Truck Camper vs Escape Trailer - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2021, 07:27 AM   #41

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Very rarely do I see Nissan's mentioned as tow vehicles and I have to say from my experience excellent tow vehicles. The 2006-2012 Pathfinders were really good vehicles, they have the highest tow capacity in their class at 6,000 lbs and this is with a 6 cylinder engine, plus I would say very durable. The 2006 I bought new and in my career I drove a lot so 35-40k miles a year, sold it with 264,00 miles on it person I sold it to got it up to 325K and sold it. The 2012 I bought with 54K on it but same story as far as selling it. They ruined this vehicle in my opinion starting in 2013with the all new style.
I now have a 2104 Nissan Armada Platinum and so far no complaints, plus has 9000 lb tow capacity. Also think it was standard with this package has automatic leveling built in so as soon as I hook up our Escape within a minute it self levels.
Biggest problem is finding these vehicles low mileage used.

Enjoy the journey,
Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:47 AM   #42

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'd heard that a 4x4 greatly increases the chance of getting into greater trouble.
That is a myth perpetuated by 4x4 owners to keep the rabble out of the back-country trails.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 12:19 PM   #43

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
That is a myth perpetuated by 4x4 owners to keep the rabble out of the back-country trails.
You had me looking for a 'like' button with that one!
Old 11-22-2021, 03:27 PM   #44
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
let me just say this about that...

https://www.youtube.com/c/MattsOffRoadRecovery/videos
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 03:54 PM   #45

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Well some gomers just drove two trucks up a hiking trail in Cuyahoga Valley National Park destroying stairs. Their 4 wheel drive gomer mobiles got good and stuck. I’m sure the fines and the cost of repairs will assuage their credentials. Full disclosure, I worked at the park for 10 years before working for the regional office of the NPS. Nothing to do with this discussion, but a bit amusing I must say,
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:06 PM   #46

Trailer: Escape 19 , 2018
WeVe got an Escape 19 with lift option and foam sprayed on the bottom. Hooking and unhooking camper is WAY easier than loadin a TC in the bed of a pick up. We've taken our rig on some pretty potholed dirt roads. You just need to slow down. I do a lot of fly fishing and like being able to drop the camper at a site. I recommend sway bars however. If my wife doesn't want to fish she can stay at our site. I think there is more room in our 19' than the average TC. Plus I think towing a light camper puts a lot less wear and tear on you pickup than TC
Jackhackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:16 PM   #47

Trailer: 2011 Chalet TS 116 Truck Camper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackhackle View Post
WeVe got an Escape 19 with lift option and foam sprayed on the bottom. Hooking and unhooking camper is WAY easier than loadin a TC in the bed of a pick up. We've taken our rig on some pretty potholed dirt roads. You just need to slow down. I do a lot of fly fishing and like being able to drop the camper at a site. I recommend sway bars however. If my wife doesn't want to fish she can stay at our site. I think there is more room in our 19' than the average TC. Plus I think towing a light camper puts a lot less wear and tear on you pickup than TC
Thank you. The wear on the truck is a a big deal.
Leemom3@verizon.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:51 PM   #48
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
other things we didn't like about truck campers.

my wife did not like the steep climb up to the bed. she has bad knees.

the baths on the ones that had them were tiny, and those TCs were huge.

the best TCs mount on flatbeds. but then you're practically a class C.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:55 PM   #49

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
... the best TCs mount on flatbeds. but then you're practically a class C.
Those are also very tall, because the camper floor is above the tops of the truck tires.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:18 AM   #50

Trailer: 2012 E19
These days, I want to be at ground level when I wake up in the middle of the night and need to find the potty. With a TC, that first step... no thanks.
Old 11-24-2021, 11:03 AM   #51

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Camper vs Escape trlr

I had a 1 ton 4wd Dodge diesel dually to carry my camper for 9 years...it handled it nicely but the truck was terrible for off road exploring even with the camper unloaded. Bought an Escape 19 and a 4wd Tacoma and spent 4 months of the year for 8 years and 50,000 miles of traveling south. Much prefer the Escape trailer than the camper and my wife likes driving the mid size truck. Currently own a 21 Escape and towing with a newer Tacoma.
sprinkledavid@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 11:20 AM   #52

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Solo Hitching

A confession - I am not great backing up! I use a HiTow Trailer Hitch Coupler (alternatively, a DuraSafe CC001 Coupler) to help align the trailer to the ball. I found that you don't have to be "spot-on". It is self-aligning if you use a wheel on the jack post. Another big advantage is that it protects your bumper and registration plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
a major reason we have a trailer and not a TC or motorhome is we like to setup camp and then explore an area for several days, with a Motorhome you would need to pull a 'dinghy' car for this. Also, I found TCs' very top heavy and downright scary on mountain roads.

hitching/unhitching a bumper pull camper is quite easy. having a truck with a backup camera makes it even easier, but I can usually do it solo by hopping out, eyeballing things, getting back in the truck, moving, rinse repeat. on flat level ground, it often only takes me 2-3 hopouts to get it spot on. Of course, having an experienced spotter makes this much easier.

