Ultimate Anderson Hitch Install - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2018, 12:07 PM   #21

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Today's Update

I found the area under the forward rail center bolt hole would be easy to access and drilled the hole. At this time nothing is permanently installed.

The aft rail center bolt holes on the other hand end up over a black box or tank. I could feel with my hand some empty space between the bed and this box. I believe enough space to be able to mount a center bolt on the aft rail. The issue will be can I drop this box or tank enough to do so.
Attached Thumbnails
1_Forward_Rail_Center_Bolt_DSC_1837.JPG   2_Spacer_Front_Rail_Center_Under_ Bed_DSC_1839.jpg   3_Forward_Rail_Under_Bed_Mount_DSC_1842.JPG   4_Rear_Rail_Center_Bolt_Area_Under_Bed_DSC_1843.JPG  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:16 PM   #22

Spacer

Here is drawing of what the spacer will look like when finished. As pictured, the bolts will pass through the slots and attach to frame brackets and the slot side will face out against the truck bed flange (see 3rd picture of 1st Post).

The spacer will be slightly thicker than the flange is deep. The ridge on top will bite into metal when bolted to help prevent the spacer from moving or vibrating out, this is one of three ways to prevent the spacers from moving. The second is using Nord-Lock multi-functional lock washers. The third I will have to explain with pictures at later date. My backup plan is to have couple extra spacers made to have with me on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Spacer.jpg   Nord-Lock_Multifunction_Wedge_Lock_Washer.jpg  
Old 02-04-2018, 11:39 PM   #23

Trailer: 2011 Escape 5.0
Is there a commercial alternative to your custom made spacers? Are your spacers made of steel or aluminum?

Rick
lzcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzcamper View Post
Is there a commercial alternative to your custom made spacers? Are your spacers made of steel or aluminum?

Rick
Rick, no commercial alternative for spacer I'm installing. If you have not done so you can download the instructions for Towpower Universal Rail kit here https://www.reese-hitches.com/produc...cket_Kit,30035

Click to download instructions under the Installation Tab, this will give you idea on how a standard universal rail kit is installed on full-size truck and how they mount the stock spacers. The install is no different on late model Colorado/Canyon other than the flange to work around and being next to where bolts come through the bed.

On full size truck the bolts would be further inboard and not on top of frame rails as they are on the Colorado/Canyon due to truck width. Plus there is more space underneath full size truck bed.

The standard install uses the spacers provided on each bolt. Where my spacer will encapsulate both bolts. You could mount a stack of spacers that come with universal rail kit. My concern with this method is to prevent the spacers from vibrating out over time (see picture of spacer posted yesterday). The other alternative is to cut and bend back the flange. If you do this make sure you coat the cuts with rust inhibitor such as POR-15.

The spacers are made of steel. Aluminum in my opinion would be to soft of a metal for this purpose.

When I decided to take on the project it was one step at a time and when faced with a roadblock work through it. I still have 90 days left to solve any more roadblocks, but do not foresee any as the flange seems to be the biggest issue I will have.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:05 PM   #25

Why My Spacer Design

Rick see pictures attached should help understand the whole spacer dilemma I was faced with. On full size truck the 2 outboard bolts of rail would pass through recessed area either on top of bed or below bed. Above bed the spacer fills void between bed recess and rail. Underneath the bed, the spacer provides more surface contact area to prevent tear through as you might get with using a small washer.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard Spacer Install DSC_1840.jpg   Above bed spacer DSC_1837.jpg  
Old 02-06-2018, 02:37 PM   #26

Kent, I really appreciate all of the information that you have provided about installing the rails for your hitch. I'm still "hemming & hawing" about whether to do the installation myself or have it done by a local installer. It's just that I've not found one around here (Ventura area) that has installed the fifth wheel rails in a Canyon/Colorado. Maybe, I should just order the parts and go for it. My little 5.0 is sitting in RV storage just waiting to be towed.

Thanks again, Rick
Old 02-06-2018, 09:48 PM   #27

Quote:
Kent, I really appreciate all of the information that you have provided about installing the rails for your hitch. I'm still "hemming & hawing" about whether to do the installation myself or have it done by a local installer. It's just that I've not found one around here (Ventura area) that has installed the fifth wheel rails in a Canyon/Colorado. Maybe, I should just order the parts and go for it. My little 5.0 is sitting in RV storage just waiting to be towed.

Thanks again, Rick
You are Welcome!

