective. I agree with most of your post. However, many TCs are way more expensive than trailers!
The cost comment was about ferry fares, not purchase cost. Ferries usually charge by length, so the truck with slide-in camper is certainly cheaper than any trailer. Similarly, bridge and road tools are usually based in axle count, so the trailer rig is more expensive.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 10:08 PM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I’ve been researching them. 2015+ have the 3.5 EB. As you probably know need to be diligent about what each truck has especially regarding axle gearing. I don’t trust dealer feature lists. Axle code on door sticker can help but they seem to vary based on year. Maybe it’s just me but Fords configurations seem tricky to figure out sometimes without the window sticker. The Heavy Duty Tow package and 3.31 or 3.73 axle ratio with 4x4 appears to provide 9200# tow capacity.
the Limited all have the max tow package, at least 2015+

see the brochures year by year here for whats standard in the various packages.
https://www.auto-brochures.com/ford.html

for instance, 2015:
https://www.auto-brochures.com/makes...ition_2015.pdf
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 06:45 AM   #29

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:

for instance, 2015:
Thanks!
Old 11-20-2021, 01:48 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:

for instance, 2015:
a few things I've cleaned from those.

1) Android Auto / Apple CarPlay support was a standard feature of SYNC3 starting in 2018

2) 2018 got the new 10 speed transmission instead of the old 6 speed.

3) my ideal model would be a XLT with the FX4 package (only available some years), which includes equipment group 202A and the HD Tow package (202A is 90% of whats in the Limited). Nearly impossible to shop for that in a used vehicle. I like the FX4 because it includes electronic locking axles, and 18" wheels instead of the 20" wheels the 'upscale' packages include.
Old 11-20-2021, 05:24 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I agree except I’d go for a 4x2 to get a bit more payload. I’ve only needed 4x4 once in 4 years
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:27 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The cost comment was about ferry fares, not purchase cost. Ferries usually charge by length, so the truck with slide-in camper is certainly cheaper than any trailer. Similarly, bridge and road tools are usually based in axle count, so the trailer rig is more expensive.
True, TCs may not have DMV fees, etc, as most states do not require registrations for them. i was just thinking of original purchase cost.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:19 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
I agree except I’d go for a 4x2 to get a bit more payload. I’ve only needed 4x4 once in 4 years
I've needed 4x4 to get my trailer out of a simple camp space on a damp morning. but more importantly, I like to explore off roads and having the 4x4 available greatly increases the chances of getting out of trouble. plus it means no chains needed on high mountain passes in the winters here.

in the case of the Expedition, its only a 200 lb tow load difference.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:23 PM   #34

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
having the 4x4 available greatly increases the chances of getting out of trouble.
I'd heard that a 4x4 greatly increases the chance of getting into greater trouble.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:28 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'd heard that a 4x4 greatly increases the chance of getting into greater trouble.
the trick is to only use 4x4 when you actually need it. 2x4 to get in, 4x4 to get out
Old 11-21-2021, 05:47 AM   #36

Quote:
I've needed 4x4 to get my trailer out of a simple camp space on a damp morning. but more importantly, I like to explore off roads and having the 4x4 available greatly increases the chances of getting out of trouble. plus it means no chains needed on high mountain passes in the winters here.

in the case of the Expedition, its only a 200 lb tow load difference.
I, also, have rarely needed to use my 4x4, but when needed, I was quite glad to have had it. For the 209 pound payload difference between 4x2 and 4x4 in a Ranger (the truck I am looking at), i am interested in the 4x4. I can control how much I load into the truck, but I can’t control an unexpected need (or - want) for the 4x4.
Old 11-21-2021, 06:05 AM   #37

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I got stuck in a 2-Wheel drive F150 on a nearly level patch of wet grass before. Yes, a very tiny incline, good tires and wet grass. Put it in drive and the rear tires would spin freely without using the throttle.

Since then I have owned a 4-Wheel drive truck.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 08:01 AM   #38

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
True but it get you to areas where one can relax better n have more fun

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 01:45 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
We had an Arctic Fox 990 on an F350 dually and now have an Escape 17B. We prefer the Escape for most situations. It's so easy to maneuver that I rarely worry about entering a parking lot. The width at only 6'4" has a lot to do with that. The AF 990 was a full 8' wide which really made a difference. The truck camper setup was MARGINALLY better off road, but it was very limited by width whenever trees and bushes are involved.

I did not like dropping the TC. The whole experience was pretty scary with those wobbly jacks extended. Soft ground or wind can turn that into a very bad day.

The key difference is that we can drop the trailer and go 4X4 off-roading in the truck, which is a Chevy Colorado ZR2. It gives us a lot more freedom to explore. We always unhook the trailer when we set up camp so there is no extra time involved there, and unhooking is very fast and easy.

The long bed F350 dually was only used for the truck camper so just sat there collecting dust most of the time. It was hard to justify. We can tow the trailer with either of our daily drivers.

Sometimes we miss the queen bed, huge dinette, and 55 gallons of fresh water the truck camper had. It was also a bit warmer in below freezing temps, but the furnace was much louder so it wasn't necessarily better for sleeping. As we get older, it's also a lot easier stepping into the trailer vs. climbing up the stairs to get in the TC. We had to lift and carry our old dog to get her into the TC but the trailer was no problem.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 02:21 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
We had an Arctic Fox 990 on an F350 dually and now have an Escape 17B. We prefer the Escape for most situations. It's so easy to maneuver that I rarely worry about entering a parking lot. The width at only 6'4" has a lot to do with that. The AF 990 was a full 8' wide which really made a difference. The truck camper setup was MARGINALLY better off road, but it was very limited by width whenever trees and bushes are involved.

I did not like dropping the TC. The whole experience was pretty scary with those wobbly jacks extended. Soft ground or wind can turn that into a very bad day.

The key difference is that we can drop the trailer and go 4X4 off-roading in the truck, which is a Chevy Colorado ZR2. It gives us a lot more freedom to explore. We always unhook the trailer when we set up camp so there is no extra time involved there, and unhooking is very fast and easy.

The long bed F350 dually was only used for the truck camper so just sat there collecting dust most of the time. It was hard to justify. We can tow the trailer with either of our daily drivers.

Sometimes we miss the queen bed, huge dinette, and 55 gallons of fresh water the truck camper had. It was also a bit warmer in below freezing temps, but the furnace was much louder so it wasn't necessarily better for sleeping. As we get older, it's also a lot easier stepping into the trailer vs. climbing up the stairs to get in the TC. We had to lift and carry our old dog to get her into the TC but the trailer was no problem.
Thank you for the comparisons. AF is certainly a nice product w/4-season capability. That being said, every time I go to load or unload the TV, I worry that the jacks will fail. I am not basing that on anything I can point to - just my fears. Yes, on a windy day it can get nerve-wracking. I am figuring that a trailer removes some of the worry.

The point about the TC width is important. My truck - this longbed dually - is my daily driver. I am looking forward to going smaller for multiple reasons.