I would suggest a half ton truck for pulling an Escape or similar trailer, like an F150 or Dodge/Chevy 1500. I'm using an older F250 3/4 ton diesel which is overkill (and also has an awful turning circle, which can make maneuvering in tight spaces challenging).
suncoastdancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 12:19 PM   #53

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Here is a link https://www.amazon.com/LOVATIC-DuraS...mg_top?ie=UTF8

it appears to take the place of a "spotter".......for those who travel alone.
Old 11-24-2021, 12:36 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinkledavid@gmail.com View Post
I had a 1 ton 4wd Dodge diesel dually to carry my camper for 9 years...it handled it nicely but the truck was terrible for off road exploring even with the camper unloaded. Bought an Escape 19 and a 4wd Tacoma and spent 4 months of the year for 8 years and 50,000 miles of traveling south. Much prefer the Escape trailer than the camper and my wife likes driving the mid size truck. Currently own a 21 Escape and towing with a newer Tacoma.
You’ve hit one big issue - my Ram dually isn’t good off-road. I am looking at a Ranger for the 21C. I had looked at the Tacoma a few years back (I got a Colorado then) - but the Tacoma seat would not adjust high enough that I could see well.
Old 11-24-2021, 12:36 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
These days, I want to be at ground level when I wake up in the middle of the night and need to find the potty. With a TC, that first step... no thanks.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:06 PM   #56

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Until last year I had a Four Wheel Camper (FWC) popup truck camper and my Escape 17B. I've since sold the FWC and my older truck and purchased a new F150. And I'm looking for a new(er) FWC for the new truck.

The FWC was absolutely just great for early spring through late fall camping. Great for the back country or wandering down dirt roads for those out of the way camping spots. Or for a quick weekend or what I call "hopping" trips where I'm on the move every day or two.

The Escape I use for late fall, winter through early spring trips down to AZ. Its warmer, I've got more storage and once down here I tend to stay in one spot for a week or more.

I've found it's hard to be completely satisfied with just a trailer. I love my Escape but it's inhibiting to my wandering. So I can't wait to get another FWC again
advenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 09:00 AM   #57

Hi All,
Thank you, again, for your thoughtful responses. After careful consideration of some issues raised here, and my own desires (I REALLY like truck campers), I opted to stick with a truck camper (I cancelled the Escape order). I am selling my huge triple slide truck camper and have a new fiberglass truck camper (no slides) waiting for me to pick it up.
Interestingly, I am not going too far away from Escape in one aspect. The truck camper manufacturer of my new camper (Northern Lite) is based in Kelowna, BC - and owned by the same investment group that owns Escape Trailers…according to what I read online.
So - in a sense, I am staying in the Escape family, just with a cousin.
Safe travels to all.
Old 12-11-2021, 10:04 AM   #58

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Smile

Congrats, Lee-Ann, on reaching the decision to go with a no-slide fiberglass TC; you obviously have the TC experience to be confident that choice best fits your travel wants and needs

Please do let we, the vicariously interested, know which of the many Northern Lite models you selected?

Your post suggests that you are able to get your new TC immediately, is that correct?

In any case, wishing you many happy smiles with your updated rig!
Old 12-11-2021, 10:24 AM   #59

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemom3@verizon.net View Post
Hi All,
Thank you, again, for your thoughtful responses. After careful consideration of some issues raised here, and my own desires (I REALLY like truck campers), I opted to stick with a truck camper (I cancelled the Escape order). I am selling my huge triple slide truck camper and have a new fiberglass truck camper (no slides) waiting for me to pick it up.
Interestingly, I am not going too far away from Escape in one aspect. The truck camper manufacturer of my new camper (Northern Lite) is based in Kelowna, BC - and owned by the same investment group that owns Escape Trailers…according to what I read online.
So - in a sense, I am staying in the Escape family, just with a cousin.
Safe travels to all.
That is my dream Truck Camper if we ever go back to that. Great choice!
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 02:11 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Congrats, Lee-Ann, on reaching the decision to go with a no-slide fiberglass TC; you obviously have the TC experience to be confident that choice best fits your travel wants and needs

Please do let we, the vicariously interested, know which of the many Northern Lite models you selected?

Your post suggests that you are able to get your new TC immediately, is that correct?

In any case, wishing you many happy smiles with your updated rig!

Thank you for the good wishes. Yes, the NL is just waiting for me to come get it. Once I sell the one I am living in, I will pick up the NL. I am getting the NL 10-2 wet bath. I am completely excited for this!

Safe travels.