Regardless what you end up doing don't hesitate to reach out I will help where I can.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:14 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:

Thanks again, Rick
Iz, you're obviously the best to know about current "local installers", but the skill sets are probably there and available. With platform activity down, there must be oilfield welders to choose from, and I'm sure that many of the shingles out in the Port Hueneme/Oxnard area are those of ex seabee steel workers or machinist mates attached to seabee battallions. I have worked with them all. They almost all enjoy adult after hours activities, but if you get good hearsay or other feedback, then they should be fine. Especially with Kent's good, annotated pix...
Old 02-08-2018, 11:25 AM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:

Thanks again, Rick
Rick,
I just saw this thread and your discussion, so I called my old workplace (retired from Oxnard Fire Dept), where there are a bunch of experts at towing trailers.
Bill's Trailer Hitch in Ventura is highly regarded. C&S RV in Oxnard was also. There is an RV place in Thousand Oaks that got high marks, but the guys I talked with couldn't remember the name. (There's not too many in TO.) Eckhart in Oxnard and in TO has been used by some.
The concensus was: call, and for sure compare prices.

If you're looking for a welder, Vega Welding in Santa Paula is reasonably priced and does excellent work. They do a lot of welding for area farmers. There's also Chaney Welding in Somis
(across the street from Fulkerson Hardware and down the street from Fire Station 57).

Hope this helps a bit.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:30 PM   #30

It's interesting that some trailer places will not install a fifth wheel hitch in a small truck. I called Bill's and they said "no" for that reason. I'm sure that they have never seen our small Escape fivers and how they fit with a Canyon/Colorado. Maybe it's a liability issue. The Thousand Oaks trailer hitch installer is Mike at Conejo Trailers. He did a good job installing a 5th wheel hitch in my Tundra in 2003. This afternoon, I'm going to show him the Canyon to see what he can do.

Thanks for your help, Rick
Old 02-17-2018, 10:51 AM   #31

Steel Spacer

Received machined steel spacer, this is first steel prototype so I can test fit and see it in place.

Next step mill down to needed thickness while leaving a ridge on top of spacer.
Attached Thumbnails
Metal_Spacer_Prototype_DSC_1861.jpg   Spacer_Steel_Protoype_DSC_1862.jpg  
Old 02-23-2018, 02:04 PM   #32

Is there a T connecter that will plug into the existing OEM trailer wiring (that includes the brake controller) and adapt it for a fifth wheel outlet in the bed of the truck?

Rick
Old 02-23-2018, 02:22 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Yes and you can get them from Amazon or Etrailer. Just be aware of the length of the connector which fits in the truck bed and choose a location for drilling the hole where there is enough space between the side of the truck bed and the fender.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:36 PM   #34

Thanks for your prompt answer. I did a search, but didn't know exactly what to look for. It seems like what I saw were not just "plug & play", but require some additional splicing.

Rick
Old 02-23-2018, 03:31 PM   #35

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Is there a T connecter that will plug into the existing OEM trailer wiring (that includes the brake controller) and adapt it for a fifth wheel outlet in the bed of the truck?
See your thread dedicated to this question for more information.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:49 PM   #36

Finished Spacers

Here are finished spacers to be installed. I have modified the spacer design somewhat based on how I will now install them.

Almost there!
Attached Thumbnails
Finished_Spacers_DSC_1866.jpg  
Old 02-28-2018, 09:17 PM   #37

Spacers Installed

Here is view of one spacer installed and torqued per instructions to 85 ft. lbs. but have all four spacers installed. The Anderson hitch at this point is very solid and I can remove and install the hitch with no problem. I’ve decided to forgo the ridge on top of the spacer in favor of drilling pilot holes through the flange and into the spacer.

Once the pilot hole is drilled I can remove the spacers, drill the flange for 5/16” bolts and apply POR-15 to the spacers. Then I will have the spacers drilled and tapped for grade 8 5/16 x 1” fine thread bolts.

The 5/8 bolts will serve two purposes, they will hold the spacer against the flange preventing them from vibrating/sliding out, but based on results thus far. I don’t think they will ever slide out even without the 5/16 bolts through the flange. Having the spacers held up with the flange bolts will also allow for easier installation of the frame brackets to the frame.

Obviously each spacer once drilled will be specific to each location and I will have to take care in marking each spacer for its location.

Once I have completed this, the next step is to attach the frame brackets to the frame and carriage bolt going through the bed, through the spacer and to the universal hitch rail.

66 days until I depart for Chilliwack!
Attached Thumbnails
Spacer_Mounting_DSC_1870.jpg  
Old 03-03-2018, 09:04 AM   #38

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:

Rick
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...lug-12384.html

iz, might want to follow this thread. it's a discussion on the efficacy of the bed plug. I have one, and use it, but others don't. The don'ters make some good points.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:05 PM   #39

Spacer Drilled & Tapped

Test fit the first spacer today after drilling and tapping for 5/16" bolt. Spacer installation is working as planned. I decided on one bolt per spacer as two bolts would be overkill. Now I can tap the remaining three spacers and then apply POR-15.

About 30 plus days I should be close to getting first build pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Spacer_Hole_Tapped_DSC_1876.jpg   Spacer_Test_Install_DSC_1874.jpg  
Old 03-05-2018, 03:08 PM   #40

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
What an exceptional tutorial for small Chevy/GMC truck owners. Kudos to you Kent!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote