Using the rear hitch for repositioning? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2020, 10:08 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Not sure what your point is Glenn, but looking straight at an item is a lot better than looking in the rear view mirror or trying to turn your head around 180 degrees, which way do you prefer?
Not really. The inside rear-view mirror is useless, of course, but as Glenn already explained the side mirrors are beyond each side of the tow vehicle, and should be at least partially beyond the trailer sides - their view is alongside the trailer, not of the middle of the front of it.

Backing up with side mirrors (turning your head much less than 90 degrees each way) is effectively like hanging your head out both side windows of the tow vehicle, which is much better than sitting behind the wheel looking at the front of the trailer. I prefer the mirrors.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Aside from hitch capacity issues without an A-frame extended away from the trailer shell like on the front any turning will almost immediately cause the tow vehicle to hit the trailer.
Good catch.

Also, the truck (presumably) has a receiver hitch... and so does the trailer. You put a ball mount in the truck hitch; on the trailer side, this would presumably mean something like a 2" square extension with a coupler bolted on the end of it. You can't just hook them up without building something.

The two issues (turning clearance and the need for an additional piece of hardware) sort of fix each other, since the length of the ball mount and of the part inserted in the trailer's receiver would provide some space and so some turning clearance. Unfortunately, the longer the part inserted in the trailer's receiver the more it risks damaging the trailer's structure.

It's still probably not a great idea.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:43 PM   #23
Dee

Trailer: 2019 21'
OK - that was clearly NOT a good idea, for the various reasons you have outlined. I'm glad I asked!
Thanks for all your advice.
Dee
Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:30 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have limited clearance backing into my yard from a narrow alley, I found spray painting a marker for the 2 tires, using basic mathematical calculations, on the approach way helps me center the trailer where it needs to go, without worrying about clearance issues. It has worked for past 8 years.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:59 AM   #25

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Hi, We are working on finding the best spot in our yard to position our 21' for storage this winter. Positioning it with the truck is a bit tricky because of lack of turning space.
A front mounted hitch is great for maneuvering in tight spaces. Backing my trailers around a tree and into their parking spaces was easy when I had a Jeep Wrangler. When I went to 20' long F250 it was next to impossible. That's when I added a front hitch.

When I switched from an F250 to a 19' long Sprinter van I was relieved when I found a front hitch for it also. I can turn the trailer 90 degrees in less than the length of the trailer. It is absolutely necessary to get the trailers, where I want them.

As I mentioned in another post, the trailer responds instantly to steering inputs when using a front hitch. Plus, it makes it easier as you are seeing exactly what the trailer is doing. Your mind doesn't have to process the mirror image.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:18 AM   #26

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
The rear hitch has been used before

https://i.imgur.com/aCSwmsZ.gif
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:24 AM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B1 View Post
The rear hitch has been used before

https://i.imgur.com/aCSwmsZ.gif
This video is in jest showing the stupidity of some people towing.....
Old 10-19-2020, 10:52 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
This video is in jest showing the stupidity of some people towing.....
Although I would never, never do this I am willing to bet the person involved did not have a truck to tow his 5th wheel and had to move it somehow. It is both humorous and scary.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:35 AM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B1 View Post
Although I would never, never do this I am willing to bet the person involved did not have a truck to tow his 5th wheel and had to move it somehow. It is both humorous and scary.
Although it shows that the person could probably re-position the unit in a storage setting without difficulty.

I'm not sure that the OP meant doing a hookup that still used the nose wheel or a complete hookup that left the front unsupported.

I do think that a slow speed re-positioning could be done if the nose wheel still carried some weight. But a hookup as shown, with the front unsupported makes me wonder what the pin weight was and how close was it to lifting the tow vehicle back end off the ground.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:25 PM   #30

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Be very careful using a front hitch on dual axle trailers.

Yes you can turn the trailer fast...but at what cost to the folded over tires and suspension.

My brother in law took his stick trailer to the RV repair shop and on pick up, it did not follow the truck properly. He limped back to the shop and the head service guy said they had a new guy on the forklift and he has turned your trailer to fast resulting in both your rear spring hangers beenIng sheared off.

When he went back to pick up the fixed trailer up a few days later, the owner of the shop said they did not break it and that he brought it in that way. The owner would not release the trailer unless he paid the $400 bill to weld the hangers. The head service guy that admitted the problem was no where to be found.

By brother in law had no idea what stress they had applied to the sidewalls and inner cords of his aging tires...so they had to replace them as well.

All that expense on top of paying $225 for two new door stops and two new hatch clips.

Needless to say there is not one person in the are of 100 Mile House BC that has not heard his story dealing with that repair shop.

I know we don’t have the same suspension but it does demonstrate the possible sideways load that the suspension is not designed for.

I have used the bucket of my tractor which has a ball that slides in, to move both our Escape and cargo trailer. However I find it super touchy driving the trailers into position. I also found you are driving blind as you can not see down the sides as good as you can when backing up using the truck mirrors.

Our Escape is parked along 3 large trees and the one and last time I used the tractor I came within an inch of smashing the side of the trailer. The trees were now half way along the side of the trailer. To get it back out safely I had to switch from the tractor to the truck so I could see down the side and remove it without damage.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:58 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Although it shows that the person could probably re-position the unit in a storage setting without difficulty.

I'm not sure that the OP meant doing a hookup that still used the nose wheel or a complete hookup that left the front unsupported.

I do think that a slow speed re-positioning could be done if the nose wheel still carried some weight. But a hookup as shown, with the front unsupported makes me wonder what the pin weight was and how close was it to lifting the tow vehicle back end off the ground.

Ron
Agreed. I would think if they went at any speed there would be an accident. Note that I did post this for comic relief and not as a suggestion. I was a little shocked when I saw it the first time.
Old 10-19-2020, 02:35 PM   #32

The rear hitch idea has been dropped, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

I do think that a slow speed re-positioning could be done if the nose wheel still carried some weight.
I would hope it would have been using a nose wheel (on the tongue jack), since otherwise the trailer would be lifting up on the truck's hitch... substantially, even with an Escape.

One consequence of having a nose wheel supporting the front would be that the extension linking the trailer's rear hitch to the truck would need a horizontal axis hinge it unless the area is perfectly flat, making this extension a drawbar.