Tundra Towing Question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2018, 06:56 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape Wanna Be
Tundra Towing Question

Is there anyone on the forum who tows with a 2017 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 4X4, 5.7.

If so, would love to ask a few questions about the 3 equalizer hitch options as we are working on build sheet.

Thanks!

Bobby VanWinkle
Midlothian, TX
vanwinkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
For that TV and any Escape you don't need one any nore than I do with a Yukon. Never a sway issue with over 40K miles towing. We do use one (Pro Series) on long drives and/or windy conditions for a bit smoother ride. If we left home without it no big deal though. So personally I wouldnt spend $600 on the most expensive one they sell; already did that once when ETI was selling Andersen.

BTW, when we had a lot of issues with the Andersen the mfg. refunded us the MSRP of the hitch, which was a stand up thing to do IMO.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
We have a 2017 Tundra double cab 5.7 Limited with super springs added to the rear end. We tow a 21 with a regular hitch and an anti-sway bar. We have towed about 9,000 miles, so far we have not found a need for an equalizing hitch.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We towed our 19' with a 2004 Toyota Tundra (w/tow package) and used the Andersen setup. We were very happy with it. Now we will be towing a 21' with a 2018 Tundra and, after much discussion and research, decided to go with the E2by FastWay. Yes, it may be overkill; however, it will make us feel better. (BTW, when towing our 19' we went through some monstrous winds at times and were very glad we had the setup we did ... )

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:53 PM   #5

What is the difference between the E2 Fastway $625 and the Pro Series Equalizer Hitch with Sway Control for $475?

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2018, 07:55 PM   #6

Was wondering what was the deciding factor to get the super springs and does it affect the ride when not towing?

Bobby
Old 04-27-2018, 07:58 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have Pro Series without the sway control ( $350 ) and it does everything I need a WDH to do. I experience no sway with a properly loaded trailer.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwinkp View Post
Was wondering what was the deciding factor to get the super springs and does it affect the ride when not towing?

Bobby
We carry a generator above the propane tanks and have a truck bed cap, so have a a lot of weight on the rear end of the truck. The super springs eliminate any rear end sag. I don't notice any affect such as a rough ride when not towing.

We had sumo springs on our 4Runner when towing our Casita FD17 with a generator. I liked the feel of our 4Runner when towing, but they made the 4Runner ride roughly when we were not towing.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
We carry a generator above the propane tanks and have a truck bed cap, so have a a lot of weight on the rear end of the truck. The super springs eliminate any rear end sag. I don't notice any affect such as a rough ride when not towing.

We had sumo springs on our 4Runner when towing our Casita FD17 with a generator. I liked the feel of our 4Runner when towing, but they made the 4Runner ride roughly when we were not towing.
RichardR-did you get high lift axle? Sounds like we have same tow vehicle and was wondering what type of gas mileage we can expect in tow mode?

Thanks for everyone's helpful answers!!

Bobby
Old 04-27-2018, 08:20 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:

Richard what are you using to carry your generator above the propane tanks ? Any pictures ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Richard what are you using to carry your generator above the propane tanks ? Any pictures ? Pat
I use the Orbital Machine Works platform. Here's a picture of it when I had it on our Casita. I moved it to our Escape 21. It now has a sliding door in front of the propane tanks.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:31 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
I use the Orbital Machine Works platform. Here's a picture of it when I had it on our Casita. I moved it to our Escape 21. It now has a sliding door in front of the propane tanks.
Thankyou , Richard ! Will check out ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:58 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwinkp View Post
What is the difference between the E2 Fastway $625 and the Pro Series Equalizer Hitch with Sway Control for $475?!
The E2 is one of a few WD systems in which the ends of the spring bars ride in brackets on the trailer frame, sliding in the brackets to accommodate turns. The friction of that sliding reduces swaying.

The Pro Series WD (which doesn't have "Equalizer" anywhere in its name, despite the listing on the Escape website) is the more traditional design of WD system, with a chain attached to the end of each spring bar, pulling down on a bracket on the trailer frame. It doesn't have the deliberate friction feature of the E2 (and others).

The "with Sway Control" in the Pro Series description means that at that price, it includes a separate bar-style friction device to reduce sway.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:31 AM   #14

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
We tow our 21 with a 2016 Tundra. I have the pro-series WD. Although you don’t need a WD on a Tundra, IMO it makes for a much smoother tow experience, and it’s not that big a deal to hook it up. I used the Anti-sway bar for the first time, coming across Oklahoma this month when we got caught in some high winds. It did’t push us around bad, but I had the bar so ,pulled over, put it on and continued on to the campground. We were 3 days in that campground waiting for the winds to die down.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:05 PM   #15

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I replaced the Anderson WDH with the Fastaway E2 on my Classic 19’. It is so much easier to hook up. I will say the ride feels a bit different because the Anderson pulls the hitch tight to the ball so the force is against the rear of the ball instead of the front. I wasn’t used to the slight “slop” in the connection with the Fastaway.

In any case I paid a lot less at etrailer.com.

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...2-00-0600.html
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote