TV Bed Length and 2WD vs 4WD - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2020, 06:58 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
, and if all you're planning to do is travel from developed site to developed site, 2WD would be perfectly sufficient.
Oh yah, that's my style, developed site to developed site. So the 2WD does me just fine.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P1250035_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:35 AM   #22

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
From our home in Wisconsin, Grainger Indiana is about half way to Florida so I would believe the climate would be semi tropical or on the Northern edge of the Citrus Belt ?

Granger, being just outside of South Bend, is in the "LaPorte Effect" Snow Island. The Great Lakes create bands of reliably heavy snow areas along the southern edges of the lakes. Buffalo is one of the more famous of the snow islands. South Bend has one too, and gets about 20 inches per year less than Buffalo. Granger is just on the edge of the snow island.

When I was a kid growing up, I thought everyone got two feet of snow on the ground throughout the Winter. It was only when i went away to university that I found out, once you leave the snow island, the snow levels go down to about six inches. I have been told the snow levels have decreased in recent years.

I was in a dispersed camping area this weekend in the Medicine Bow mountains that required 4WD due to slight slopes of native grasses that were wet. It doesn't take much some times.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:49 PM   #23

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Many people in the south are happy with 2wd pulling their camper. I watch TravelingRobert on YouTube and he has a 2wd Canyon. Your in the north, you’ll want a 4wd for the snow.

Many years ago, we had a Ford Freestar that pulled a Fleetwood tent trailer. We had this site in Algonquin Park, it was at the bottom of the hill on loose gravel. We had no traction, couldn’t even budge the trailer. Our neighbor noticed our predicament and offered a tow with his F250. This is another reason why I advise people to stay around 50% tow capacity.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:40 PM   #24

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
2wd vs 4x4

WE are splitting the difference..WE bought a Frontier 2wd V6 LONG BED, Dbl Cab(4dr) truck in 2017 when we ordered our 17'Casita..did fine for that lighter TT WE like the size truck and the longer bed(73")..holds alot of gear.

Decided early that the Cassy was too small, w all the grand kids coming along so sold it last yr and ordered the E21C last yr and finally got to pick it up in Phoenix in early JUNE(covid). Hauled her from Phoenix up thru the mountains some and across desert and back to TN, camping our way home 3 weeks. Two other trips to E TN(mountains again) since then.
Thoughts..the V6 (260hp) Frontier is fine in flat ground and hills, but anemic on long uphill climbs in real mountains. and I don't care what the ads say..it just ain't got the pulling power..unless you like the thing dropping into 2nd gear on the highway(5000RPM) I wd keep it if it had 50 more HP.

Now we ware looking for a Full Size long bed truck, w a V8 and 4x4..[been near stuck w the 2wd Fronty a couple of times]. I do not want a dbl cab truck w those tiny short beds..we like room..so it looks like a dbl cab, F250 or a Nissan Titan XD (6.5' bed)will be in the cards..the TitAN HAS A 5.2L MOTOR..LOAFS ALONG ACC TO THOSE I'VE seen..we'll just hafta look,
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:17 PM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
another thing to consider, crew cabs (4 door) trucks often have less payload as the cab is just that much bigger, more stuff in it.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:53 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
Many years ago, we had a Ford Freestar that pulled a Fleetwood tent trailer. We had this site in Algonquin Park, it was at the bottom of the hill on loose gravel. We had no traction, couldn’t even budge the trailer. Our neighbor noticed our predicament and offered a tow with his F250. This is another reason why I advise people to stay around 50% tow capacity.
Since the towing rating has almost nothing to do with traction, this rule of thumb makes no sense to me. The F-250 wasn't more effective in this case because it has a high tow rating... it was simply heavier.

Something like keeping trailer axle weight below some chosen fraction of gross tow vehicle weight would make sense to me. In this case the Freestar was front wheel drive, which suffers adverse load transfer due to tongue weight and due to the ascending grade. Perhaps keeping trailer axle weight below some chosen fraction of gross tow vehicle driven axle weight?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:05 PM   #27

ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Since the towing rating has almost nothing to do with traction, this rule of thumb makes no sense to me. The F-250 wasn't more effective in this case because it has a high tow rating... it was simply heavier.

Something like keeping trailer axle weight below some chosen fraction of gross tow vehicle weight would make sense to me. In this case the Freestar was front wheel drive, which suffers adverse load transfer due to tongue weight and due to the ascending grade. Perhaps keeping trailer axle weight below some chosen fraction of gross tow vehicle driven axle weight?

Yeah..the Tow Cap of my Frontier Crew Cab is listed @ 6500 lbs..that of a 4x4 version is 6250..both well below the weight of E21 and some gear..but alas, the mountains showed me that 260 HP was just not enuf ooompf to haul the 21 ....comfortably. WE got tired fast of turning off the AC in 100* AZ & NM desert towing, then still having to listen to the truck drop down gear after gear til she dropped into 2nd gear fairly often..running 4500 RPM going up those longer hills.....and we do not tow at a rapid rate.
I like the size and comfort of my truck ..she carries 4 big adults w ease and the longer bed is great for camping gear(73")and if Nissan had one w a turbo V6, I wd buy one tomorrow.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:08 PM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

As you say, the Freestar (fka Windstar) is a FWD minivan, and it probably had highway tires, thats a terrible combination for towing traction on gravel, especially uphill..
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:43 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
One speed transfer case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel108 View Post
I don't think I've ever really needed the 4WD benefits of my Land Rover in a towing situation (I've used it on off-road situations plenty), but I do enjoy going into low range when I'm backing the trailer, as it makes minor and slow movements much easier. An example would be backing up onto leveling blocks. Backing on level ground, it will move the trailer nicely on idle, so all I have to do is control the brake. So that is another benefit of (some) 4WD vehicles for towing.
When recently beginning to explore new truck possibilities, I noticed GM pickups with 4WD only offer a two-speed transfer case (low range, high range) as an additional charge option.

I didn't really know there was such a thing as a one speed transfer case, but it's the default, and it was on a high end version Silverado 3.0L diesel. So for those who like 4WD, as I do, don't accidentally buy the one speed if it matters to you.

Personally I love low range, as described above, and I use it every time I can remember.

Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:51 AM   #30

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
When recently beginning to explore new truck possibilities, I noticed GM pickups with 4WD only offer a two-speed transfer case (low range, high range) as an additional charge option.

I didn't really know there was such a thing as a one speed transfer case, but it's the default, and it was on a high end version Silverado 3.0L diesel. So for those who like 4WD, as I do, don't accidentally buy the one speed if it matters to you.

Personally I love low range, as described above, and I use it every time I can remember.

Bill
Our 2019 Ram 1500 has 4 wheel low - 4 wheel high - 4 wheel auto - 2 wheel high - neutral
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:43 AM   #31

Trailer: 2010 escape 19
After towing my escape19 in the mountains of west virginia with a Several rear wheel drive Mercedes and with the latest all week drive for heavy towing get the 4 or all wheel drive. Steering and climbing under load is so much easier.

My first experience with 4 wheel was years ago in a heavy snow storm on a two lane road, I was slipping and sliding until I decided to active the Jeep all wheel. No more slipping and I drove the next 150 miles much more relaxed.

Paul in Toronto
paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:11 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
get 4wd for sure. so good to have in unexpected situations (sand, loose dirt, bad weather)

and if you have serious 4WD (not AWD) i believe you can just keep it switched off 'till you need it, on most all vehicles.... i think?

also watch some of Matts Towing and Recovery (youTube) - he often rescues 2wd vehicles that are towing, and he says "towing something makes it MUCH easier to get stuck!" and he is an expert.

just my 2c.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:17 PM   #33

Trailer: Awaiting build of E5.0 TA
Hi folks, another person with same question here. Lots of discussion on thread about 4WD v. 2 WD. But does anyone tow a 5.0 with a Tundra with the 5' 6" bed? I have seen postings of folks who use the Tundra that has 6' 6" bed successfully. Thanks!
JRManning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:54 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRManning View Post
Hi folks, another person with same question here. Lots of discussion on thread about 4WD v. 2 WD. But does anyone tow a 5.0 with a Tundra with the 5' 6" bed? I have seen postings of folks who use the Tundra that has 6' 6" bed successfully. Thanks!
That’s exactly the vehicle we are thinking if and I’m a bit worried about the 5.5’ bed....
Jgntch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:31 PM   #35

New TV

Just scheduled a test drive on a near-new Crew-Cab Nissan Titan XD 4x4, V8 gas motor.. w long bed. This may be the one, as it has all we wanted and noting we don't. WE'll see